General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Therapeutic Use Exemption Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-06-24 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2942681

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Therapeutic Use Exemption
nc452010 - 2010-06-24 8:01 PM Since you seem set in your opinion no matter what anybody says, we should have a doctor chime in.  Would that help? 

Absolutely.  I'd never discount an expert's opinion (much respect, actually).  If they tell me testosterone (which, I believe is on the banned substances list) is not a PED......I'll accept that.  No emotion, here.

Testosterone when used for therapeutic replacement purposes is not a PED. 

2010-06-24 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2942693

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
nc452010 - 2010-06-24 9:09 PM

I don't disagree with anything you said.  In fact, I also gave the OP props for his candor.

Blueberries, though, aren't on the banned substances list.  I'm looking at this with NO emotion.  If they treat each case, individually, I say BRAVO!

But (devil's advocate), is a "doctor's recommendation" the line in the sand?  Again....I'm asking if that's the line of demarcation?  IF it is, you're potentially opening up a huge can of worms (again - personal opinion).  That's all.

At the amateur level, yeah, I'd bet that a doctor who is ready and willing to say what needs saying is all it takes.  OP's experience makes it clear that USADA is going to put that doctor through a few paces first, though.

Is that perfect?  No.  But we are talking about AMATEURS here.  Frankly, the day that someone starts asking me to pi$$ (ETA: apparently you can't spell that correctly here) in a cup is the day that I start wondering what the &#@^! is going on.  I do this for fun.

Edited by Experior 2010-06-24 8:18 PM
2010-06-24 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2942693

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
nc452010 - 2010-06-24 8:09 PM

I don't disagree with anything you said.  In fact, I also gave the OP props for his candor.

Blueberries, though, aren't on the banned substances list.  I'm looking at this with NO emotion.  If they treat each case, individually, I say BRAVO!

But (devil's advocate), is a "doctor's recommendation" the line in the sand?  Again....I'm asking if that's the line of demarcation?  IF it is, you're potentially opening up a huge can of worms (again - personal opinion).  That's all.

The key is that there is a legitimate prescription and doctors statement.  If the Doc wants to damage his rep and all that for an athlete, there isn't a lot that anyone is going to do about it. 
2010-06-24 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2942699

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
DerekL - 2010-06-24 7:13 PM
nc452010 - 2010-06-24 8:01 PM Since you seem set in your opinion no matter what anybody says, we should have a doctor chime in.  Would that help? 

Absolutely.  I'd never discount an expert's opinion (much respect, actually).  If they tell me testosterone (which, I believe is on the banned substances list) is not a PED......I'll accept that.  No emotion, here.

HeHe. Saw that one coming a mile away (DerekL is a doc, an actual MD, practicing in the trenches, not some fancy-pants Phd doc.)

So you think you can get a doc to falsify lab results that show that you have a low T level (I believe the normal range is 200-800 for males 18-50 or something like that) and then write you a script. Hm, you'd actually have to get the lab to falsify the report. I'm thinking that would be tough, or pricey.

ETA: And if you DID get a doc/lab to  falsify the reports, and you got a TUE, you would still be brought up on charges IF your testosterone levels were above the "normal" range. So in your example, you start taking T supplements, your T levels go above 800 (again, I think thats the top end of the range, could be wrong) and you get tested, then it's pretty clear that you are using it as a PED. No one needs a testosterone level that high (and good old Floyd and a few others have tried to claim that they just naturally HAD high T levels, but the prior testing didn't bear that out.)

The OP is using it just to get up to, in his words, the "low normal range" so there is no PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT beyond letting his body simply function normally (since men do need their testosterone to function...)

Edited by lodewey 2010-06-24 8:25 PM
2010-06-24 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2942708

User image

Champion
lodewey - 2010-06-24 8:17 PM

HeHe. Saw that one coming a mile away (DerekL is a doc, an actual MD, practicing in the trenches, not some fancy-pants Phd doc.)

Yeah, sorry bout that.  Just having a little fun.   
2010-06-24 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2942030

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I wouldn't (hypothetically) be asking them to falsify anything.  But (devil's advocate, again) is 200 low?  What if he thought it was best for me to be at 400?  I'd still be WELL within the range.

Derek - I sort of figured you were an MD, as well.  If you tell me that a substance on the banned substance list isn't a PED (though, that's why it's listed, there)......it changes my previous view in one way.

