General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip strengthening Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-03 9:09 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: Hip strengthening
I found out that one side of my hip is super weak compared to the other and as a result is causing me all kinds of pain running etc.  I have some ART treatments going on to deal with the scare tissue and what not already developed but now I need to add some strength to it to ensure I don't end up back in this boat again.  I knew I should have kept my lifting routine in the program.  Blah.

Anyways, does anyone know of good routines that focus on that area?  I have access to free weights and a Bowflex machine as well as some bands.  I know the obvious squats and lunges.  Right now I am doing single leg squats with no weights to try and slowly build back up.  Note, it is a pretty much all around weakness. 

2010-04-04 6:13 PM
in reply to: #2766301

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Subject: RE: Hip strengthening
The single leg split squat is a great idea. Try holding out and twisting a med ball or plate during your motion to help strengthen your transverse abs. Those are key core muscles that influence stability and balance.

Also, try this variation from a side plank. During the side plank, lift up your top leg and move it up and down and/or side to side - basically any motions that are challenging. You could even use an ankle attachment on some cables or perhaps the Bowflex to add resistance. (Now that I have to get on Youtube, it's an awesome twist on a Men's health highlight exercise, the cables just get it done)

I also recommend yoga. Either research on some deep balancing poses (e.g. Hatha, Power Yoga, Iyengar) or take a class. Yoga is extremely therapeutic and could be highly beneficial for you.

That's a tough situation man, keep your focus in all your training, and best of luck.      
2010-04-05 5:27 AM

User image

New user

Hi.
I'm having the same problem (=challenge).
My right hip muscles are almost constantly tight or fatigued.

My physiotherapist suggested that actually the muscles in my right thigh are very tight, so I'd benefit of not running downhill (I live in an area with a lot of hills, and love running downhill... now I stopped  that :D).

I also have weakness in my back, which is both cause and result of an overly tired hip muscle.
I'm strengthening my Tensor Fascia Latae muscle by doing hip abduction exercises (google on that or try here ).

I also have very tight hamstring muscles, which makes the lower back compensate and the hips muscles, too.
--> single leg squats should be a good exercise, too.

As for me, I might have some weak muscles in  my buttocks, so here too, my hip muscles are overcompensation, especially in running uphill.
--> I started doing exercises to strengthen the gluteus maximus, - medius and minimus,
by exercises like "step up/down" and doing bridges while raising one leg.

Although not made for triathletes, I use this web side. www.exrx.net a lot, it has a lot of different exercises for almost every muscle in the body, and you can choose different equipment.
You also get charts and pictures of the muscles used.

When I stopped running downhill I got better, my hip muscles relaxed. But I still think strength training in order to achieve muscle balanse is the way to go.

I'll have a look at this thread from now on, and looking forward to more answers.

Good luck with your training!

Smile
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strengthening/resistance_bands/standing_abduction.ph

Edited by Imke 2010-04-05 5:28 AM
2010-04-05 7:10 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
That is a neat site, thanks.  I'll have to add the hip adduction and abduction exercises into my routine I think.  I'll start with the band and maybe move to the cables in a few weeks.  If nothing else it should make me look better in a bathing suit right?

I am hoping between ART and strengthing I pretty sure I can keep this at bay.  I only had one ART session so far and it seems to have helped a lot pain wise.  Went for my long run yesterday and it took a lot longer to get sore and this time only part of my leg felt it instead of the whole bloody thing.  Progress.  
2010-04-05 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2768179

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Imke - 2010-04-05 6:27 AM Hi.

Although not made for triathletes, I use this web side. www.exrx.net a lot, it has a lot of different exercises for almost every muscle in the body, and you can choose different equipment.
You also get charts and pictures of the muscles used.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strengthening/resistance_bands/standing_abduction.ph

Oh man, I love exrx.net. I forgot all about that resource until now. It is old school, but it is awesome.
2010-04-06 12:01 AM

Expert
Ann Arbor
How often should exercises targeting the hips be done?

2010-04-06 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2770376

User image

Payson, AZ
carlwithac - 2010-04-05 10:01 PM How often should exercises targeting the hips be done?

I personally am going to treat it like any other muscle strengthening I would do and target that muscle 2-3 times per week. 
2010-04-06 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2768748

User image

New user

Yes, isn't www.exrx.net a great place to get inspired to train strength?
I'm using it so often, designing and structuring my strength training programs.
Awesome.
And I actually like the "old school" look on some of the pictures..

