Other Resources Challenge Me! » July Team Captains Pow-Wow Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2005-07-04 9:44 AM

User image

Buttercup
Subject: July Team Captains Pow-Wow

Team Captains (and Captains, only, please):

Please use this thread to discuss/hash out rules and a scoring system/formula for the July challenge. A few things to consider:

• Some people have created time goals vs distance goals
  • Some have suggested that, instead of calculating aggregrate goal attainment per team, you instead calculate % of teammates who reach their goal.

This is a totally new challenge and there's no reason we can't throw out some of the previous rules/scoring and get creative with new ideas. Give some thought to what it is we want the BTers to be challenged by - what is the ultimate goal of doing this challenge? - and then create a formula for measuring their success at accomplishing the ultimate goal.

Also, give some thought to how you might break a tie.

In the past, it's been an all or nothing participation. If someone got injured, their totals were thrown out entirely. Maybe we could capture their goal attainment at the point of which they were injured and then weight that in some manner?

Those are my few thoughts on the matter. Please discuss!

2005-07-04 10:25 AM
in reply to: #189670

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Subject: RE: July Team Captains Pow-Wow

After giving it some more thought...I would like to ammend my scoring suggestion.  I still like the percentage completion scoring vice a completed/not completed check mark scoring system.  However, I have to change my view on allowing of "extra" miles in one category to makeup for deficits in another.  There would be no fair way to allow bike miles to make up swimming yardage.....therefore here is my suggestion:

- Each person gets a percentage completion for each discipline with a max of 100% in each.
- Those 3 percentages then are averaged for that person for an individual score.
- The Team score is then achieved by averaging the individual scores/percentage of all teammates.

2005-07-04 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO
I like Cavu9's scoring system, that sounds pretty solid.

As far as tie-breakers, how about we break it by whichever team has the highest percentage of their running goals completed? I know especially for my team, most of us (except for one it seems) are not hard-core runners, and could use a little extra motivation in that department.

As far as injuries, I think it would be easiest to just not use that person's totals. It's pretty hard to calculate what someone would have done had that not been injured. Not sure about this, anyone have any better ideas? I want to make sure everyone in the challenge does really well, and don't want anyone to become discouraged over injury.
2005-07-04 11:30 AM
in reply to: #189738

User image

Buttercup
Forgot to mention: What are the stakes? Charity pledge again?
2005-07-04 2:58 PM
in reply to: #189698

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

I'm ok with Lane's suggestion. I thought of an oh-so-much-better idea, then thought it and realized it's mathematically the same. :-P

As far as stakes go, charity is ok, but I know I, for one, will have to start decreasing my pledges quite a bit. It just isn't in my budget to start becoming this regular of a thing. I think pride/bragging rights is good enough so long as us captains get some good ol' fashioned smack going....

2005-07-04 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
I *might* be the captain for team ten - we're still getting it all together -

I like doing the percentage of percentages - and I want to show STRONG support for stopping at 100%. I've been on some other challenges where you got credit for going over (say you did 80% of sport 1 and 120% of sport 2 then you got a 100% total) - it encouraged under-setting goals and over-training and just didn't seem fair when you got right down to it. Also, when you got to team average it really wasn't about the team, just the over-acheivers pulling along the deadbeats.

Tie breaker could be number of teammates who actually made 100% goal. Or total number of people/sport/100%ers (Each person has possibility of 3 points, 1 per sport)

I have a question for you all - are we going to do this July 1-31 (4 weeks plus change), or July 4-31 (4 calendar weeks)?

Oh yes, I am way too anal analytical!

Thanks for playing!
Annabanana

2005-07-04 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Maine

I don't have a problem with Lane's scoring plan.

The dates should cover 7/1-7/31, since I know that at least one person on my team (me) set his goals based on the whole month...

Time goals, distance goals, fine either way with me.

2005-07-04 8:03 PM
in reply to: #190057

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

I agree....dates include the full month of July.  The tiebreaker can be the team with the most # of 100% completions (in all disciplines).  Max would be 24, of course.....8players x 3 disciplines.

As for the winner/rewards, I agree with the charity donation, but this is my first challenge, so those that have been in all challenges may want to stray from that idea.  I am open to all suggestions....but side bets can and should be made between teams.

Edited by Cavu9 2005-07-04 8:04 PM
2005-07-04 8:10 PM

Champion
What about something along the lines of getting as close to your goals but not over? It's easy to reach goals if you set them low enough. But should more weight should be applied to higher mileage (time) goals? Should a person who sets a goal of 500 bike miles and makes it get more points than someone who sets a goal of 300 miles and makes it? Am I way off base here? That's entirely possible...I haven't been thinking too clearly as of late!

Errr...I think I may have echoed some of Annabanana's (nice nic BTW) thoughts.