2010-06-24 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2942723

User image

Champion
nc452010 - 2010-06-24 8:27 PM  

Derek - I sort of figured you were an MD, as well.  If you tell me that a substance on the banned substance list isn't a PED (though, that's why it's listed, there)......it changes my previous view in one way.

That's sorta the gist of what we're trying to say.  It depends on the context in which it's used.  If it's used to replace levels to normal, it's not a PED anymore than estrogen supplements are for postmenopausal women.  If it's used to boost levels to above the normal range for a nonmedical reason, then it's a PED. 
2010-06-24 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

We're splittin' hairs, Derek....(Doc)....and it's just a twist on words.  My opinion (in calling them PED's) is that no matter who takes them....they're enhancing THAT person's performance.  Whether that constitutes an unfair advantage, or not, is irrelevant (to my statement). 

If the OP can get the governing bodies to accept his situation and issue the TUE, then I applaud him/them.  I wish him luck, sincerely. 

2010-06-24 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2942748

User image

Champion
nc452010 - 2010-06-24 8:41 PM

We're splittin' hairs, Derek....(Doc)....and it's just a twist on words. 

I don't think we are at all, but we are going round and round. 
2010-06-24 8:55 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
nc452010 - 2010-06-24 9:41 PM

We're splittin' hairs, Derek....(Doc)....and it's just a twist on words.  My opinion (in calling them PED's) is that no matter who takes them....they're enhancing THAT person's performance.  Whether that constitutes an unfair advantage, or not, is irrelevant (to my statement). 

If the OP can get the governing bodies to accept his situation and issue the TUE, then I applaud him/them.  I wish him luck, sincerely. 

That's right, but, at least in the eyes of USADA, whether something enhances performance is simply not the issue.  As I said before, lots of things enhance performance.  What matters is whether the use is therapeutic.

Testosterone (or EPO for that matter) is on the list of banned substances because no normally healthy person needs it to be healthy.  It is taken either for therapeutic purposes or for performance-enhancing purposes (and never for simply nutritional -- or deliciousness -- purposes, as blueberries are).  The purpose of the TUE is to distinguish between these two purposes.
2010-06-24 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Experior:

Again....I disagree with nothing you said.  Like I said, I hope he's successful.

2010-06-24 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2942718

User image

Champion
the colony texas
DerekL - 2010-06-24 8:24 PM
lodewey - 2010-06-24 8:17 PM

Yeah, sorry bout that.  Just having a little fun.   

well played sir... golf clap 
2010-06-25 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2942638

Expert
acerbins - 2010-06-24 8:31 PM Yes, I did read part of the thread on that forum, and yes, you guys are much nicer. Smile

I don't know how comfortable I am spilling my medical history online. I'm probably spilling too much as it is. But, just as a sort of defense (not that you are being accusatory at all), I will say that I have a disease that has caused certain systems in my body to shut down, one of those being my Testosterone levels. My doctor assured me that this was a result of that disease. I was only in my 20's when I noticed all of the symptoms, and Replacement Therapy brought me back to normal. Even on therapy, my levels are by no means high. I went from being below an acceptable level for my age to a low-normal level. I certainly didn't turn into some muscle bound dude.

Thank you for sharing that.  Again, I certainly didn't mean to come as across as accusatory as another poster seemed to infer (relax John).  I just wanted to have a better grasp of the reason so that I can offer my thoughts in an unbiased manner.

I think you have more than ample reason to jump through the hoops needed to get a TUE.

But here is my thought.  I would not even worry about it unless you are getting to the point where you are really competitive and placing in larger races.  I appreciate the extreme honesty with the racing organization but you are only doing tris for fun and fitness.  And it appears obvious so far that you are not taking in levels that would dramatically affect your performance and ability to recover.

Because let's face it, testosterone is used as a PED in endurance sports for recovery, not for muscle mass and increases in overall abilities.  That is what EPO and blood doping are used for.

I would personally say just don't bother with going for a TUE (unless it is already too late and there is a mark in your file).  Any time you have to do something like that there are going to be time and monetary costs involved to meet all the criteria a governing organization are looking for.
2010-06-25 7:43 AM

User image

West Georgia

I agree with you here. The idea of competition sports in general is that we take what we are born with and see what we can do with it.

