General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some final 3 weeks advice please? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-29 7:44 PM

User image

Subject: Some final 3 weeks advice please?
Hi there,

I am very much a lurker but read here a ton.  Anyway, I am doing my first triathlon in 15 years at Musselman HIM on July 11.  I started following the BT beginner HIM training program, but have modified it so greatly over time that I am now down to the last 6 weeks and am fairly off the program.  I could use some advice on what to do my final 3 weeks before my taper (I know, you are saying "a 3 week taper for a HIM, who needs that," but I come from a running background and I'm old and I know that I need a longer taper than most people - all of my best half marathons have been run off a 2.5 - 3 week taper). 

So, I think you can see my workouts logged since Jan.  Let me know if you can't see my log.  I am only doing this to finish, it is my first HIM and I plan to enjoy the experience and have a lot of fun (do they DQ you if you throw candy to the crowds ?)  - biking is definitely my weakness - I don't like it particularly yet.  Anyway, here are some of my basics:

Swim:  2-3 times per week, usually one 2500-3000 m. swim, 1 swim class where we do intense intervals, 1 group swim with a lot of drills and some shorter intervals.
Bike:  2-3 times per week, almost all on hills or trainer.  I usually do one bike at least 120 minutes.
Run:  3-4 timers per week, I tend to stay away from speedwork due to prior injuries (which are what led me to triathlons).  My long runs range between 10-15 miles.

Anyway, I just finished a cutback week and now have my final three weeks before my taper, I have the following planned as my key workouts (rest should follow pretty close to what I describe above):

Week 1: key workouts:  2.5 hour bike + 30 minute run, 3000 m. swim, 15 mile run
Week 2:  45 mile bike + 1 hour run, 3000 m. swim, 12 mile run
Week 3:  65 mile ride, 15 mile run, 2 hour ride + 1 hour brick at threshold

Any suggestions on this?  I admit to kind of making it up as I go along.  Please remember, I want to finish happy, but of course I would prefer for it to be happy and running to the finish as opposed to happy and walking.

Thanks so much for any suggestions, Cat

Edited by Catalana 2010-05-29 7:45 PM

2010-05-29 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2890520

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Some final 3 weeks advice please?
Cat,

Your training blog is closed unless you are a friend.

To get some feedback go to your settings and open up your blog so folks can give you some solid feedback.

Good luck and enjoy your training~
2010-05-30 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2890520

User image

Subject: RE: Some final 3 weeks advice please?
Thanks, I am changing the setting now so look forward to some advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some final 3 weeks advice please? Rss Feed