General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Accidental etiquette breach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-22 9:04 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Accidental etiquette breach

Was this a breach of etiquette by me?

I was riding around in NYC central park this morning, which for those who don't know is a 6 mile loop that has loads of cycling individuals and groups.   I was on my last lap and was working pretty hard.  Some guys decided to follow me in a paceline, which I'm cool with, though I didn't know how many were there.  When I was a couple miles from my exit, one of the guys pulls up next to me and offers to lead.  I said sure and I settled in behind him.  Then I realized that there were a few other people behind as well and I may have cut one of them off.  I don't know if they were all together or just random people.

Should I have made sure I dropped back behind everyone who was in the line?  I am pretty new to cycling and I am not used to riding in groups (planned or imromptu), let alone being fast enough for people to want to draft off me.

Anyone else have stories of accidently having bad etiquette?

2010-04-22 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2809606

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Accidental etiquette breach
trunner400 - 2010-04-22 9:04 AM

Was this a breach of etiquette by me?

I was riding around in NYC central park this morning, which for those who don't know is a 6 mile loop that has loads of cycling individuals and groups.   I was on my last lap and was working pretty hard.  Some guys decided to follow me in a paceline, which I'm cool with, though I didn't know how many were there.  When I was a couple miles from my exit, one of the guys pulls up next to me and offers to lead.  I said sure and I settled in behind him.  Then I realized that there were a few other people behind as well and I may have cut one of them off.  I don't know if they were all together or just random people.

Should I have made sure I dropped back behind everyone who was in the line?  I am pretty new to cycling and I am not used to riding in groups (planned or imromptu), let alone being fast enough for people to want to draft off me.

Anyone else have stories of accidently having bad etiquette?

Don't sweat it. Should you have checked to see what was behind you? Probably, but it is also the paceline's job to adjust to the changes going on in front of them, so I wouldn't think twice about it.
2010-04-22 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Don't worry about it - you didn't commit any cycling sin. Sure you could have dropped to the back, or you could just swap leads. Both are fine.

And I'm jealous of your NYC Central Park ride. A couple years ago I ran that loop when I was visiting in October and it was very pretty. I bet late April it's very nice.

My worst accidental breach was in an Olympic tri, my first "real" race. I was on the bike hammering along and caught up with some woman I'd been trailing for a few miles, and passed in front of her. Just then I looked at my heart rate monitor and I was way too high, like 175 when it should have been 150. So I immediately slowed down from like 22 to 18.

From her perspective, what I had just done was cut in front of her and then slow down - and that's true, but not intentionally. Man she was pissed and called me a jerk and few other unprintables. I apoligized but really, the damage was done.

I've never made that mistake again.
2010-04-22 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
I'd think if anything, the guys that came up behind you and formed the paceline were breaking the etiquette to start with.  You don't just go up behind someone and draft them, it's dangerous for you and the guy you're drafting.  Unless of course you ask or the guy you're about to draft (you in this case) acknowledges you and gives the ok.

As for after the paceline is formed and you've basically said ok to it, when you drop back I think it's fine that you pulled in behind him, it goes on sometimes.  The guy behind you obviously wasn't inches behind from the guy that came up beside you, otherwise there's no way you'd have missed him.  I'd suspect the 3rd guy in line was either still on your wheel or had dropped back to let the conversation about who will lead go on and figured one of the two of you would fill that gap after it was decided.
2010-04-22 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Most bike racers I know will let you know right away if you've broken any sort of etiquette.

I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's a real tight group and everyone is crisply taking 30 second pulls and then immediately rotating to the back, you would be in a little trouble if you suddenly cut in front of someone. This doesn't sound like the type of group you were in.

I agree with the Central Park 6 mile envy.  I was there on one of the Department Store bikes.  It was pretty painful to watch the guys on nice bikes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Accidental etiquette breach Rss Feed