General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Generation Lost to Obesity (Rant) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-13 11:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: Generation Lost to Obesity (Rant)
A couple of things happened today that really made me frustrated and inspired this rant. I was fat. Really fat, 325lbs to be exact and I probably still have 30lbs to go. It has been HARD work. Working out 2x's a day most days and making DRAMATIC dietary changes. In my case becoming a vegetarian and closing my mouth around junk food (most of the time I'm successful).

I'm not special. I know most people, specifically in this forum, are in the same situation I'm in WORKING HARD to lose weight and have reached your goal or working towards it. Now the reason for my rant.

I went to the YMCA today and had to run on the indoor track. As I'm running the 5 miles, mind you very slowly, several people pop on the the track for various reasons. Some "power" walking and some "running." Several people blow bast me and I think, "Wow I'm slow." That guy has 40lbs on me and he's blazing. He passes me again and I realize he as reached at least 90% of MHR is red faced and about ready to drop ove. After two laps on the 1/18th of a mile track he bows out. Several "power walker" jump onto the track and there out after 2-3 laps.

I leave and flip on the radio. A doctor answering questions about weight loss tells people all the have to do is to start walking more, cut out a bagle a day, and cut out soda and all there weight issuse will go away. I should have done that. It sure would have been easier than the approach I took.

I have come to the conclusion that no one is being honset with the problem of obesity in our society. I am afraid that we are going to lose an entire generation because of political correctness. Doctors will not tell the truth and say you have to make DRAMATIC life style changes to overcome obesity. I would have loved to here my doctor say "Your fat and if you change your way you eat and start to exercise you are going to die. And if you die, it will be your fault because were nt willing to work hard enough to make the lifestyle changes you needed to make in order to live!"

Health care professional need to start being honest. I feel better now. Thanks for listening. Laughing

Phil

2010-05-14 2:06 AM
in reply to: #2858072

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Subject: RE: Generation Lost to Obesity (Rant)
I totally agree with you.

Today on our way home from my girls' swim lessons, my husband and I were discussing how childhood obesity is on the rise.  Even there at the pool there was a noticeable percentage of 5-7 yr olds that are obese.  We were watching people walk by and noticing how many were fat.  The ratio that we counted was 3 to 1.  Specifically there was a group of teens standing in front of Denny's and a good majority of them were obese.

When, I was younger I just don't remember that many fat people.  Was I just young and naive?  Or have times changed?
2010-05-14 4:21 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
It depends how quickly one wants to lose weight and how much they are overeating in the first place. In general I agree with you most people have to make quite big changes. It drives me crazy when people say" I eat right and exercise and I just can't lose" and then you find out what they are actually DOING and it's no wonder the weight doesn't just fall off.

However, little changes do add up eventually, and while I like you have lost over 100 (120 or so) by changing my life... I do know others who have gone about losing it over a number of years by a more gentle approach. Not every method works for every person.

Plus those people on the track? Maybe they just started their program. (Probably not... but you never know)

But I agree for most putting down one bagel and taking a 15 minute walk isn't going to cut it. It's amazing how little people are educated about nutrition etc. It's a pretty complex issue though. While it IS as easy as eat less and move more. Sometimes it's just not that "simple". It's taken me my whole adult life to get to this place where I've finally worked this out, and it wasn't about lack of knowledge.

2010-05-14 5:21 PM

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
For many that just sit in front of the TV and eat all day, then cutting out a bagel and starting to walk will make a difference. For many, if they knew how hard it would be to drop all the bad weight and get in shape, they would never get off the couch. But they can skip a bagel and go for a walk a couple of days a week. Then once they start, they see how they feel better and are losing weight and get excited. Then they're willing to take the next step. Hopefully they will continue taking the next step and progressing toward the goal of being in shape. That one bagel and a walk won't take care of everything, but its a start that almost anyone can handle.