Edited by max 2005-07-04 8:12 PM
2005-07-04 8:48 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

"Should a person who sets a goal of 500 bike miles and makes it get more points than someone who sets a goal of 300 miles and makes it? Am I way off base here? That's entirely possible..."

A goal is a goal regardless of the miles pledged.  I purposefully set my cycling goal low because I expect that some days I will may be too busy to ride or to tired..  Anyways if I set a goal for whatever reason, that is my goal and if I realise it then I am 100% successful.  Of course if a member usually does 500 miles per month and sets his/her goal at 300 miles that would be unethical.

2005-07-04 10:26 PM

Elite Veteran
I'd be thrilled if each and every team member met all of their goals this month. I view this challenge as an extra motivation to get out of the bed early or go out into the hot weather so as not to let the team down. The true bottom line, for me, is that we have BTers showing up at a race knowing they've done the work to get there.

Having said that, I think Cavu's suggestion is quite reasonable. I don't have any problem with teams ending up tied (see above), but I can understand teams wanting a more discrete ranking. Having the second tie breaker be measuring actual miles run/bike ridden/swim meters swum would certainly work, but just pick one discipline this month. If most people hate running (and I don't) then pick running. Personally, I'm not loving the swim right now so I'd pick that. But bottom line, let's just pick one as a secondary way to break a tie if that is what the group wants to do.

I also believe this month's challenge should just include a voluntary contribution to charity. No tracking and totally on the honor system. If we wanted a 'BT' infusion to a charity, we could pick one at the end of the month, go with the second choice for this month's charity, or just each person give to the charity of his or her choice. I don't really have a preference ( other than supporting Steve).

Last, time versus distance goals don't matter. My coaching plan involves time goals (other than the swim), others involve mileage/km goals. Who cares. Percent is percent which is why I think it is the best method this month.

Thanks for herding us cats, Renee!

2005-07-04 11:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-07-05 7:35 AM

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Lane's calc method is solid.  I agree with doing it that way. 

I think we should continue to PUSH the charity aspect.  Even if pledges are small, we are doing something to help out somewhere, and there's tons of worthy charities out there.  I realize that if this is done every month, then it really starts to add up, but its for such a worthy cause.  Heck...1 dollar...5 dollars...whatever...there's 10 teams in this challenge.  We have a great opportunity to make a difference here.  I feel that I'm competing on someone's behalf that can't compete.  Winning team contributes minimum 50% of their pledge, Losing teams contribute 100% of their pledge.

As far as ties go...worst case is two teams all get 100% achievement.  IMO, they share the podium....both earned it...why take it away from em.

Edited by jkbostic 2005-07-05 7:37 AM
2005-07-05 9:35 AM
in reply to: #190206

Buttercup
Subject: RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

My but you are all being so agreeable!

Ok, so here's what I hear you saying:

• Scoring system is % of teammates reaching their time or distance goals (no extra points for exceeding their goals).
  • Challenge dates are July 1 - July 31.
  • This is a pledge challenge (seems to be the majority opinion).

I'd like to point out that the Goddesses would have won the June bike challenge had we used this system. I bring this up simply to play 'devil's advocate' to make sure everyone realizes what a difference this system makes. Diff between winning and losing. If you're happy with this system, then that's what we're going with.

What I need from the Captains:

• PM (or email) your team's individual 3 goals and pledges.
  • Each Monday, PM to me your team members actual time/distance. You have only 8 or 9 people to track and that is so much easier than me trying to track about 90 people individually. Thanks for your cooperation with this.

I will update the spreadsheet each Monday after 5pm.

2005-07-05 10:01 AM
in reply to: #190304

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
Sounds good to me Renee!

Should we PM you today with July 1-3 actuals, or roll those into next week?

I've got a few folks still to set goals, but will get them nailed down today or tomorrow.

Since I'm new to all this, is the pledge a $ amount you will give if your team doesn't win or ???

Thanks!
Annabanana
2005-07-05 10:03 AM
in reply to: #190337

Buttercup
Subject: RE: RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

PM me with goals by end of day today.

Next Monday, PM me with actuals.

Pledges: each teammate makes a pledge; can be as little or as much as they want. They tend to average $20.

2005-07-05 11:58 AM

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Why not have each team choose their own charity, with the same ground rules.  This way more charities are benefitted.  The winning team would still get bragging rights.  Just a thought.

2005-07-05 12:25 PM
in reply to: #190471

Buttercup
Subject: Q FOR CAPTAINS: NEED EVERYONE'S INPUT

With respect to hitting Bike goals:

The question has been raised whether spinner and trainer miles can be applied to Biking miles. In the Ride Lots challenges (all 3, I believe), these miles did not apply. Ride miles had to be miles ridden on the bike, outside.

Please discuss and come up with a consensus as to whether you want to change this rule for this challenge.

