General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the depressed swimmers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-09 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: For the depressed swimmers
In the past couple of weeks, I went from:
1) not swimming at all, to 1000yd swims.
2) from 25y with a LONG break to 50y, followed by a 30sec break.
3) LOTS of backstroke to ALL freestyle (finally!).
4) short, flailing strokes to long, smooth strokes.
5) looking like I'm drowning, to looking like I know what I'm supposed to be doing.

Today I learned that if I try to power through the water, even though my stroke/breathing technique is improving, I'm not that much faster than if I relax. While I'm still trying to get into the groove, I do still take a 30second break after each 50y. However, I can tell that in the not-so-distant future, I'll be able to do MUCH better.

See? It CAN be done, even for a landlubber like me!

2004-04-09 3:24 PM
in reply to: #17574

User image

New user

Sgt. Bluff, IA
Subject: RE: For the depressed swimmers
Congratulations! I am so excited for you..and hopeful for me!  I haven't done much swimming yet at all.  I have 2 more 5k's I want to do this spring and my first tri isn't until the end of the summer, so I have been focusing on running.  Not too mention, I am nervous about starting the swim.  I can do it...(read: I can float and probably won't drown) but pretty sure I  am going to struggle doing even one lap.  I am scheduled to start next week with 10 minute swims.  Maybe I CAN do one lap in 10 minutes.    It is a small pool, so that is a bit of a joke.....I hope. 
2004-04-09 3:39 PM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
BRAVO! I too have only recently made the shift to 1000 yard swims. I began with 100 yards for a week, then 200, then 400, finally just made the jump to 1000. I have since cut my time down to 24 minutes with just a second or two in between 25 yard laps. I find that I am swimming steady and will not cut off a lot of time at this point by trying to power through any of my laps. I also invested in a swim cap and jammers. The jammers cut about 3 minutes off my time of dragging my old baggy swim trunks through the water. Next comes trying to breath on my right side. I'm hoping I don't drown, I've tried a lap or two but find myself having to remember to swim, not just breathe. Hopefully I can get everyone at the tri to swim on my right!! :-)

2004-04-09 6:43 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Great Job on the swim improvements!  Just keep on keeping on and make sure you get in quality over quanity!
2004-04-10 12:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

You have NO idea how much I needed to read this post today! Thank you so much Joe! Swimming is the bane of my existance.

However! I will say that even in four swims I have improved dramatically. I was stunned by how much better I did between day one and day two. Then on to day three suddenly I was starting to "get" it.

The idea that in a couple of weeks I might actually see enough improvement to not just do it, but do it reasonably well.

Thank you thank you thank you!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the depressed swimmers Rss Feed