General Discussion Triathlon Talk » allergies after open water swims? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-08 2:42 PM

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Subject: allergies after open water swims?
I have a uncommon problem.

If I swim in a fresh water river or lake I will have a sever allergic reaction to it starting about 2 hours after, and it lasts for 2 days.  I will have soar throat, itchy eyes and a very runny nose.
I think there is water getting in through my ears, because I a wear earplugs it sometimes will avoid the problem.
I swim in a masters swim all winter in a pool and have no problems at all.  I can go all spring / summer with no allergies untill I go swimming. 
Anbody ever hear of this?
I am thinking it is something in the water like bacteria or bug or whatever. 
I would love to find a cure or prevention.  Earplugs are a pain and unrealible.

Thanks

2010-06-08 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2908939

User image

Master
Subject: RE: allergies after open water swims?
Not uncommon. Probably a reaction to mold or pollen around the lake. Zyrtec or another non-drowsy antihistamine. 
2010-06-08 4:48 PM

I've have the same problem, except that I have bad seasonal allergies as well.  I would do an OWS and then couldn't do anything the rest of the week because the allergies were so extremely bad.  Zyrtec/Clariten didn't make any difference at all.  Neither did using a Neti Pot within 5 minutes of exiting the water.  The only thing that I've found that does work is to wear nose plugs during the swim.  Initially, it was difficult to get used to the change in breathing and it made me slower (initially 10 seconds per 100), but after a few months of wearing them in the pool and lake I'm only slightly slower than when I started using them.
2010-06-09 7:37 AM

User image

Chicago
I have the opposite problem.  Allergic reaction to chlorine in the pool, but fine in OWS.  I take zyrtec and I'm fine after a few hours out of the pool.  
2010-06-09 7:46 AM

Regular
CT
I get the same reaction for 10+ years. Limited success with antihistamines.
Last time out i soon flushed with saline, and was encouraged with the results.
Albiet j?ust one data point so far.
2010-06-09 8:35 AM

Ottawa Ontario Canada
tried the algery meds with no success at all.
Tried the saline flush, but it was a couple hours after the swim with no sucess.

Another point is that it is only if I swim "hard".  If I keep my head above the water or go easy than no problems. 

I am also fine in saltwater.

Thanks for the input

2010-06-09 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois
I too have the opposite reaction. After an OWS I'm fine but after a pool swim I can spend the next 2 days sneezing my azz off. Drugs didn't help but although I dont really like them nose clips do the trick for me. Took a little getting use to but I no longer suffer.
2023-09-04 10:55 AM

This is an old thread but I’ve had terrible 2-3 days uncontrollable allergies after OWS this year despite no similar issues in prior seasons. Tried all OTC meds, netipot, & prescription nasal spray to no avail. Literally have to schedule two days off and try to wait it out with NyQuil/ZzzQuill every time I swim for 30-40 minutes.

Reading this, I’m going to try nose clips and see if climate changes make the conditions any different next year. If not, may have to give up tris for a while. I have a job & it’s hard enough finding time to train! ??
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » allergies after open water swims? Rss Feed