General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OK....let's talk days "off" from training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-15 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: OK....let's talk days "off" from training
I'm not following anyone's plan.  Extremely new....and I'm looking at only sprint dist. events this year.  I may be wrong, but I'm thinking I can get myself in shape for them.  My training log (as far as I know) is public.

How often should a beginner be scheduling a day (days?) off?  Currently, I've got a long ways to go, before I'll be comfortable with my swimming.  I'm swimming 4X/wk.  I have AM's and PM's.....so that leaves me struggling to get in 3 rides and 3 runs.  Last week and this week, I've had to choose which one to only do 2X.  Last week, it was running.  THis week, it'll be the bike.

I can't help but think I NEED a day (2?) off.  I'm not sore.  I'm not overly tired.  I just hear stories of rest helping.  I've even seen 12-16wk programs that promote a WEEK "off" from time to time.

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

jeff

2010-04-15 9:27 PM
in reply to: #2795270

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-15 9:30 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: OK....let's talk days "off" from training
Eh I know people who train every day and they are fine. I personally take a day off each week. I just like the mental break. Not to mention, I don't like working out Friday night and having to get up early Saturday for my bike ride. Oh and I kind of try to avoid morning workouts at all cost.

Since you are doing sprints this year... don't burn yourself out with training. It's OK to take days off.

2010-04-15 9:38 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-15 9:49 PM

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I'd save a "week" off for the off-season.  If I am uber-fatigued, I might sometimes take a couple straight days off, especially if I'm trying to fight off a bug.  But a day off a week for a beginner with little background in any of the three sports is reasonable.  Two days, split apart, if necessary, depending on how you feel.  It took me a year or so to get to the point that I might go 2-3 weeks without an off day, but I still usually book a swim-only day each week as a quasi-off day if I'm going without off days. YMMV.

2010-04-15 9:51 PM

Master
nc452010 - 2010-04-15 9:24 PM

I can't help but think I NEED a day (2?) off.  I'm not sore.  I'm not overly tired.  I just hear stories of rest helping.  I've even seen 12-16wk programs that promote a WEEK "off" from time to time.

Your body knows what it needs.  It'll tell you when you need rest.  

I've never seen a plan that advocates a whole week of rest.  Maybe a lower volume recovery week, but not a week off.

2010-04-15 10:00 PM

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
A week off mid-season is actually really beneficial to refresh physically as well as mentally.  Its really good to prepare the body and mind for the harder (usually), more important races towards the end of the season.

It usually takes 2 - 3 weeks of doing nothing for you to actually lose fitness, so taking a week off while it might make you feel stiff coming back, its not that bad for you when you need it.
2010-04-15 10:38 PM
in reply to: #2795342

Champion
it may also be an off week, which is not the same as taking a week off, some plans refer to step back, or lower volume weeks as off weeks.
2010-04-15 10:44 PM

Master
Central Indiana
Everyone's situation is different. From body to mind to real-life situation.  And goals differ, too.  I'm no elite athlete, but only train for personal fitness (& to avoid DFL's in the events I enter )Over years of cycling & now tri I find most of my in-season non-training days have been dictated by work (14-24 hr shifts), minor injury, or the odd illness.  Maybe 1 day every month or two I just take a day off.  It's really not that big of a deal.  Training is all about physical stress (exercise) and recovery.  You may find that long-term 2X/day workouts with no rest days may increase your risk of injury or overtraining, or it might work fine for you.  Just listen to your body & don't feel guilty if you need a periodic rest day.
2010-04-15 10:56 PM

New user
I'm not as serious as most of the people who post on these forums--as a second-year recreational triathlete, I can tell you that trying to mimic the efforts of some of the hardcore people around here is a great way for a first-year triathlete to get hurt.  The great thing about your first year is that you don't have to work out as often to see significant improvements.  I've realized dramatic improvements by training consistently three, four, and five times a week.  Keeping my training moderate allows me to keep exercising consistently year-round.  When I was a rookie I was pretty successful for six weeks, then decided to go to a six-day workout week with one or two 'two-a-days' mixed in--I ended up sidelining myself for six weeks--twice--and it made me miserable. 

My advice is to err on the side of caution your first year and enjoy yourself while your body gradually adapts to the various rigors of the sport. 

