General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon Training Question - Overtraining?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-16 5:37 AM

Veteran
Subject: Half Marathon Training Question - Overtraining??
So, I am training for my first half marathon, which is on the 25th....this is my 13th week of a 15 week training program. This week started on a high note but has progressed..well actually digressed. I did a 10 mile run on Sunday, and then did my scheduled 3 miler two days later. However when it came to doing 5 miles on Wednesday and 5 miles today...I could only run 4 on Wednesday and then basically walked 3 miles today. It just felt like I couldnt fire the right synapses to get my runs going. I feel tired and worn out!! Is this normal???? Am I doing too much and thats why I feel worn out??

I have one more 10 miler this weekend then I taper next week for the race...I am a bit worried that this lull is coming so close to my race. Other than getting plenty of rest this weekend, anything else I should be doing?

2010-04-16 6:03 AM
in reply to: #2795562

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Half Marathon Training Question - Overtraining??
Without being able to look at your logs, I'm sorta spitballing, so bear with me...

Firstly, I doubt it's actual overtraining. Chances are you are just worn out from the current training, especially if you are pushing your current limits a bit. I have no idea how much volume you are now doing, and where you started.

Truth is, you want to be tired at this point. If you were feeling fresh right now, the concern would be that you haven't been training enough. Soon, you hit your taper, which should allow you to get some additional rest and get to the race ready to go.

That being said, why are you cutting workouts short? Do they hurt? Are you mentally just quitting? Figure out what it is, maybe take a day off, then come back to training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon Training Question - Overtraining?? Rss Feed