General Discussion Triathlon Talk » using a turbo trainer in apartment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-20 12:58 PM

Subject: using a turbo trainer in apartment
Just a quick question to anyone who uses a trainer and live in an apartment.

Between looking after my wife, daughter (both ill) and work being crazy these past few weeks my time on the bike has been limited so I've been trying to get some time on the trainer while they've been sleeping. I was about 30 mins in when my neighbour ( 1 floor below me ) knocked on the door to complain about the noise. 

I have the trainer set up on a foam mat - I guess this doesn't reduce the noise like I thought it would.

Does anyone else live in an apartment and use their trainer and if so what do you have to reduce the noise? 

thanks,

matt

2010-06-20 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2932665

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: using a turbo trainer in apartment
well, you could try this...get a big cardboard box...just taller than wheel..cut it so it fits around everything and doesnt hit your pedals.  then throw a couple of towels on top.  You will be facing foward so no need to worry about the shoddy job you just did.
2010-06-21 7:48 AM

User image

Regular
This isn't a quick fix, but I finally switched from a magnetic to a fluid trainer, and I found that it is much quieter.  I used to be afraid to ride at any unusual hour when I might disturb or wake up my neighbors, but now I don't give it a second though.  I do have the trainer on a spot with carpet, which might help a little as well. 
2010-06-21 8:30 AM

Master
I've got a highly-regarded CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer (the other highly regarded one is the Kurt Kinetic Fluid trainer) and for what it's worth, there's no way I can use it in my apartment. The floor noise and vibration is very significant despite manufacturers claims that it's quiet.

With my cyclocomputer, at speeds of <15mph, it's probably usable and quiet, but at 18+, and for sure, 20+, you get a big hum and a significant vibration that's enough to rattle most downstairs neighbors unless the floors are very sturdy. 
2010-06-24 4:19 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I was more so talking about the vibration noise through the apartment. I saw that some mats claim to reduce the vibration but at $50-$80... well it's a relatively expensive test for something that might not make a difference.

I tried a different more dense type of foam mat at the weekend and it made a differnece so now I'll play around with the set up and see.

Thanks for your help

matt
2010-06-24 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
I would put down an extra piece of carpet, with some underlay, then whatever mat you have on top of that.
Just a question for everyone, but wouldn't a more dense mat material actually worsen the problem? Doesn't density add to the transmission of sound?? (...recalls elementary school lessons on why whales can hear for hundreds of miles...)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » using a turbo trainer in apartment Rss Feed