2005-07-05 12:30 PM
in reply to: #190508

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: RE: Q FOR CAPTAINS: NEED EVERYONE'S INPUT
Ok, as the originator of this rule (I demanded it of bear in our first challenge), here was my thinking... We all have bad weather, or get lazy and don't get on our bikes before dark, but only half of us perhaps, have trainers. I believe that the fact that some people can just ride indoors constitutes an unfair advantage. Plus, if we allow trainers, then someone will want a stationary bike and we all know how accurate the mileage is on those!
2005-07-05 12:37 PM

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Who said that we agree with Bear????

Trainers may not be completely accurate, but if you don't think I am getting a good workout pounding away on my trainer at 15 mph (when I would normally be getting 17+ outside), you would be mistaken.  So why would a slower pace and mileage workout not be allowed?  On a treadmill, if you aren't running at an incline %, then you aren't really running at the pace that it says....it is assisting you.....therefore you are running at an easier effort.  Why allow a treadmill but not a trainer?????

I thought this was a challenge to get people to work out!!!  Not a challenge to see who could do the most miles.  If it was just about X amount of mileage, I would agree, but it is not.  If we had a bet to see who could ride the most miles, then I would say that leveling the playing field would be fair!  This challenge is against ourselves....not other people's mileage/time.  What is the difference in me setting my goals with the expectation of using a trainer or treddy.....or....setting a lower mileage goal expecting not to use them???  Either way, I have to meet my goal!!!

Again, just my views.....but if we are not going to allow trainer/treddy workout, let me know and I will adjust my goals!!!

Edited by Cavu9 2005-07-05 12:38 PM
2005-07-05 12:44 PM
in reply to: #190526

Buttercup

Though I am neither Captain nor participant, I will take advantage of my position as Facilitator to weigh in on this matter.

The bike challenges were RIDE LOTS challenges. The desired outcome was for people to get on their bikes and ride, ride, ride. Therefore, the Miles With Butt On Your Bike rule made sense.

This Tri Challenge is really a TRAIN LOTS & CONSISTENTLY challenge. The desired outcome is for people to improve their tri-game by consistently training in all 3 sports. I think that you should consider allowing trainer and spinner mileage as those directly contribute towards the bike leg of Tri Fitness & Training.

2005-07-05 12:53 PM
in reply to: #190536

Pro
Helena, MT
Yeah, after reading the thread about it and especially Lara's argument (plus whoever it was with the kid), I would have no problem giving in on this one. Besides, I just need to pony up and buy a damn trainer.
2005-07-05 1:29 PM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

I agree wholeheartedly with Renee.  Training on a stationary bike, bike trainer, spinner, road bike, mountain bike or any kind of bike is training!  After all the whole point of all this is to motivate members to train.  I vote that we accept:

Cycling on a stationary bike, bike trainer, spinner, road bike, mountain bike.

Running or walking, whether outside, on a treadmill, on a stairclimber, or in a pool.

2005-07-05 1:31 PM

Expert
Orlando, FL
I just want to throw my support for trainer miles in here - I am another mom trying to balance staying home with the wildman and staying fit. Somedays that means riding the trainer and watching Caillou 'cause it's 100 degrees outside and he'd melt in the bike trailer.

Since we're really trying to hit our own goals, and my goals include trainer time, I want to include them. They'll be on my log!

(Just for what it's worth, I'd also agree NOT to count them in a cumulative ride lots type challenge, and maybe ina few years I can even try that out!)

If the group decides the other way, I'll have to adjust my goals downward to compensate, so deciding sooner rather than later would be more fair I think.

Ok, off the soapbox and back to figuring out today's workout!

Annabanana in strong support of moms of little ones trying to tri!
2005-07-05 2:01 PM
in reply to: #190600

Pro
Helena, MT
Machiavelo - 2005-07-05 11:29 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Renee.  Training on a stationary bike, bike trainer, spinner, road bike, mountain bike or any kind of bike is training!  After all the whole point of all this is to motivate members to train.  I vote that we accept:

Cycling on a stationary bike, bike trainer, spinner, road bike, mountain bike.

Running or walking, whether outside, on a treadmill, on a stairclimber, or in a pool.

Ok, now stationary bikes are another matter. They think I average 25 mph over a hilly course. I say if you need to do this, just use the time and multiply it by your average speed! I'm also not so sure that stairclimbers are even analagous to running....

How about this: if you use a training analog in which your distance is difficult to determine, you must set time, rather than mileage goals. For instance, I may get injured again from all the running I have planned so I set a goal of 40 miles or 8 hours, should I have to substitute pool running. Make sense? Either that or you should have to multiply it by your avg speed, NOT use what the machine tells you....

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » July Team Captains Pow-Wow Rss Feed  

of 4