General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado BT'ers - Swimming at Chatfield (warning from park director) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-01 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Colorado BT'ers - Swimming at Chatfield (warning from park director)

The president of my tri club sent this message in our weekly newsletter. Thought I'd pass it along to anyone else who swims out there.

This past week I got a very stern letter from the director of the Chatfield State Park. The Clif notes version of what he said is that if we do not get our act right we will lose the privilege to swim out there very quickly. The areas of note are parking - do not park over by the Scuba divers, do not park along the main street or on the right side of the entrance to the parking lot. When we swim we must stay as far West as we can to stay away from the scuba divers underneath us. The scuba divers actually have first right to the pond. If we continue to interfere in their area we will be the first to get kicked out and it will be permanent. Finally, the hours of operation for the pond are: Mon. & Wed. from 4:30-7pm and from 7:30 - 10am on Sat. We are not allowed in the water before the start and must be out by the ending time. The director has asked that Rangers patrol the area and start writing tickets to people do not comply. Hopefully we can all behave and continue to use this wonderful facility.

2005-07-01 2:14 PM
in reply to: #188299

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Colorado BT'ers - Swimming at Chatfield (warning from park director)

Stacie - thanks for the info. 
Too bad the State and/or Park Director abdicated responsibility for swimming to COMSA.  After all, COMSA isn't professionally staffed to police the swimmers, mark the swimming area (in the water), and enforce (unsigned) parking regs!  It makes it real easy for the park director to sit in a government office and nit pick.  HIS rangers should help to prevent these problems, not threaten to kick us out with their jackboots!

Guess I'd better find this bureaucrat's address and get in touch with him. sigh.

2005-07-01 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Colorado BT'ers - Swimming at Chatfield (warning from park director)

OK, just spent a half hour on the phone with the Park Director and sent a follow up letter to COMSA.  Swimming in the pond is awesome.  I can't sit by and let that opportunity slip away.

Should be pretty easy to smooth things out, and the rangers are willing to help make their policies clearer.  They offered to improve signage and put up a bulletin board.  I also asked them to make sure the scuba divers mark the area in which they're diving, for safety.  My kudos to the Director.  Very polite and amenable.

2005-07-01 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
I can honestly say that no one from the dive shop I work with has any problem with the COMSA swimmers. We were out there teaching all last weekend, and nothing was ever mentioned about the swimmers (other than a few staff member admiring the, ahem, physiques of some of the swimmers ). We certainly don't need the entire pond to teach scuba, and there is NOTHING to look at below where the swimmers practice. I can't imagine who would have been complaining to the rangers.

I know the parking out there can be a problem. I was running by the pond area last night, and it looks like they have put up a few more signs regarding parking/no-parking areas, as well as some benches near the "beach."
2005-07-01 6:51 PM
in reply to: #188422

hmmmm excuses not to swim!! woohooo!
2005-07-05 6:42 PM
in reply to: #188647

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Holliewd - 2005-07-01 5:51 PM hmmmm excuses not to swim!! woohooo!

Hollie - time to get off your sofa!!!  There was no excuse built in here.  If anything, you may not have the OPTION to swim in the gravel pond by the time you decide it's a good idea.  Now get down to the pond and get wet

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colorado BT'ers - Swimming at Chatfield (warning from park director) Rss Feed