General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training - Subsituting OWS for Pool Workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-05-30 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: IM Training - Subsituting OWS for Pool Workouts
My IM plan has the typical week consisting of 3 swim workouts (sometimes 4).  I have the opportunity to hit a local OWS twice a week.  The plan has workouts designed for the pool, speed days, long days, and different intervals.  I can hit the pool for the speed days.

What is the thoughts on ows taking the place of some pool workouts?  For example, this week I have 2 x 1000 day and a 2 x 1500 plus warmups and cooldowns.  The ows consists of a lap of about 400 yards.

I committed to try to follow the plan as close as possible, but think missing opportunities for ows would be a mistake.

Did that make any sense? lol

Chris

2010-05-30 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2890951

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: IM Training - Subsituting OWS for Pool Workouts
I very rarely swim open water. twice a month, but then again I've been swimming a long time.
Honestly your better off doing some HARD stuff in the pool than open water. If you do want to log some OW time, then do a 20 Minute warm up, 5+ Rounds of 20 Strokes fast 20 easy, long easy swimming doesn't really help anyone. Just a myth of sorts that triathletes need to do long slow open water swimming.

Go 5*200 Strong Effort on :15 Rest, that IMO is much more beneficial that long straight swims. But Yes long swims have their place. Just shouldn't be weekly (again just my .02 as a swim coach)
2010-05-30 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  Thank You.  I don't have a swimming background, so in my simple mind, I was thinking the more ows, the better.

Thanks,

Any more thoughts?

Chris
2010-05-30 4:08 PM

User image

Champion
MA
For me open water swims are beneficial for number of reasons. First my pool swim ability/pace and ows ability/pace are different. Practice ows helps me do better in ows in races as I get practice, sighting, swimming straight and adjust to swimming with my wetsuit. Plus I like ows way more than pool swims and I do this for fun.

Since you have long sets why not do them in local pond or lake?

Most of the summer I may do 1 maybe 2 pool swims a week and the rest I do in open water.

I'm a BOPer swimmer if that makes a difference.

Edited by KathyG 2010-05-30 4:09 PM
2010-05-31 6:42 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

The organized OWS would be a great opportunity to work on drafting.  Find somebody who is about the same speed as you and work on drafting off each others feet and hip. 

2010-06-03 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I am contemplating this same question. There is a group that has invited me to their OWS, and it's really fun. We do break it up into sections, which I could do as intervals.

The water is so much nicer on my skin and hair versus the pool, and it's so much more fun to swim in a beautiful quarry at sunrise with the fishies swimming around under me, instead of battling it out at the pool to get into a lane at 6:01 a.m. because there are only 4 skinny lanes and usually 5 people wanting to swim.

It's been really nice doing the OWS, but I'm pretty certain that I shouldn't be doing them exclusively.
My plan right now is to go to the pool once a week to do a hard speed workout. But I really don't want to. The quarry is so pretty, and I don't have to think about flip turns.

I think hard pool workouts are great for swimmers who are competing in the pool. But we are competing in open water, and I don't think it hurts to do OWS if it's available and convenient for you. As a bonus, my group usually runs after, so I get a better workout. And get to use my tri clothes and get used to all my gear (wetsuit, etc) which I would never take in the pool because of how the chlorine tears up my nice tri racing stuff.

2010-06-03 7:15 PM

Veteran
Vicksburg
I have been doing OWS in my pond for a month now.  My training program calls for 3 swims a week also.  I have been swimming one of those in open water each week.  It is fun and I can get a mile loop.  It is really helping me with my sighting.  I started focusing on this after the swim smooth blog talked about how much time we loose due to not swimming in a straight line in OWS.  You can work all summer on knocking off 5 seconds on your100  time  only to loose minutes due to poor sighting in the race.
2010-06-04 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2900035

User image

Master
It sounds like you would only be subbing 2 OWS for pool swims which would leave 2 other pool swims for your speedy work.  I think this sounds like a great plan.  You can do your long swims or techniques on the OWS days and drill/interval up a storm on your pool days. : )

I do agree with the 2nd poster that pool intervals help you get faster than long endurance swims, but I think that the endurance swims certainly have their place, especially if you can practice sighting.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training - Subsituting OWS for Pool Workouts Rss Feed