If Test doesn't count as a PED in the OP's case then I can argue that since Brian was born with better genetics than I was that I should be able to use some drugs to bring my levels up to his. Brian has an unfair advantage vs. me because my genetics are not as good as his. Therefore either I should be able to "adjust" my natural genetics or Brian should not be allowed to race.

Now I don't think that the OP should not be allowed to race but I also don't think that if he won he should receive any awards for it.

Because if you start saying well he had a medical condition, then thats like well he won because his VO2 was higher than mine, or he has a higher hemocrit count than me so I was blood doping to level the field, etc.

Those cases are all exactly same, OP's condition and my genetics being less than Lance Armstrongs, so if he can use PED's then so can I. Because I promise you that an elite athlete's levels of just about everything are above "normal."

Get it? 
2010-06-25 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2943108

User image

Champion
gr8gorilla - 2010-06-25 7:43 AM

I agree with you here. The idea of competition sports in general is that we take what we are born with and see what we can do with it.

If Test doesn't count as a PED in the OP's case then I can argue that since Brian was born with better genetics than I was that I should be able to use some drugs to bring my levels up to his. Brian has an unfair advantage vs. me because my genetics are not as good as his. Therefore either I should be able to "adjust" my natural genetics or Brian should not be allowed to race.

Now I don't think that the OP should not be allowed to race but I also don't think that if he won he should receive any awards for it.

Because if you start saying well he had a medical condition, then thats like well he won because his VO2 was higher than mine, or he has a higher hemocrit count than me so I was blood doping to level the field, etc.

Those cases are all exactly same, OP's condition and my genetics being less than Lance Armstrongs, so if he can use PED's then so can I. Because I promise you that an elite athlete's levels of just about everything are above "normal."

Get it? 

The difference is that we're not talking about normal variations in physiology.  We're talking about people with legitimate medical conditions requiring treatment.

An analogy that I used previously is a broken leg.  We don't call a cast a "performance enhancing device" as it's simply used to return the person to a normal state on par with everybody else.  Sticking robot legs with rocket engines on somebody with normal legs is a whole different situation.

Similarly we don't consider albuterol for true asthmatics to be a PED.  We do if it's used by nonasthmatics for a performance boost.
2010-06-25 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2943108

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
gr8gorilla - 2010-06-25 8:43 AM

Get it? 

Sure I get what you're saying, but it is a pretty extreme view of what counts as 'therapeutic use' as opposed to 'performance enhancing use'.  Indeed, you seem to be saying that TUEs should not be allowed at all.  In the end, I think that your view is untenable.  The substances that are on the banned list are not there simply because they enhance performance -- lots of things enhance performance.  They are there (in part) because they have the potential to be used solely (and dangerously) for the purpose of enhancing performance.  That's why TUEs exist -- to handle the cases where they are being used not solely for performance-enhancement.

In any case, nobody (at least I can't imagine anybody) who thinks that there is a legitimate place for TUEs would agree that boosting your XYZ to bring it up to someone else's levels just because that person's levels of XYZ are higher is a therapeutic use.  Nor is there a slippery slope leading to that conclusion.  Therapy has to do with treatment of a disease condition, and nobody thinks that 'not being able to race like so-and-so' is a disease condition.

Sure, there may be gray areas, and we could have a long and interesting discussion about just what counts as disease (and therefore what counts as therapeutic versus performance enhancing use).  I could even point you to some literature on that if you are really interested.

2010-06-25 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2943140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD
DerekL - 2010-06-25 7:53 AM Sticking robot legs with rocket engines on somebody with normal legs is a whole different situation.

I'm in!
2010-06-25 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
I hope everything goes well and for sure don't worry. Just look at it as one more hurdle.
2010-06-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2943044

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Road Phoenix - 2010-06-25 7:12 AM
acerbins - 2010-06-24 8:31 PM Yes, I did read part of the thread on that forum, and yes, you guys are much nicer. Smile

I don't know how comfortable I am spilling my medical history online. I'm probably spilling too much as it is. But, just as a sort of defense (not that you are being accusatory at all), I will say that I have a disease that has caused certain systems in my body to shut down, one of those being my Testosterone levels. My doctor assured me that this was a result of that disease. I was only in my 20's when I noticed all of the symptoms, and Replacement Therapy brought me back to normal. Even on therapy, my levels are by no means high. I went from being below an acceptable level for my age to a low-normal level. I certainly didn't turn into some muscle bound dude.

