General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Raider Sprint Triathlon (Buffalo Springs) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri Raider Sprint Triathlon (Buffalo Springs) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Lubbock, TX
Total Time = 2h 11m 11s
Overall Rank = 155/176
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/23
Swim
  • 14m 25s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Survived my first open water swim!
Kind of freaked not being able to see water. Wet suit helped me feel more secure about being in water. Started toward back of pack. Few strokes- moved on to a mean dog paddle and a fierce side stroke! Felt very panicky in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Practice open water swim!
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Bike
  • 1h 18m 17s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 13.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Drank lots of water. First half:I thought my high end for HR on the way out was 145. Mostly I stayed under 145. The hills were tough. I didn't walk any part of them and I recovered fairly quickly from the spiking HR. I didn't notice much wind on the way out.I felt strong on the way out. I kept a high cadence and stayed in zone. Made the turn around and on the way back my high end was 155. As I said earlier I didn't remember my strategy so I had to guess. The return trip there was a fair amount of wind. I felt myself starting to loose focus and feeling squirmy with about 1/4 of the ride left. Mentally I think I was breaking down a bit. The wind was tough and I just didn't feel as strong as I had on the way out. I finished the ride okay. My stomach ached a bit on the way back from the turn around. Sort of cramping--felt kind of "kinked" up.

Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Run
  • 33m 10s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 38s  min/km
Comments:

Once I started the run I noticed chafing on the inside of my arms. Felt like Bee stings. So I don't know how to say how the run went with out ragging on myself. I'm going to try to be objective here. After hitting the first water station I walked some. I'd run some and walk some. I didn't want to push. I'm not sure if I was tired or mentally tired or what. I'd run some walk for about 30 seconds. Run some more etc. I'd see other people walking and think I'd walk a little bit too. I was certainly tired, but looking back I think I could have run in through. I kept to the plan and stayed under 165 for the first mile. Pretty much stayed under 170 the last two miles. I really pushed at the very very end. Sprinted to the finish line. I wish I had pushed more on the run. Maybe run it through and then pushed the last mile. It was weird- I just didn't want to push anymore than the push required to finish. I was tired and I was hot. Maybe feeling ready to just go home? I don't know.

Post race
Event comments:

HOT! Super sunny and hot. Coming straight from 2 months in NM the heat and humidity was a killer! Great race. Super friendly folks and loved the relaxed environment and being able to see amazing atheletes in sprint and 1/2 iron. Also loved that the announcer said my name when I was heading out on the bike and coming in on the run! Made me feel special!

Got through first open water swim!

Last updated: 2005-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:25 | 500 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 158/176
Performance:
[STRATEGY-Relax]
Suit: Wet Suit
Course: Lake Swim- Around inlet
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:17 | 17.6 miles | 13.49 mile/hr
Overall: 0/176
Performance:
[STRATEGY- 125-140 OUT / 130-150 BACK]
Wind:
Course: Monster Hill + 1 out of transition- otherwise flat
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:10 | 05 kms | 06m 38s  min/km
Overall: 0/176
Performance:
[STRATEGY- 155-165 M1 / 155- 170 M2 / Push! M3]
Course: Mostly Flat
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-07-09 1:53 PM

User image

New user

Dallas, TX
Subject: Tri Raider Sprint Triathlon (Buffalo Springs)

2005-07-09 3:36 PM
in reply to: #193778

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Tri Raider Sprint Triathlon (Buffalo Springs)
Great job! I hear the hills are pretty rough out there, and with the heat I'm sure it's even tougher. Way to go!
2005-07-09 6:05 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Awesome job!  BSL is a tough course!  The heat, wind, and hills get to everybody.  And what a swim for your first open water!  I have never seen the sprint start, but I have to assume it's the same as the half start...lots of people all aiming for the same small opening!  What do you mean not being able to see the water?

The chafing on the inside of your arms is probably due to your wetsuit.  Mine usually gets me too.  I was pretty badly chaffed there last year.  This time I hit myself up with body glide just prior to the swim then slab on some vaseline before the run.  They hurt a lot less this go around!

2005-07-10 2:00 PM

User image

New user

Dallas, TX
Thanks for your comments...I didn't know my post would show up...Thanks for noticing me! I just practiced my open water swim today.
2005-07-10 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great Job...you did it and overcame a few difficulties and finished strong with something left in the tank. I like your plan and how you worked your plan. The heat, humidity and hills add so much to the difficuly of a Tri!

Sounds like you learned a lot about your plan and how you executed it and you'll bring that into your next race.You did your open water swim and now you will be practicing your open water swimming and soon you won't get the panicky feeling. I had that panicky feeling at my first tri and now I'm cured...I do ows 2-3 times a week and now like ows better than pool swimming.

Super Race...thanks for sharing...you rock!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Raider Sprint Triathlon (Buffalo Springs) Rss Feed