General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to everything Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-14 2:10 PM

User image

New user

Morganton/Lenoir, NC
Subject: New to everything
My name's Raine. I'm from western North Carolina, and I'll be 28 years old in a few weeks. I've never really been in shape (one of those kids who was always picked last in gym class, overweight, hated exercising, etc), but I decided to change that. I started walking and doing some jogging 2 years ago, and a car wreck and a couple surgeries later, am back to starting from scratch. I had my first child 2 1/2 weeks ago (unplanned c-section after 43 hours in labor), and have gotten the ok to walk as much as I can without hurting, and should be cleared to start doing more in another 3-4 weeks, so I figured now was as good a time as any to start training for a triathlon.

The race I'm hoping to do is a sprint, at the end of September. At this point, I can't really run, but can walk 3-4 miles pretty easily, haven't swam or ridden a bike since high school, but used to enjoy both. To change that, I am starting the Conservative C25k program today, looking to buy a bike to get started cycling again, and will be joining the local aquatic center (and probably taking some refresher swim lessons) in May or June. I'm doubting I'll place very well, but hoping almost 6 months will at least get me in shape enough to finish and feel good about it.

2010-04-14 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2791985

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: New to everything
Welcome Raine!  As a newbie you'll find a lot of good info here on the BT site and many people willing to help.  At first it might seem a little overwhelming but stick with it and before you know it you'll be in great shape and crossing that finish line.

I'm in Charlotte and the rest of NC is well represented as well.  Check out the NC board every so often to see what's going on locally.

Good luck
2010-04-14 4:03 PM

User image

Regular
Minneapolis,MN
Welcome to the site! As a fellow new triathlete (doing my first sprint in June) I think you'll find a lot of helpful information on this site. Everyone is friendly and willing to help any way they can

2010-04-14 9:25 PM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Welcome Raine sounds like you have a good plan for getting to your first sprint, good luck and I'm sure you will do great.  There will be alot of people there who just want to finish their first or second tri so you will be in good company.
2010-04-15 6:50 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-16 9:04 AM

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Welcome aboard!  Best of luck & have fun!  You'll find some great information and awesome people, so don't be shy.

2010-04-23 12:58 PM

I too am new to everything! I come from the same background as well, never really athletic, a little overweight (in grade school and high school), and up until last November, I hated the gym.  I am glad someone else is in the same boat as me.  Smile
2010-04-23 2:57 PM

2010-04-23 5:38 PM

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Welcome Raine! You have a good enough training time frame to successfully finish in Sept.! Smile
2010-04-27 4:40 PM

Good for you....I am also starting training. I am not planning on racing til  April 17th of this next year in the Buck Hurley Triathlon. I have been in and out of shape my whole life but it is time for a perminent change. What Part Of NC are you from I am in Salisbury and if you are close maybe we can motivate each other :-)  I have been hitting the gym for about 6 months and hope that I am able to do this. Send me an email and we could even exchange phone nubers if you would like. Good luck [email protected]
2010-04-27 5:14 PM

2011-08-02 1:28 PM

New user

Morganton/Lenoir, NC

Back again, and really starting this time, LOL.

Got hit hard with postpartum depression and just a lot of exhaustion and lack of time and motivation to do anything after my son was born. The husband refuses to "babysit" for me to work out, train, or do anything, so I got really sedentary, gained more weight, diagnosed with hypothyroid, felt like crap, then finally joined a gym and decided to do something about it.

It's super hot here now, so I'll be mostly doing gym workouts (they have a daycare, so I can bring the rugrat with me and still actually work out). I'm hoping my husband will be more inclined to watch out son for me on weekends or evenings so I can get in some real world training, once he sees I'm serious about this. If not, I'll be running or biking at night once everyone's in bed, which worked for me a couple years back.

I'll be doing the conservative C25k program, because the regular one was too much, too soon, for me the last time I tried it. On the off days, I'll be cycling and swimming. The pool at the gym is really small and sort of weird, but right now I'm just trying to get used to breathing and putting my head down in the water (I swim like a turtle with my head stuck up, and it kills my neck and slows me down). I'll probably end up joining our local rec/aquatic center in a few months as well, so I'll have access to a 25 yard pool and coaching.

My goal is to be ready for my first sprint triathlon by next spring, which will probably be the Valdese (NC) Triathlon, which is usually about mid-April.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to everything Rss Feed