But I have recognized that they are adding new pictures and exercises quite often.
Great
 - - - - -
I generally do strength training 1-2x a week, or try to have at least one day in between, best would be two. But I try to stretch a little the other days (but man, this is hard to remember..), or massage the muscles, so they'll get more relaxed.
Remember, muscles get stronger while resting...

Edited by Imke 2010-04-06 11:14 AM
2010-04-12 2:37 AM

My physio also like http://www.myfit.ca. Apparently some of the techniques are demonstrated well on here.
2010-04-12 1:37 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Sharyn5 2010-04-12 1:39 PM
2010-04-14 11:07 AM

Extreme Veteran

2010-04-14 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2791211

Payson, AZ
kevmk81 - 2010-04-14 9:07 AM http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--13410-0,00.h... />
Excellant article, thanks.  Those are two of the exercises I have been doing and it seems to really be helping. 
2010-05-23 8:51 PM

Regular
Olathe, KS
My chiro. told me (currently fighting ITBS) that the old school leg lifts are about as good as it gets as far as strengthening the hip abductors.  I was also told by my PT that the leg opener upper machine (technical term) will hit the hips as well, but I guess it wouldn't do a good job of isolating one of them if that is what you are after. 

I like the runners world article referenced earlier, basically the same thing but with bands.  I hope to find that that and rolling the IT band to loosen it will help with the knee pain.  I know that long term strengthening the gluteus medius and the tensor fascia latea will prevent further damage.

Great thread, continue with the great info (exrx.net was key)

2010-06-29 7:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Orlando, Florida
I have chronically tight hips, with very little internal rotation (ability to rotate legs inwards towards the other). I have started using this routine and I can definitely feel some of these exercises in my tight inner glutes

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?do=view&member_id=325&video_id...
2012-10-23 11:02 PM

I am regular doing Pilates exercise for back that it contributes to give me healthy and painless back through by Back pain exercises. By doing these Pilate exercise My hips became tone and be in shape. the website http://www.pilates-back-joint-exercise.com/hip-muscles.html provides me a lots of article and e-books of Pilates exercise for my hips muscle tone and to make in shape and by the help of these article I am start doing Pilate exercise and get relief from  back pain and joint pain

2012-11-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2951845

Veteran
austin, Texas
kevint - 2010-06-30 12:16 PMI have chronically tight hips, with very little internal rotation (ability to rotate legs inwards towards the other). I have started using this routine and I can definitely feel some of these exercises in my tight inner gluteshttp://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?do=view&member_id=325&video_id=8190
Wow that got me tired. Definitely way less flexible on one side, like the OP. I'll keep gong these a few times a week, along with my pigeon pose, figure 4s with a knee bent stretches.Keep the suggestions coming!

2012-11-08 9:33 AM

Regular
Smyrna (ATL)

For hips, reccomend various types of monster walks with resistance bands.  Most functional thing I have found for the hips. I do leg weights once a week (squats, lunges, etc) and use these then. I use the bands from lifeline USA (30 lb). They have a video that shows the exercises. I do 5 different exercises with these bands on leg day.

Promo video shows bands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbyo0rJoiBY

For workouts, I do most exercises except squats focusing on each leg seperately to balance strength in addition to TRX for stabilty exercises.

2012-11-08 1:48 PM

Spokane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ydcy3dPf__M

This routine works really good

Edited by dkahns51 2012-11-08 1:49 PM
2012-11-12 8:14 AM

http://developflexibility.org.ua/pavel-tsatsouline-rapid-response Pavel explains spider squat for hip strengthening
2012-11-13 9:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I was out for 5 months earlier this year due to a hip injury.  Once I could finally workout more than my upper body, my chiropractor told me to work on my core and especially my glutes.  I know it sounds cheesy, but I have been doing the Beachbody "Brazil Butt Lift" dvds in addition to running and TRX.  The dvds aren't terribly difficult, but they focus on the 3 major glute muscles and I definitely can "feel the burn".  The TRX works out the core in a major way, along with all the other major muscle groups.  I am feeling stronger than ever and the hip has not been giving me any issues!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip strengthening Rss Feed