General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ramblin Rose, 8/22 Winston-Salem Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-28 10:47 AM

User image

Lewisville, NC
Subject: Ramblin Rose, 8/22 Winston-Salem

Singed up for the Ramblin Rose on Aug 22 here in Winston Salem, NC.  I am a lil nervous, but I know I can do it.  I have always been active thru sports and the gym, but I know this is a whole new world of endurance!  I am going to use a beginer 12 week program which alternates S,B, W/R then later goes into bricks.  Havent ranin forever.  I am a little nervous about riding my bike in my town of Lewisville, since everyone is such a professional here it seems!  I don't have that $2000 bike.  I just have a hybrid and Im not wearing the sponsored gear when I ride...hope I don't get ran over!  As far as swimming...sure I can, but never for racing.  I plan on studying some swim strokes to be sure I am swimming effeciently. No time to waste time.  Any recommended sites???  My gym doesn't have a pool so I guess I will join the Clemmons Y or Gateway for the pool only.

Anyone else doing this one?  Up for any advice anyone has!! Thanks so much!

2010-05-28 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2888579

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Ramblin Rose, 8/22 Winston-Salem
Congrats on signing up for your first tri!  Please don't let those expensive bikes intimidate you, I rode most of my first tri season on a hand me down, old school Centurion bike with the shifter on the top tube.  It got me through though and that's all that matters!
2010-05-28 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
I did my first triathlon 3 years ago with a hybrid. You will see a lot of hybrids at your race. If you really like the sport you can get a road bike for next season.You can ride your bike in the neighborhood to get your miles in. Another thing I enjoy is doing spin class at the Y. It is fun and you will meet other cyclists. Also, don't worry about racing. Just go out there to have fun. You should be fine doing your 12 week program. If you can get somebody at the Y to look at your stroke,that would help you know what to work on for the swim.

John
2010-05-28 8:30 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I did my first season on my husband's mountain bike. You'll do great! I recommend this site...oh, wait, I guess you found it already
2010-05-29 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Another suggestion:read Keyone(Carol)'s blog. She has an amazing story.

John
2010-06-01 9:58 AM

User image

North Carolina
Hi there! I'm not signed up for WS, but I am signed up for the Charlotte Ramblin Rose in September! It will be my first tri too, though I used to be a fairly competitive runner. I am most nervous about the bike since I'm not used to riding around traffic - I've got a mountain bike!

I'm really surprising myself at how excited I am about training and how disciplined I'm being in following my program (doing a 20 week one I found on this site). I had a baby 14 months ago today and I can't wait for my daughter to come and watch me on race day.

2010-06-01 10:21 PM

Winston-Salem, NC
I'm not racing in WS, but I live about a mile from there and swim daily at the Gateway.  I'll be volunteering there and cheering you on!  I did my first race on a hybrid too...believe me, you won't be the only one.  Good luck and have fun!
2010-06-02 5:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC
If you are interested in getting a swim lesson to check out all the stroke mechanics I would recommend Chris Bowker.  He also does masters swim classes year round.  I just started the summer session yesterday.  It's a great way to improve your swimming in disciplined environment.   I was a little worried about starting the masters sessions since I'm still not a great swimmer but it was actually really laid back and a great training session.  Chris is a former track runner turned swimmer and triathlete so he understands what we're trying to get out of swimming.  http://www.bowkeraquaticclub.com/

If you enjoy the Ramblin Rose (my wife will be there, she does it every year for fun and really enjoys it) you should come out to the Angels Race at Tanglewood.  That was my first triathlon back in 2008.  It's a very well done race with a supportive environment that gets a lot of first time racers.

Oh and there will be all kinds of bikes at the RR.  My wife did her first on a mountain bike and I'm pretty sure I saw some cruiser type bikes out there too.

Edited by argylemonkey 2010-06-02 6:00 AM
2010-06-02 6:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC
Another thing you may be interested in the the Tri 4 Women training program put on by Fleet Feet in Winston.  http://www.fleetfeetwinston-salem.com/  I don't know if you've ever been to the store but they are a great group of people there.  My wife did the training program for her first RR and since then we've both done several other training programs including the half and full marathon programs.  You get a group training environment in the program with group runs and rides and coached swim sessions.
2010-06-02 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Mock Orange bikes is also doing a tri training series.  They have a trainer set up for Sunday (I think.....you should call if you're interested).  200yd/10mi./5K that isn't timed (unless you do it, yourself).

$20 is cheap enough.  If I wasn't racing Saturday, I'd definitely do it.  They also have another one set for later......maybe late June or July.  Again, call for the particulars.

2010-06-04 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2888649

User image

Lewisville, NC
Thanks!  Yeah its just a Diamondback hybrid (pretty skinny tires thou) and it will work for this one.  If I get hooked..I can upgrade then. 

2010-06-04 9:19 AM

User image

Lewisville, NC
Wow!  Thanks for all the great advice everyone.  I actually had planned on doing the RR in Charlotte last year with some coworkers.  I did the Fleet Feet program here in WS.  I was able to attend most classes and then did not feel well about a week before the race so missed out.  Signed up the first week this year so I am doing it here on my own now.  Cool.  I'm pretty sure I am motivated enough.  Just hate that I have to join the Y for 3months on top of the gym now too.  I did meet Chris at a swim sessoin last year so I wil look into his programs first.  

Thanks everyone!!    
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ramblin Rose, 8/22 Winston-Salem Rss Feed