General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Depression vs. Motivation and Focus (Psycological Issues) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-22 8:27 AM

Subject: Depression vs. Motivation and Focus (Psycological Issues)

Hi all!
I've been a member for a few months and been training on and of. By that I mean I've had some psycological barriers and something I've been struggling with my whole life with which is consistency. I really want to become consistent with my training and become a good triathlete. Sometimes I find myself making all sorts of excuses not to train, because of apparent injuries or things i need to do besides training, and then end up not training for weeks or even a month or two! It is really frustrating because it happens when I'm just about ready for anything and really fit. I then pick up weight and take this terrible depressing lifestyle for a while. My dieet goes bad and I end up eating all the wrong stuff. I look for things to get me back again, I go running, afterwards feel real good but just go back into that slump the next day or so. I know what I want, I'm very competitive and I train hard when I'm fine. I hate this bad habit cause it makes me feel terrible, I swear at myself every time I get back into it again cause it means I throw away all that hard work. Being fit and healthy is my passion, even though so it may not seem when you hear this story, but if there is anyone that understands this or has overcome this, please tell me what I can do, cause it's getting me down seriously and it keeps getting worse!

Regards,

Jean Coetzee  

2010-04-22 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2809462

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Depression vs. Motivation and Focus (Psycological Issues)
I think this is a battle and a cycle that many people go through.  I know I did for years.  I would be really good for days/weeks/months but then fall off the wagon for some reason and back to the bad habits and feel really down about myself.  Finally about 2 years ago something clicked and I started working out and feeding off the endorphin fix and needing the next one soon.  I was going through some really difficult personal stuff and my workouts became the place I could get away from it all and it just settled in.  Somewhere in there workouts because a respite and a fun thing rather than a means to an end.  I don't work out because of how I'll look one day when I do it for X amount of time I work out because of how I feel when I do it.  If I look healthier because of that even better. 

My diet is still my battle ground.  It'll be great for awhile then go to hell in a handbasket suddenly because something sets it off.  Often for me that's winter because I spend a LOT of time in the car sitting in nasty traffic to and from skiing.  I'm tired and hungry by the end of the day and I just want to get home so I stop somewhere for food and there isn't much you can stop for that isn't going to wreck my nutrition for the day. 

Last summer I had to take a month off due to a surgery I had.  I was scared to death that it would be my downfall and I'd be back in the same boat as before.  But, I got it together got a bit of running in and then got the nerve to join a local running group.  That group environment was really motivating for me and I got back into my program and haven't missed more than a run or 2 on the schedule since. 

What am I trying to say with all of this?  Take things one at a time.  Not everything needs to be perfect all the time.  So you ate bad.  Go out for a run or a ride to balance things and move on.  So you missed your run today, there's always tomorrow.  Sometimes when I have a rough day and don't feel like running I'll tell myself, go out run 1.5-2 miles and if you still feel like crap you can stop.  I've never stopped.  I loosen up, get into the groove and just keep going. 

Good luck! 
2010-04-22 11:21 PM

New user

like coskigirl said, try to go out and have some fun when you run, it's your time and your time only. I used to hate running/exercising because i always dreaded the next session. Now i cant wait to get out of work so i can jam out during my running session, by far the best part of my day.

Don't forget to treat yourself to the foods you enjoy on the weekends/whenever/ect. If you have a solid week of training go out and celebrate with a pizza and some soda and savor every bite of that pizza knowing that you earned it, it always tastes better that way. One of my goals when i started training this year was to make my food taste better. The harder and more i trained the better my food tasted. What im saying here is that when your food tastes really really freaking good your definitely doing something right.
2010-04-26 9:21 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply peeps, it's inspiring to hear these things from someone else other than myself :-p. I'm about to get on the bike again, I just hope it's not raining by the time I get out this morning. Another thing that blocks the motivation is the weather, it's getting winter here and is starting to get real cold. Should go out to get some winter training gear after my ride this morning.

"In life, don't expect to get what you want or think you deserve, if you aren't doing what you should and are doing what you shouldn't..." - Me :-)

Once again thanks a lot,

God bless you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Depression vs. Motivation and Focus (Psycological Issues) Rss Feed