Thank you for sharing that.  Again, I certainly didn't mean to come as across as accusatory as another poster seemed to infer (relax John).  I just wanted to have a better grasp of the reason so that I can offer my thoughts in an unbiased manner.

I think you have more than ample reason to jump through the hoops needed to get a TUE.

But here is my thought.  I would not even worry about it unless you are getting to the point where you are really competitive and placing in larger races.  I appreciate the extreme honesty with the racing organization but you are only doing tris for fun and fitness.  And it appears obvious so far that you are not taking in levels that would dramatically affect your performance and ability to recover.

Because let's face it, testosterone is used as a PED in endurance sports for recovery, not for muscle mass and increases in overall abilities.  That is what EPO and blood doping are used for.

I would personally say just don't bother with going for a TUE (unless it is already too late and there is a mark in your file).  Any time you have to do something like that there are going to be time and monetary costs involved to meet all the criteria a governing organization are looking for.

Are you speaking of me or tkd - John.  I ask becasue I did not mean to infer that anyone was out of line and if it came across that way, I guess I was and I certainly apologize. 
2010-06-25 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2943180

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Experior - 2010-06-25 6:09 AM

Get it? 

Sure I get what you're saying, but it is a pretty extreme view of what counts as 'therapeutic use' as opposed to 'performance enhancing use'.  Indeed, you seem to be saying that TUEs should not be allowed at all.  In the end, I think that your view is untenable.  The substances that are on the banned list are not there simply because they enhance performance -- lots of things enhance performance.  They are there (in part) because they have the potential to be used solely (and dangerously) for the purpose of enhancing performance.  That's why TUEs exist -- to handle the cases where they are being used not solely for performance-enhancement.

In any case, nobody (at least I can't imagine anybody) who thinks that there is a legitimate place for TUEs would agree that boosting your XYZ to bring it up to someone else's levels just because that person's levels of XYZ are higher is a therapeutic use.  Nor is there a slippery slope leading to that conclusion.  Therapy has to do with treatment of a disease condition, and nobody thinks that 'not being able to race like so-and-so' is a disease condition.

Sure, there may be gray areas, and we could have a long and interesting discussion about just what counts as disease (and therefore what counts as therapeutic versus performance enhancing use).  I could even point you to some literature on that if you are really interested.

Seriously? Are we now debating the genetics issue over this? Phhht.

If you get right down to it, electrolyte replacement is performance enhancing. Maybe we should ban NUUN, Infinit, etc. If you aren't naturally half camel, tough.

And the bike. Definitely not fair that some people can afford the BMC TTX with SRAM Red, while I'm on an old aluminum P3. Ban everything but 1980's era 8 speed Treks. With cages.

If you really want to take it to extremes, maybe we should figure out an "anti testosterone" drug, to administer to athletes who have naturally HIGH levels of testosterone. After all, that's not fair to us "normal" folks to have to compete with the freaks.

To the "not receiving awards" thing, are you serious? That's just...well, words fail me.

Say you have a testosterone level of 400. His WITH THE REPLACEMENT THERAPY comes to 300. Still less than yours. He beats you for first place in a race. Even though his levels are lower than yours, you still think that because he takes a supplement he should be dq'd?

That's narrow minded and short sighted at the very best, I won't say what I really think of it.

John
2010-06-25 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2943548

Expert
jdwright56 - 2010-06-25 11:15 AM Are you speaking of me or tkd - John.  I ask becasue I did not mean to infer that anyone was out of line and if it came across that way, I guess I was and I certainly apologize. 

Not you John, the other one (in response to my question earlier in the thread).

2010-06-25 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2943567

User image

Extreme Veteran
tkd.teacher - 2010-06-25 11:23 AM
Experior - 2010-06-25 6:09 AM

Get it? 

Seriously? Are we now debating the genetics issue over this? Phhht.

If you get right down to it, electrolyte replacement is performance enhancing. Maybe we should ban NUUN, Infinit, etc. If you aren't naturally half camel, tough.

And the bike. Definitely not fair that some people can afford the BMC TTX with SRAM Red, while I'm on an old aluminum P3. Ban everything but 1980's era 8 speed Treks. With cages.

If you really want to take it to extremes, maybe we should figure out an "anti testosterone" drug, to administer to athletes who have naturally HIGH levels of testosterone. After all, that's not fair to us "normal" folks to have to compete with the freaks.

