General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sitting position Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-06 11:20 AM

Subject: Sitting position
From the riding I've done off road and what I (thought) I knew about seats, I'm confused now.  I thought that the rear part of the seat is where you should be so that your are on your "sit bones".  Seems like a lot of the pictures I see of tri riders, they are sitting more on the front part of the seat. 

2010-06-06 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2903383

User image

Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Sitting position
triathlon is a different animal and quite frankly you can sit wherever you feel most comfortable while still generating power.

some folks attempt to sit like they're sitting in a chair but a bike and a tri bike are different and you need to rotate your pelvis so as to sit more forward to generate power effectively and efficiently.

at least that's how I understand it, but I am the uber poseur slow rider.
2010-06-07 1:02 AM
in reply to: #2903961

Veteran
Boulder
slow triathlete - 2010-06-06 6:09 PM

triathlon is a different animal and quite frankly you can sit wherever you feel most comfortable while still generating power.

some folks attempt to sit like they're sitting in a chair but a bike and a tri bike are different and you need to rotate your pelvis so as to sit more forward to generate power effectively and efficiently.

at least that's how I understand it, but I am the uber poseur slow rider.

Actually, that's very well worded.

Think about the way the sacrum/hips are shaped. When you sit "like you're sitting in a chair", your spine points up and forward. However, in a good tri position [like the one you posted, which is the most perfect tri position imaginable], the spine is pointed forward. So, you have to rotate the front of the pelvis down. this means that you have to put weight (and pressure) on your "taint" - duodenum, perineum, whatever you call it. This isn't designed to be a weight-bearing area, so it's highly uncomfortable.

Certain saddles exist to help with it - see the ISM Adamo Race and any of John Cobb's saddles (esp. the V-Flow).

Being forward allows you to use your quads almost exclusively on the bike, saving your hamstrings and glutes for the run. Also, it allows you to get into a more compact, and hopefully, aero position.
2010-06-07 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2904353

User image

Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
I like the word 'choda' for the taint:D

The problem with riding in the agressive position is that by using your quads in abundance your hammies will tighten and if you're not using a good stretching program or something else to loosen you could suffer later.

The hammies affect the lower back. Trust me.
2010-06-07 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2903383

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Cyclists refer to the forward position as "riding on the rivet".  It's a more powerful position, but not necessarily more comfortable.  The stuff about it saving your quads for the run is pretty much unsubstantiated theory.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sitting position Rss Feed