Edited by pdbman 2010-05-14 5:22 PM
2010-05-14 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
I think we can all agree that we were in denial at some point regarding our weight otherwise we would have never let it get as bad as it did for anyone of us. I only just took a good look at myself, took pictures and everything just four weeks ago and I play hockey, am former military, yo-yo'ed my entire life, play sports, etc. Even though I know how to eat right and work out, I have never been dedicated to making it stick. Other than the military, not once in all my years has my doctor said, you're obese you need to change your life. I actually decided after my 4-years in the Army was up, I was tired of the military telling me I was no good because I was overweight even though I could hang with most women regarding fitness. Ten years later, I'm making the change and my approach is so completely different than anything I have done before. I'm not looking short term, but long term to reach my goal. No doctor, television or radio show, or anyone I know prompted me to change, my internal motivation changed, therefore my life is changing. I have always wanted to do a triathlon and with no more excuses, I am working towards it and along the way, I'm pursuing weight loss.

No one wants to hear from someone else that they're fat. My story is not your story, or anyone else's. How someone changes will be up to them and I'm not really even sure that removing the PC-ness of society will help the problem. Some will listen to their doctors, or be inspired by the Biggest Loser, or just change doctors and the channel and eventually die. It's a sad reality. Frown
2010-05-15 5:06 PM

Two things come to mind on this:

1. Parents are flat-out killing their children.  It's one thing to get fat when you're an adult and have other responsibilities, but when children under the age of 15 are fat it's the fault of the parents, plain and simple.  At some point, someone needs to be held accountable.

2. People don't want to put 2 and 2 together, but the overall increase in obesity is what is raising the rates of health insurance in this country.  The increase in obesity is causing a higher incidence of cancer, heart disease, stroke, and Type 2 diabetes, leading to more and more expensive treatments and claims.

Amazingly, the answer to both of the problems is better eating and exercise.  Sure it takes some work, but JUST DO IT and quit complaining about it.

I'm so sick of people complaining, and not trying to do anything about it.  We've become a nation of whiners, where it is always someone's fault - rather than our own.  Just suck it up and do something about it, instead of letting it fester and get worse. 

2010-05-16 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2860846

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
stuy119 - 2010-05-15 5:06 PM Two things come to mind on this:

1. Parents are flat-out killing their children.  It's one thing to get fat when you're an adult and have other responsibilities, but when children under the age of 15 are fat it's the fault of the parents, plain and simple.  At some point, someone needs to be held accountable.

I teach 3rd grade in an at-risk school. Most of my students have less than ideal home situations (parents in jail, homeless, past neglect/abuse). Many of these kids eat the majority of their meals at school. We send home "weekend bags" with the kids we know might not eat enough over the weekend. Here's what gets me angry: the school breakfasts & lunches are just not that healthy. They are processed and high cal and not very filling IMO. So the kids eat bad at school and then eat bad at home because processed foods and fast foods are the foods of choice for people in poverty.

Now, let's look at upper & middle class. Since I've had kids, I've really had to make an EFFORT to make sure my kids eat well. There is just an overabundance of processed food and junk out there. Many families I know eat out several nights a week or rely on processed food (chicken nuggets, corn dogs, etc). It has become easier and cheaper to eat out. In the past, eating out was a special occasion. Now it's the norm and we all know that portion sizes are out of control.

So, IMO if we are to stop childhood obesity, we NEED to focus on the school breakfast & lunch programs as well as the food market that creates all these processed meals & snacks.   
2010-05-28 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2861444

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
jpbis26 - 2010-05-16 9:13 AM
IMO if we are to stop childhood obesity, we NEED to focus on the school breakfast & lunch programs as well as the food market that creates all these processed meals & snacks.   

You hit it right on the head....the school lunches are horrible. The other day my kids had a choice of either chicken nuggets and fries or a burger and fries!!!???? I mean come on....so 99% of the time they get to bring a lunch to school or they get to choose a school lunch on those days that it is at least partly healthy so it's not a cold lunch all of the time.

Fix the school lunch system and teach nutrition to the adults.....
2010-06-01 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2889743

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
Max_O - 2010-05-28 9:01 PM
jpbis26 - 2010-05-16 9:13 AM IMO if we are to stop childhood obesity, we NEED to focus on the school breakfast & lunch programs as well as the food market that creates all these processed meals & snacks.   
You hit it right on the head....the school lunches are horrible. The other day my kids had a choice of either chicken nuggets and fries or a burger and fries!!!???? I mean come on....so 99% of the time they get to bring a lunch to school or they get to choose a school lunch on those days that it is at least partly healthy so it's not a cold lunch all of the time. Fix the school lunch system and teach nutrition to the adults.....

