General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I ready for a HIM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-06-29 1:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: Am I ready for a HIM?
I've been training 6 days/week since March, but the first three months were for my first tri, a sprint back in May. I upped my training after that for my first Oly, which was earlier this month. I have another sprint and Oly coming up in mid-July, and would LOVE to go for a HIM on Sept. 17th, but want to make sure I'm going to finish.
My swims are 2,000 yards twice a week.
My bikes are 25 miles twice a week.
My runs are 8 miles twice a week.
I typically brick at least 5 days leading up to a race doing shorter distances than these for the bricks.
Obviously, I'll need to roughly double my training and I have ten weeks to prepare if I'm going to go for this.
I don't use a HRM, and haven't delved into "nutrition" at all. My Oly was completed in a paltry 3 hours drinking water, diluted Gatorade, and one ClifShot, and one Clif Bar and I felt great crossing the finish line.
I believe I can do the HIM, but wanted to hear what some of you might think. I'm the stubborn type that does what people don't think I'm capable of doing!

2005-06-29 5:55 AM
in reply to: #186055

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Am I ready for a HIM?
Could you finish a HIM? Yeah, maybe. Might be ugly and I wouldn't worry about your finishing time.
IMHO, you need to build more base mileage, which takes time. Building mileage too quickly increases the chance of injury significantly. It concerns me that you want to double your training volume in only ten weeks. The 10% increase/week rule is a good guideline.
Your current weekly totals are close to what I currently do training for sprint races.
You have accomplished a lot in a short period of time and would hate to see you get injured and/or discouraged by trying to do too much too soon.
Mark
2005-06-29 6:09 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I am a runner by trade and a Triathlete by... well because I want to preserve my knees and have more fun. I can tell you that you need to up your running mileage before you do a HIM. I would not attempt a 13.1 mile run on a long distance of only 8 miles. Get your mileage up to 10 or 12 miles per long run (should only take you a few weeks) and then think about it.

I can guess that you need to up your bike mileage too but I am not an expert in that area so I am going to not say nuthin

Edited by nliedel 2005-06-29 6:10 AM
2005-06-29 6:14 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
I think you can do it without to much problem but it would probably be more pleasant if you waited tiill next year. You are already fine for the swim and run but need to push the long bike ride up a good bit. Let us know what you decide!!!!

Ken
2005-06-29 8:08 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I just did my first HIM in  May

Here's my training leading up to it.
I did a marathon (also my first) in Feb. I started the Hal Higdon beginner training program in October. I also swam around 4-6k yards per week and rode the bike a little. I discovered in my marathon that I did not have enough base. The Higdon program got me through the race, but it hurt like a ragingmofo.(4:37 time aaaaaaaarrrrrrrhhhhggggrgggr! my goal had been 3:45)

Between March and May I tried to get in more bike miles, and some long bricks (40/8) I worked on my swimming a lot too (up to 9k on some weeks). You can look at my logs to see what I did. I finished the HIM in 6:04. Again, it hurt really bad (worse than the marathon)

Lessons learned.
1) there's a big difference in finishing a race and finishing a race feeling good
2) bike fitness will directly contribute to your run performance.I don't think I had enough bike miles. Therefore, the bike took too much out of me and I had a very painful run.

I plan to try the same HIM next year, but with a whole lot more bike miles under my belt.

My advise to you is to add a longer run to your schedule and to add a long ride as well. So do your 2x25 mile bikes and add a 50-60 miler. Maybe cut your 2x8 mile runs back to 2x5 and add a 12-15 mile run. Volume is your friend.

It will still hurt (probably a lot), but you can make it.

good luck

2005-06-29 8:20 AM
in reply to: #186076

Manatee Express - 2005-06-29 6:14 AM

I think you can do it without to much problem but it would probably be more pleasant if you waited tiill next year. You are already fine for the swim and run but need to push the long bike ride up a good bit. Let us know what you decide!!!!

Ken

Excellent advice! (of course I think its excellent, I was about to post the same thing)

2005-06-29 8:22 AM

User image

Ann Arbor, MI
I think that if you could finish a half with not too many problems - you should check out gale bernhart's book training plans for multi-sport athletes - she has a 13 half ironman training program. You would start on week three, but I think you would be okay. I'm currently using the plan to see if I could do a half and it is going really well so far. I'll probably make my decision at around week 8 or so. I'm not planning on being speedy, I would just like to finish with a respectable time. I can send you my modification of her plan if you would like.
2005-06-29 12:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Hi Pokey,
I'd love that. Thanks! My email is: [email protected]
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm a strong swimmer (not fast, but strong) from surfing every day for 26 years, so I have no fears at all about the swim. the run...I finish 8 miles and feel fine like I could go another 5, but the bike is my biggest demon. It's hard for me to find time to ride more than 1-2 hours in a day, and I JUST got my first road bike last weekend after riding my mtn bike for the past several months in training, so more than doubling my long ride distance will be the biggest hurdle. I think I can do it in 10 weeks time though. I don't want to wait to register for fear of the race selling out. We'll see!
2005-06-29 12:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Hi Pokey,
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm a strong swimmer (not fast, but strong) from surfing every day for 26 years, so I have no fears at all about the swim. the run...I finish 8 miles and feel fine like I could go another 5, but the bike is my biggest demon. It's hard for me to find time to ride more than 1-2 hours in a day, and I JUST got my first road bike last weekend after riding my mtn bike for the past several months in training, so more than doubling my long ride distance will be the biggest hurdle. I think I can do it in 10 weeks time though. I don't want to wait to register for fear of the race selling out. We'll see!
2005-06-29 12:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Hi Pokey,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I ready for a HIM? Rss Feed