General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weights vs. Yoga/Pilates Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-14 5:30 AM

New user

Subject: Weights vs. Yoga/Pilates
I log 10-12 hours a week of duathlon training (more as I gear up for an Ironman distance this summer), including a few spin classes that incorporate some upper-body strength work into them too.

Until now, I'd been doing 2x a week, one-hour strength workouts on top of that. But yoga (hot power yoga) and pilates are really "more my speed" -- I just enjoy them more, find them beneficial to injury prevention, and get relaxation benefits.

I'm wondering, as far as strengthening the body and prepping it for multi-sport training and performance, anyone has an opinion on weight training (I usually do lunges, squats, work my back/abs) vs. yoga and pilates (3-4 sessions a week).

Thanks for any input!

2010-04-14 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2790244

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-03 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2790244

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Subject: RE: Weights vs. Yoga/Pilates
My opinion is that yoga is not a substitute for weight training. Pilates can be a substitute for core training (which may or may not include weights), but isn't as targeted as some weight movements.

All three are compliments to multisport training and help promote injury prevention and overall performance.

If you prefer yoga/pilates, than do these workouts more often than weights. You could definitely get an effective full body weights routine in by investing only an hour - hour 1/2 per week on a quick comprehensive routine of super sets or circuits.

They are all helpful in their own way. I would keep up your lunges, squats and core focus with weights once a week and mix in 2-4 sessions of yoga/pilates.

I like TRX, it is somewhat of an infusion of all three.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weights vs. Yoga/Pilates Rss Feed