Teach nutrition to the kids so they will have healthy eating habits when they get older. As the saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Once you are an adult, no one can make you eat right except for you. It also doesn't help when they keep changing what is considered healthy. 
2010-06-01 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
No one can force people to eat healthy or workout. Not even parents to children. You may succeed for a while, but if you force it you eventually end with a backlash.

I think change will happen. I have seen it around me, and I don't just mean this forum. When people see a leaner, fitter, happier you they do think of changing themselves, and some start and some do. It will spread like a very slow plague.
2010-06-02 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2894286

You are right nobody can force anyone to work out, parents to children included.

But at no time when I was younger did I have to be forced to be outside, running, jumping playing etc. I was encouraged to do as best as I can in sports, even though my parents were busy they rarely missed any sporting event I or my brother was on.

My brother a full time servicemen as is his wife instill competitiveness and health in their young children. At age of 7 they complete 5k's, at the age of 5 they do childrens runs of 1 mile. They are active in full contact football, then basketball, soccer, karate etc....my brother limits their TV time, their video games etc. Its a privelege and a treat to relax in front of the TV when there is yard work to do.

When I was visiting them in Texas this past fall, my 7 year old nephew asked me if the dinner he was eating was "healthy enough" I was like is this kid serious? They said the school they are in, very much teaches kids healthy choices at an early age. Like from the day they walk in, so maybe at least this school gets something that others above have mentioned.

Parents are ultimately responsible for their childrens health. However working in a prison I can say rarely are many of these "adults" proved to have taken responsibility for anything.

Sad but the kids when I was a kid we considered "fat" would be probably considered normal 30 years later.

2010-06-07 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
StlPhil - 2010-05-14 12:01 AM

Doctors will not tell the truth and say you have to make DRAMATIC life style changes to overcome obesity. I would have loved to here my doctor say "Your fat and if you change your way you eat and start to exercise you are going to die. And if you die, it will be your fault because were nt willing to work hard enough to make the lifestyle changes you needed to make in order to live!"

Health care professional need to start being honest. I feel better now. Thanks for listening. Laughing

Phil

Sadly the doctors in America are not required to learn the science of nutrition and how food affects our body. They know excess calories make us fat, but that is just about it. My father's neurologist's assistant didn't know what Selenium was!!!! Couldn't even pronounce it!!! I don't believe we can or should rely on our health care system to do anything but treat the symptoms of illness brought on by our own bad decisions and unforturnate circumstances.
2010-06-07 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2894170

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

pdbman - 2010-06-01 12:01 PM
Max_O - 2010-05-28 9:01 PM
jpbis26 - 2010-05-16 9:13 AM IMO if we are to stop childhood obesity, we NEED to focus on the school breakfast & lunch programs as well as the food market that creates all these processed meals & snacks.   
You hit it right on the head....the school lunches are horrible. The other day my kids had a choice of either chicken nuggets and fries or a burger and fries!!!???? I mean come on....so 99% of the time they get to bring a lunch to school or they get to choose a school lunch on those days that it is at least partly healthy so it's not a cold lunch all of the time. Fix the school lunch system and teach nutrition to the adults.....

Teach nutrition to the kids so they will have healthy eating habits when they get older. As the saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Once you are an adult, no one can make you eat right except for you. It also doesn't help when they keep changing what is considered healthy. 

The problem is that no one can agree on what proper nutrition is...  the government is beholden to multiple special agricultural interest and lots of the other info you come across comes from people who have discovered "the secret" to health which is generally a crock...

But yeah, school nutrition is horrible - but I bet it mirrors nutrition at home more closely than anyone wants to admit...

2010-06-09 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
VegaSinclair - 2010-06-09 10:38 AM I talked about this before to my wife and friends. When I was young, we would come home and head outside to play until dinner. We'd eat dinner and head back outside until the sun went down. Today, a kid comes home and plays video games, surfs the Internet or channel surfs the hundreds of channels available on cable and satellite TV. There seems to be more junk food available and there seems to be more fast food restaurants than there were when I was a kid. And with schools cutting recess and gym classes down, there's definitely a lot of people and things we as parents can blame. But in the end, it's still our job as parents to set a good example and show our kids what is healthy to eat and to encourage them to get outside and play. We've got a bigger fight on our hands than our parents did, but we have to fight hard for our health, our childrens' health and our nation's health.

