General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to the sport in Stormville NY Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-28 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Stormville, NY
Subject: New to the sport in Stormville NY
Hi, I'm Mike and I joined this site a couple of days ago. As a 40 year old new Dad I decided it was time to get in better shape so I can be around for at least another 40 years to watch my son grow up. My wife's uncle has competed in the Iron Man twice now and he is 65. I was inspired by him and decided to look into this sport myself. My goal is to compete in my first tri in one year. Its been a long time since I've attempted anything this physical so I figure I better take my time getting back into an excercise routine. One question I have is how am I going to fit in training when I work and commute 12-13 hours a day? Any feed back woould be greatly appreciated.

2005-06-28 8:43 PM
in reply to: #185313

User image

Regular
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: New to the sport in Stormville NY
Well,
Right off the bat i would say the commute to work is a great way to help your cycling, unless of course it is too far(dont wuss out though), and you can run during lunch breaks and or days off as well as swimming days off or free nights. I am not gonna lie it is a commitment but go easy and try to do some workouts when it works out for you and if you gets more serious you will find other times. Good rule of thumb is is there is less than an hour of time free try running, more than an hour cycling or swimming(cycling because i dont consider riding if i have less than an hour to ride and swimming because you gotta go somewhere to do it, which takes time), Good luck, and while i dont know your athletic backround, start easy and gradually increase time\intensity.
-Dan
2005-06-29 9:41 AM
in reply to: #185918

User image

Veteran
Stormville, NY
Thanks for the helpful hints about time and training. Unfortunately I have a 90 mile commute to work in NYC. If the drivers don't kill me the car fumes would. I used to be more active with hockey, gym workouts and just doing something active(bacsketball, tennis, hiking etc) on the weekends. I haven't done much of that in the last two years so I will take it easy getting back into an active lifestyle. I hope to compete in a 5k in September or October. Then add the bike and swimming to the mix. One question I have is when do you add weight lifting? Thanks for your help.

2005-06-29 10:25 AM
in reply to: #185313

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

If you've got a 90 mile commute there's probably somewhere along there that you could stop off and have a 30 minute run.  Best advice?  Just be ready to go. 

For example, change into your running clothes before you leave work, have water, a snack, and a towel in the car for afterwards.  Stop somewhere and destress from your day by running for 30 minutes.  It doesn't take that much time and you'll feel better. (Or walking if you're not up to running yet.)

Mostly working it in around a schedule is figuring out where you can fit it in.  Start off with small chunks of time, and work from there.  The more you do it, the more you'll want to.

2005-06-29 12:15 PM
in reply to: #186222

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Here's a good luck right back at you.

"One question I have is when do you add weight lifting?"

(disclaimer - novice advice) I planned to incorporate weight lifting from the very beginning of my training. I've read that I should lift 2 to 3 times a week. I plan to do it 2 times a week. I figure that it can only help make me stronger when I'm doing the other things. Any one else have any opinions on this, I'm curious, too, if my thoughts are on track or not.

In addition to his question, does anyone have any suggestions as to which exercise I should lift with. In my training schedule, I only have one day off, so I will be combining either my running, swimming, and biking with at least one weight lifting session a week. I've heard that you should do the aerobic exercise after you lift weights. Is this correct?
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to the sport in Stormville NY Rss Feed