United States
Charlottesville Triathlon Club
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 55m 24s
Overall Rank = 66/113
Age Group = Females 25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/26
Pre-race routine:

Some stretching, drove the bike course the night before, had half a luna bar and a few gummy bears.
Swim
  • 12m 36s
  • 482 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

First open water swim. The ground was muddy which made it hard both starting and finishing. I also had a lot of trouble breathing and had to do breast stroke for a bit of it. I'm also not used to swimming with that many people around. Definitely different, but now I've got my first open water done so I have a better idea of what to expect next time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition. pretty quick.

Bike
  • 1h 04m 34s
  • 17 miles
  • 15.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm glad I'm used to riding hills, now I just need to work on racing up them. I almost bit it on the first hard left turn that was at the bottom of a hill, but managed to keep control and not fall over. definitely a challenging course, but not too hard if you're used to riding up hills.
What would you do differently?:

Practice racing up hills more.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition. Dropped my gu at the beginning of the run but that only added a few seconds of time to go back & get it.
Run
  • 38m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I just lost it at this point. The run was awful. I had a horrid cramp from the beginning of the run, and running in the woods on a trail like that was very technically difficult. I expected more of a packed limestone trail and not a single track dirt trail with branches & roots & lots of crazy curves and hills. When I saw the first mile marker I started crying. I just mentally went downhill. It was so hard. I ended up walking at least half of it, both because I was physically unable to handle it and because the trail itself was so much more difficult than I expected.
What would you do differently?:

I will not do trail runs again. and I will try to hold it together better mentally too. I think thats what did me in, the mental breakdown.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around. stretched a little. had water and a bite of banana (but they were all green)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

physically and mentally this was a hard race. But it was definitely the mental break down that limited me this time.

Event comments:

All overall rankings are for females only. They didnt post results for men & women combined. In total there were 275 people in the race.

I will not do this race again, or if I do it will be in several years. It was a lot more difficult than I was expecting. I thought this would be a cake race and I might place in my age group. After seeing how difficult the bike course would be I think I psyched myself out and it was all downhill from there. I did not like the trail run and will not be doing trail races again. Pavement is fine with me. I need to work on being more positive mentally too.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:36 | 482 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/26
Overall: 26/113
Performance: Average
Group 1 females 29 & Under. 5th Group to swim.
Suit: regular swimsuit
Course: open water lake swim. out, around 1st buoy, swim along coast, around 2nd buoy, back to shore.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:04:34 | 17 miles | 15.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 41/113
Performance: Good
avg: 16.48 max: 34.3
Wind: Some
Course: Long hilly and curvy course. had to break on a lot of the really steep & curvy downhills. The course looked worse when driving it than actually biking it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:15 | 03.1 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/26
Overall: 99/113
Performance: Bad
Course: Trail in woods. Lots of steep hills (both up and down). Lots of turns, lots of tree roots & branches.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2005-06-21 8:36 AM

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: Charlottesville Sprint Triathlon

2005-06-21 8:47 AM
in reply to: #179549

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Charlottesville Sprint Triathlon
Way to hang in there! There is an upcoming Xtera off-road tri here in Jax & I'm avoiding because of trail running. Anyway, keep training & keep racing - great job!
2005-06-21 11:05 PM
in reply to: #179549

Master
Colorado
You finished, and not badly either   Nice job. Where did you find the pics? 
2005-06-22 8:12 AM
in reply to: #180524

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh, PA
I was surprised when I saw the results. I thought for sure I was dead last, but it actually wasn't too bad.

The pics were taken by my friend who came with me to cheer me on. Yay for friendly moral support and digital cameras
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlottesville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed