General Discussion Triathlon Talk » start for swim portion in pool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-11 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Subject: start for swim portion in pool
My first tri is in just two weeks and the swim portion (500 meters) is in a 25-meter pool. I am wondering how the start works. Do they go in groups based on reported swim time? I have also heard of kind of a snake technique where you swim down one lane then go under the lane line to swim back. Does anyone have some insight on how this normally works?

Thanks
Jason

2003-09-12 5:02 AM
in reply to: #741

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: RE: start for swim portion in pool
Hey Jason,

I'm actually competing this weekend w/a simlar swim start. It will be a snake-style format, with each individual begining at 5 second intervals based on reported estimated swim time. If that's not the case, generally, there will be 3-5 people per lane, with an understanding that you can cross in the middle of the lane, or tap someone (or be tapped) and stop at the next wall to allow passing.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Lu
2003-09-12 5:26 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
Most of the time you have to turn in your anticipated swim time for the yardage and they will start you fast to slowest. The biggest thing to remember is that if it is the snake technique is this: Don't let the swimmers behind you push you and make you race their race. You paid your entry fee just like everyone else and if the race director puts you to far to the front, then that’s the race director’s fault. You generally have a 5 to 10 second intervals between swimmers.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-09-12 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Thanks for the info! I am looking forward the the 27th
2003-09-13 12:22 PM

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
I just got back from the SuperSprint Steelhead Mini tri in Benton Harbor, MI. We did a 250 yd swim in 5 lanes of a 25 yd pool. Down, back, duck under start in the next lane. Started us off at 15 second intervals. Worked surprisingly well.
Neil
2003-09-13 8:18 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Lets hear a race report!

Still Tri'n
Michael

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » start for swim portion in pool Rss Feed