To the "not receiving awards" thing, are you serious? That's just...well, words fail me.

Say you have a testosterone level of 400. His WITH THE REPLACEMENT THERAPY comes to 300. Still less than yours. He beats you for first place in a race. Even though his levels are lower than yours, you still think that because he takes a supplement he should be dq'd?

That's narrow minded and short sighted at the very best, I won't say what I really think of it.

John

x2...

Proteine shakes, GU, caffeine... Even the padding on your shorts are design to enhance performance...

The guy is asking a real question in a very polite way, and everybody start talking smack about PED... If you want to get Test u don't need to go to the doctor, they sell it really cheap at most Gyms...

relax people
2010-06-25 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2943576

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Road Phoenix - 2010-06-25 8:26 AM
jdwright56 - 2010-06-25 11:15 AM Are you speaking of me or tkd - John.  I ask becasue I did not mean to infer that anyone was out of line and if it came across that way, I guess I was and I certainly apologize. 

Not you John, the other one (in response to my question earlier in the thread).

Heh. Wasn't meant to sound accusatory, but I've seen threads like this before, and they always devolve the same way.

Not questioning the reason you have from the doctor per se, but why do you need to supplement so that we have an understanding of the need?

That was what kind of irked me. He explained why in his original post, and then ppl start questioning if it's a "real need". Sorry for the tone.

I guess I have a slightly different view than most people. I firmly and avidly want to believe in the integrity of sport. To me, a victory due to drugs isn't worth the time it takes to write about it. It's like people that pad their handicaps in golf so they can win a local tournament. (I also detest that they let professionals into the Olympics, but...)

We have what we consider "normal" ranges. If people fall below that, I have no problem with therapy to bring them to normal. If people are over those ranges due to genetics, good on them, well played. I just need to train harder.

So to me, yeah, I know they are out there doping in the AG ranks. I know that I'd have placed higher in some races if they hadn't been doping. Does it bother me? A little, but I just think it has to be a hollow thing to place so much value on the extrinsic facets of racing that you have to cheat to do well.

And, if everyone was equal genetically, we'd have 3000 people each triathlon tying for first place. Be awfully crowded on the podium. Tongue out

John
2010-06-25 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I apologize in advance, as I am defintiely not trying to hijack this thread...I really clicked on it out of boredom but then realizes it applies to me also.  I am also taking a prescribed testosterone replacement (Androgel) and I'm a Kona Lottery Winner for this year.  Being someone that has battled health issues this 9 months (DVT's, Pulmonary Embolisim & Sleep Apnea -all diagnosed within 3 months of one another) I was prescribed the test. gel to bring my levels back to a normal range, as they were well below the normal levels.  As my 6:30:00 HIM time can attest from 3 weeks ago, I am not a podium guy at all and will most likely get chicked by Chrissie Wellington at Baggage Claim at the airport in Kona.  I am ok with that.  Surviving blood clots in the lungs reminded me how lucky I am to be standing, let alone be racing in Kona this year.  Do I need to get a letter from my doc and also fill something out?  I did not even think about it until I saw this thread. 

Thanks in advance and best of luck to the OP.

Brian
2010-06-25 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2943751

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
MultisportMinistries - 2010-06-25 9:18 AM I apologize in advance, as I am defintiely not trying to hijack this thread...I really clicked on it out of boredom but then realizes it applies to me also.  I am also taking a prescribed testosterone replacement (Androgel) and I'm a Kona Lottery Winner for this year.  Being someone that has battled health issues this 9 months (DVT's, Pulmonary Embolisim & Sleep Apnea -all diagnosed within 3 months of one another) I was prescribed the test. gel to bring my levels back to a normal range, as they were well below the normal levels.  As my 6:30:00 HIM time can attest from 3 weeks ago, I am not a podium guy at all and will most likely get chicked by Chrissie Wellington at Baggage Claim at the airport in Kona.  I am ok with that.  Surviving blood clots in the lungs reminded me how lucky I am to be standing, let alone be racing in Kona this year.  Do I need to get a letter from my doc and also fill something out?  I did not even think about it until I saw this thread. 

Thanks in advance and best of luck to the OP.

Brian

I would contact WTC and ask. Much better to find out and have what you need than get through all that and be DQ'd.

Congrats on the lottery spot!!! Enjoy it!

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Therapeutic Use Exemption Rss Feed  

of 3