Amen! My weight gain was adult onset. When I was a kid, during the summer and weekends, I would wake up, grab a ball glove or some other sporting paraphenalia, jump on my bike and literally be gown playing until dark. I would maybe grab some food when I left and some food at a friends house while I was out. The point is I was constantly active. Acitivity was a way of life that I just rediscovered.

2010-06-10 2:20 PM

User image

Expert

Obesity is a huge problem in our community, and in our hospital-based clinic especially. The problem is that many of these families don't have access to grocery stores with healthy food, and fresh produce  and lean meat is much more expensive than cheap processed corn-based products- and once kids get used to the processed stuff it becomes very hard to get them to switch, because these products are specifically designed by BigFood to be appealing (or dare I say it- addictive?).  Add to this the problems of food insecurity (you eat it when you have it, because you don't know when you'll get it again- even if it's been years since you didn't have food), and a lack of recreational options (would you send your kids out to play when there are drug dealers on the corner?), and you have a serious fundamental problem that goes way beyond parents who don't understand or doctors who don't counsel. 

It starts in infancy.  For many people a big, chubby baby is the model of healthiness, and if your baby isn't fat, you aren't feeding it right, or it's sick.  Adding cereal to formula is commonplace, and solid foods are started way too early.  Breastfeeding is not common, and it's so easy to override the baby's natural sense of satiation with a bottle- the breast empties, and a baby can still suck for comfort- the bottle gets refilled over and over, regardless of whether the baby wants more to eat.  I can't tell you how many babies I see for "spitting up" who are having their poor little bellies stuffed with twice the volume that should fit!  A baby's stomach is about the size of it's fist, and these little one month olds are taking 4 ounces!  No wonder they are spitting it up!

We did actually have lectures on nutrition in medical school, so it's not completely ignored!  And we had some training on getting people to change behaviors. The problem is that there isn't a magic bullet.  Some people need to be hit over the head and told they are killing themselves, and need to completely change their lives.  Some need a gentler approach, and will make small changes over time that add up.  How do I tell the difference?  I have no clue!  It's trial and error, but you are much less likely to alienate someone from the medical system by taking a cautious approach (unless the patient or their child has serious complications from obesity).

Things need to change on all fronts.  I agree that we (generalizing broadly) as a nation like to blame our problems on others.  We also don't like sacrifice- we don't want to not eat what we want to eat, we don't want to sweat too hard, or forgo spending money to save for later.  We want to borrow more money so we can buy the bigger house, even if we know in our hearts that the mortgage payment is too good to be true.  We want our kids to think we are their best friends, and if that means taking them to McDs whenever they want it, well, aren't we showing them how much we love them? 

Sorry- this has turned into more of a rant than intended!  My $.02  

And Phil- awesome job- 100lbs off is an impressive accomplishment!

2010-06-10 5:35 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Lots of very good points in posts already.

For me I was athletic as a kid. We played outside a lot and didn't hang out inside when it was nice outside and even in the winter living in Minnesota. I started figure skating when I was 5 and skated 10 hours a week until I was 15. It wasn't until I stopped being active that I started gaining weight.

My dad was an internist.  We grew up eating meat and potatoes and had desert after most dinners. I didn't eat vegetables and my parents didn't encourage me to do so as I won the battle and they gave up.

Nutrition was not discussed at my house at all. Food was fun, reward, used to celebrate, to comfort not for fuel or to have healthy body.

No surprise I gained weight about 10-15 pounds in spurts over years. It wasn't until I was over 250 pounds mom to 5 and depressed I couldn't really do stuff with my kids did things change. I didn't eat sweets much or what folks see as bad food like chips or junk food but I did eat food that was processed but more carbs. One thing as a mom to 5 kids I didn't let my kids eat junk as I didn't want them to follow in my footsteps. They all were normal lean kids growing up and still are.

I lost weight slowly about 64 pounds in first year and got down to 97 pounds lost and have sort hovered in a 10 pound range.  I feel on one hand I have won the battle over obesity as it has been 7 years but it continues to take work. My attitude has changed as to this is what I do not this is temporary diet. I've learned what works for me and what doesn't.

