General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First day of bike training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-04-25 7:13 AM

Subject: First day of bike training
I finally told family and a few friends this weekend that I was training for a sprint Tri. at the end of July. My wife was very supportive, but just about everyone else I told thought I was kidding, so good motivation for me to follow through. I did 40 mins. of walking/running yesterday and felt surprisngly good. Got on the bike this morning and put in about 20 min before the chain broke Surprised. It's has been a long time since I exercised (job, two kids under three, and all the usual complaints) and I am clearly out of shape. The first 10 mins. of the bike ride I thouhgt "what am I doing?" Is that normal? Does it get esaier? Thanks. 

2010-04-25 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2814720

The Neutral Zone
Subject: RE: First day of bike training
jbmoore - 2010-04-25 8:13 AM...

It's has been a long time since I exercised (job, two kids under three, and all the usual complaints) and I am clearly out of shape. The first 10 mins. of the bike ride I thouhgt "what am I doing?" Is that normal? Does it get esaier? Thanks. 

Of course it gets easier. You have over come the hardest part, you actually went out there and did it...(not sure if you biked outside or not.)....

Now just think,the next time you go out on your bike it will be easier, and you may even be able to bike for 15 minutes...

Keep up the good work and with time, it will definately pay off Laughing
2010-04-25 9:28 AM

Apprecaite it.
2010-04-25 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Good work getting out there!  Since the chain broke, I'm assuming this is an old "previously enjoyed" bike.  Take it somewhere and have a tune-up and a fitting done.  It will make a huge difference in your comfort and happiness on the bike.  I started riding on my husband's old steel mtn bike that only had 5 gears left on the ancient deraileur.  When the thing finally gave up, I bought a new bike and suddenly, riding was fun.  The new bike fit me and had lots of gears.  Whoot!  It will get easier, I promise. 
2010-04-25 10:26 AM

Good advice rowdypaint. Taking it by the bike shop later today.
2010-04-25 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2814879

Expert
Golden, CO

jbmoore - 2010-04-25 9:26 AM Good advice rowdypaint. Taking it by the bike shop later today.

Also - if you don't already know..make sure you learn how to fix the chain yourself.  Once you start enjoying to ride you will inevitably be somewhere by yourself when the chain breaks..or a tire flats..or....

2010-04-25 12:34 PM

Without a proper warm up it does take my legs a good 5 mins before they are spinning freely and effortlessly on the bike. I use the term effortlessly very loosely.

After the first few minutes my legs warm up and the stifness and soreness goes away. My legs sometimes literally hurt the first mile or two.

What I did in the past was start and go about 5 miles (was convenient for me as thats where I have a stop sign) I would get off and do some stretching then, check a few things over on the bike and away I go.

Now that I have been running and not biking as much, the few times on the bike Im much stronger in several levels. Last year was solely biking. 
2010-04-26 11:08 AM

I know how you feel.  I've been out on my bike 3 times the farthest being last saturday and went about 22 miles.  I havent started running or jogging yet, Im still working on getting the weight down first.  I do walk 4-5 miles at a time and run on our olypitcal machine for an hour at a time.  Im more worried about hurting myself and being laid up for a week or more.  Once I get some more weight off I will start the jogging.

But others are right, just keep going and getting out there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First day of bike training Rss Feed