General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on peaking and staying peaked Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-07 7:00 PM

User image

Subject: Question on peaking and staying peaked
Okay, I am about 2 1/2 weeks out from the Galveston 1/2 ironman and I am peaking in perfect time.  My question is after that race, I have another race June 6th.  That is about 5 weeks after this race.  Do I continue to train hard or back off and try peaking 2 weeks out? I don't think I can maintain the hard training and keeping the peak.

2010-04-07 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2775450

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Question on peaking and staying peaked
why would you want to hit your peak two weeks out?
2010-04-07 7:19 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I'm not really sure I understand the question, and of course if 'peaking' means 'at your best' you want to peak the week OF the race, not 2 1/2 weeks prior, but my general reaction is that if you race the first HIM all out you would probably be ill advised to try to launch right back in to high volume training.  If it were me, I'd take two weeks to recover and slowly build back, two weeks of whatever training my body/mind could handle, and a week of taper prior to the second race.  This would depend, though, in part on the length of the second race.
2010-04-07 7:32 PM

Zimmerman, MN
IMHO,  sounds like you are peaking at the right time, as you said.   Obviously peak is not a one day event, but you have reached a peak in your fitness, and you can maintain that, but only for so long.  I am presuming that you will be taking a week of taper in prep for your race.   My question for you would be, which is your A race?  if the upcoming one is it, go all out,  take two weeks of recovery, then train at reasonable levels in prep for your next race.  If the following race is your A race, then you would probably hold back a bit in the upcoming race and then recover, 1 -2 weeks,  2 weeks of further peak training, and then 1 week of taper.   This type of training is entirely possible, and I would refer you to Joel Friels "Triathletes bible"  for further details.
2010-04-07 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2775527

User image

Champion
if you want to have the best possible race you can, and are training enough to require a taper, 2 to 2 1/2 weeks out you want to fee pretty tired. if you feel great and are ready to go, A- you are resting too much or too soon, and B you are prob rested enough to not need to taper really.
2010-04-09 6:43 AM

User image

Thanks for the advise.  I was planning a week out taper.  I feel 1/2 and 1/2 if that is such a thing.  My body is tired but some how I can do a training session anyway.  And I feel great afterwards, not where I am going to pass out.  This first race is going to be my A race, the next is just a Oly.

I think of it this way.  I am running today, OWS and bike brick Saturday, taking Sunday off, and starting my last week of training.  I only have one more good week of training and the Monday and Tuesday the week of the Tri I am just going for a slow jog, on Monday and on Tuesday a very light spin just to keep lubed up.  I am not swimming at all.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on peaking and staying peaked Rss Feed