General Discussion Race Reports! » Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon, 10K and 5K Run and Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon, 10K and 5K Run and Walk - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boise, Idaho
United States
YMCA
Total Time = 33m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I rode a shuttle bus from the finish line to the start and there was a couple in their late sixties I would guess. The husband asked his wife, "Do you want me to run with you?" She told him to "Try and keep up, old man!" Then the serious smack talking began. It gave me a giggle.
Run
  • 33m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

They lumped all of the runners and walkers together and it was a huge crowd. It took a good solid half mile to get out of the crowd and able to run at my own pace. The race organizers seriously need to change that.
I followed a lady with funny little ponytails the best I could through the crowd.

At about mile 2ish, I came across a little girl with a shirt that said, "Don't pass me, it's my birthday!" So I went to say Happy Birthday to her as I passed, and I knew her dad. He is from the same little town of 600 people that I was raised in and where my mom still lives. About ten feet in front of the finish line, they passed me! Oh great, my whole hometown probably knew before I even got home that I got beat by a little girl!!
I felt pretty darn good at the end, and had an absolute blast. I love races!!
What would you do differently?:

Duh, train more. I also would have gotten further up front so I didn't have to fight the crowd. Also, I didn't learn the route well enough, so I never really knew where I was in the run. I could have picked up the pace for the last mile, but I just really didn't know how much farther I had.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around. They served of all things, baked potatoes. I guess it is the Famous Potato! The race shirt has this monstrous King Kong size potato behind all the runners. It looks like they are running for their lives!

Event comments:

They just need to have a line behind the starting line where all the walkers start. That was my only complaint.

Last updated: 2010-01-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:47 | 03.1 miles | 10m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Fairly flat but really congested.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-05-15 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon, 10K and 5K Run and Walk

2010-05-15 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2860668

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon, 10K and 5K Run and Walk
Congrats on your race Alana.  Sounds like you learned a lot about race strategy and planning AND had a fun time.  A baked potato for recovery food sounds yummy too.
2010-05-16 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Awesome job Alana.  Looks like all that training paid off.  Next step is a 10k.

2010-05-17 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Awesome race Alana !! Sounds like you had fun (the most important thing). 
I can't believe you got hustled by a little girl !! She drafted you for a mile and slingshoted past you at the finish line!
I think she may have raced before

Great Job!!

2010-05-19 1:26 PM

User image

Regular
Wesley Chapel, FL (Tampa Bay Area)
Awesome Job, you met both of your goals! How awesome!!! Looking forward to many more race reports from you in the future! Stay healthy and God's Speed!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon, 10K and 5K Run and Walk Rss Feed