Now my kids and I talk about nutrition often. They know about nutrition and work on eating better. They make efforts to eat more veggies and fruit. No juice for them, we limit deserts. They all play some type of sport or do some type of physical fun thing they like. I feel we as parents can teach our kids but more than that we can have them learn by watching us.

It is sad that good food is expensive and unavailable to so many in the US both kids and adults. Cheap food is mostly processed and not very healthy.

I agree with what someone else said is overweight children, it's their parent's fault for the most part. It makes me so sad to see so many kids overweight when they are so young...their battle will be much harder. How could you do that to your child?  We car pool with a family where their 1st grader is probably 30-40 pounds over weight.

The key to being healthy and not obese is to eat better and move more but exactly how each of us should do that and lose weight is something science doesn't fully know yet. I think our unique make up effects each of us.

2010-06-15 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
FL

I agree as well.

The really sad part is just 15-25 years ago when I was in school, the overweight kids were fairly rare.  Maybe a few in 10 of 15 year olds looked like they needed to lose some weight. 

Now, look at a group of 10 teenagers and often half of them are overweight by alot.  It is crazy.  There is a major problem in how our society lives its lives today.  It is a combination of too much junk food, too much processed food, too many video games, too little outdoor play, parents that are poor examples of eating and exercise, too much eating out, schools providing junk & fast food for lunches, too much on your plate,etc.

We think we have it bad that we are in our 30's or 40's and after years neglect, we have alot of weight to lose but most of us did not start our 20's, being overweight by 25, 50 or 75lbs.

We all need to look into the mirror and take some responsibility and do what we can to change the way our society is handling its weight and eating issues.

Don't get me started on all the processed crap that most people eat as their primary foods...

Ok, that is enough. 

2010-06-15 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
FL

And now let me add one more thing.

Why is it that 99% of parents think that their kid needs juice for their drink (watered down or not).  This just starts a sugar addiction.

Guess what,  I have 5 kids ages 10 to 2 with one on the way.  They went from breast to water and they are just fine.  OJ and apple juice are a treat every once in a while, not a daily occurrence.  Children will drink water because their bodies will tell them when they need it.  If they have juice, they will just drink more than needed and add all that unnecessary sugar.  

2010-06-15 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewis Center, Ohio
A generation of obesity or more so the fear of it is why I am doing triathlons more than anything else. i want my daughter to have a positive influence and a healthy diet at home so she is not tempted by the disturbing foods at school. I know that I ate like crap most of my post high school life and it didn't really affect me until I played WOW and smoked like a freight train. I never want to be there again. I am hoping to get my daughter once she is old enough to do kids tris and play sports and focus on being healthy.

My rant on doctors is the fact that being politically correct has definitely affected how we are treated. I also think that the whole healthcare profession has been derailed. Being a doctor now days is like being a meteorologist (no offence intended to anyone). A doctor can misdiagnose you, mistreat you, ignore you etc and you are still responsible to pay whatever price is dictated. In almost any other field you would be able to fight this. It is just frustrating to me and I hope that one day it can be fixed. I am so sick and tired of being forced to see Dr's as the high and mighty and unapproachable elitists that a lot of them have fallen in to.

I do admit that my family doctor and my wife's obgyn are the most cut throat brutally honest guys in the world and I appreciate that. You may go home crying but shortly after you realize the severity of eating poorly.
2010-06-21 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2860846

User image

Veteran
Kansas City

I'm so sick of people complaining, and not trying to do anything about it.  We've become a nation of whiners, where it is always someone's fault - rather than our own.  Just suck it up and do something about it, instead of letting it fester and get worse. 

Amen to that.

I'm very, very new here but I'll give a little back ground. At age 20 I was 270 lbs. Now, 190ish. shooting for 185. Only lately have I really gotten serious about triing to get in shape. Good shape. I am active at work all day(electrician) and recently started training for a sprint tri in Sept. if the swimming comes around and probably a half marathon in November. Diet is still a problem for me, but I am getting better. It takes work, and I am nowhere close to what all of you are...yet. ;-) Most people just don't want to do it. I am liking this site, people are not afraid to call a spade a spade.

Talk at you all later.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Generation Lost to Obesity (Rant) Rss Feed