Good luck, happy tri'ing,

-laugher
2010-04-15 11:06 PM
in reply to: #2795419

Champion
laughingman - 2010-04-15 9:56 PM

I'm not as serious as most of the people who post on these forums--as a second-year recreational triathlete, I can tell you that trying to mimic the efforts of some of the hardcore people around here is a great way for a first-year triathlete to get hurt. The great thing about your first year is that you don't have to work out as often to see significant improvements. I've realized dramatic improvements by training consistently three, four, and five times a week. Keeping my training moderate allows me to keep exercising consistently year-round. When I was a rookie I was pretty successful for six weeks, then decided to go to a six-day workout week with one or two 'two-a-days' mixed in--I ended up sidelining myself for six weeks--twice--and it made me miserable.

My advice is to err on the side of caution your first year and enjoy yourself while your body gradually adapts to the various rigors of the sport.

Good luck, happy tri'ing,

-laugher

this is great advice, and more so if you are working without a coach.

I know for me this is true. My weekly totals now are often higher than monthly totals when i started.

and i am taking FAR less rest days per month and feeling better, but i had to put in a lot of work to get here

2010-04-15 11:10 PM

SC
I generally try to take a day off (or an off day with very light run or bike) every 7-10 days. I just love the feeling after that day of rest. I always feel really rejeuvinated and can usually feel my fitness gains from the previous week's work.
2010-04-16 7:58 AM

Master
Gurnee, IL
  Generally I do not plan an off day, it usually happens on  the order of 1 day per week.   What I mean is while I plan workouts for EVERYDAY,  life/work/issues get in the way that causes an off day to happen.   With my luck if I planned one, the very next day a work emergency would force me to take another. 

A swim only day is sort of like a rest day to me.  I should say it is a rest for my lower body (not much of a kicker)

Even if life DOES get in the way, I still will try and do some core work at home or whatever.  An actual rest day where I literally do not do any training is rare.

2010-04-16 8:07 AM

Pro
Twin Cities
I'd say it's highly dependent on what works for you, and what your goals are. When I first started out, I only took a day off entirely about once every 3-4 weeks (during my recovery week). The rest of the time, I had easier days and harder days.

Later on, I arranged my schedule so I had my weekends workout free.

Now, I pretty much take a day off when I want or need it--which typically falls on the weekend, but I do move it around from time to time. Basically, I try and get in X number of workouts in a week, and they fall where they fall.
2010-04-16 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2795400

Master
Livonia, MI

newbz - 2010-04-15 11:38 PM it may also be an off week, which is not the same as taking a week off, some plans refer to step back, or lower volume weeks as off weeks.

A whole WEEK OFF??...gasp!!  I like newbz idea better Smile

As for days off, I usually leave myself one but don't always take it.  I prefer to play it by ear and listen to my body over following a strict schedule.

2010-04-16 8:38 AM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I think this is a highly individual thing, and also varies with an individual over time. When I started out, I definitely needed days off for recovery. Not so much anymore.... My "recovery" days now are usually active recovery - a shorter, lower intensity run, bike, or swim workout. Some weeks I take a complete day off, others not. Usually a complete day off comes when life gets in the way and I just can't get a workout in. It sounds like you're feeling fine with your current training load, so chances are you don't NEED a day off every week. If you find yourself feeling overly tired or fatigued, then maybe it's time to take a day off. If you're feeling okay though, I don't think there's any harm in NOT taking a day off.

2010-04-16 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2795914

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Everyone has a different opinion.  My coach, for instance, feels a rest/recovery day is important each week.  I would say that if you're not sure how to plan your training that you do considering using a training plan.  Even as a guide, and you can move things around as needed.   I tend to have my rest days on Mondays, which is nice when I can then plan for it.  I schedule happy hours, haircuts, etc. on Mondays.

I've never used a plan that advocated a week off during a training cycle, but I definitely have low volume/easy weeks.  I'm on one now and I take the opportunity to connect with friends, do projects at home, etc. 

2010-04-16 10:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
Philly Outsider
I was just about to start a thread on this very subject!

Great advice all around so far. Interesting to see the varied opinions on the subject.

My question was going to be:  I'm following a program and working out 6 days a week, with a specific rest day built in.  But, I play on a volleyball league, and that's my "rest day."  So the question is, does this even count as a rest day? 

I think of my rest day as more of a cardio recovery, than specifically a day of rest. And vball isn't a big cardio workout. But it is kinda hard on my back and knees, so I'm not totally allowing for a real recovery either.

But considering all the "listen to your body" advice, I actually feel fine. 
In fact, after starting up all the other excercises, my back and knees feel better (after vball, and in general), not worse. 
And I'm not overly tired for working out so often. But I wonder if my body needs a real rest day or else my other workouts will slowly suffer and I might not notice?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OK....let's talk days "off" from training Rss Feed