General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just having fun vs achieving your full race potential Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-06-25 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2944620

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: just having fun vs achieving your full race potential
Donskiman - 2010-06-25 4:40 PM
mrbbrad - 2010-06-25 11:57 AM
Cardholic - 2010-06-25 12:28 PM

Also, one can argue that achieving your full race potential IS FUN

Does anyone else struggle with "just having fun" vs "achieving your full race potential"?

I would argue that so for me there is no struggle. Achieving my full race potential is fun and fun is a very subjective thing. Taking it easy in a race and not going hard and not worrying about my finish time is not fun for me.

I would argue that outside of the pros, Olympic athletes, and a very few AGers - almost nobody comes anywhere close to reaching their full race potential. To do so would require far more training than most people have time for.

So while you may train hard and push yourself to the max you have trained for - very likely you aren't even close to your full potential.

I guess I read "achieving your full race potential" more along the lines of "in the context of other constraints, your focus is on racing the best you can". 

In other words, I thought the spirit of OP's question was more like:  Given the choice between a training session that will be more beneficial to your race, and one that will be more fun, which do you pick?

I agree with cusetri and others, though.  I rarely find that, for me, there is a distinction between those things.

2010-06-25 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2944672

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Experior - 2010-06-25 3:03 PM
Donskiman - 2010-06-25 4:40 PM
mrbbrad - 2010-06-25 11:57 AM
Cardholic - 2010-06-25 12:28 PM

Also, one can argue that achieving your full race potential IS FUN

Does anyone else struggle with "just having fun" vs "achieving your full race potential"?

I would argue that so for me there is no struggle. Achieving my full race potential is fun and fun is a very subjective thing. Taking it easy in a race and not going hard and not worrying about my finish time is not fun for me.

I would argue that outside of the pros, Olympic athletes, and a very few AGers - almost nobody comes anywhere close to reaching their full race potential. To do so would require far more training than most people have time for.

So while you may train hard and push yourself to the max you have trained for - very likely you aren't even close to your full potential.

I guess I read "achieving your full race potential" more along the lines of "in the context of other constraints, your focus is on racing the best you can". 

In other words, I thought the spirit of OP's question was more like:  Given the choice between a training session that will be more beneficial to your race, and one that will be more fun, which do you pick?

I agree with cusetri and others, though.  I rarely find that, for me, there is a distinction between those things.

A person can always race the best they have trained for regardless of what they do in training. I still argue that is not the best they can, and few people ever train enough to race the best they can. I would further contend that some people are able to race above the level they've trained for, but still fall far short of racing the best they can - or to their full potential.
2010-06-25 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2944699

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Donskiman - 2010-06-25 5:14 PM

A person can always race the best they have trained for regardless of what they do in training. I still argue that is not the best they can, and few people ever train enough to race the best they can. I would further contend that some people are able to race above the level they've trained for, but still fall far short of racing the best they can - or to their full potential.

I don't disagree.  I just don't think it's what OP was asking about.  Do you prefer workouts that are more aimed at improving race performance, or workouts that are more aimed at fun?  For some people, this is a real choice that must be made.  For me (and others), most of the time, it isn't because 'aimed primarily at race performance' and 'fun' are the same thing.
2010-06-25 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2943796

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
I'll be honest, I do it to be competitive.  Yes, I enjoy all three sports but going fast, racing, competition are really what is fun for me.   
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just having fun vs achieving your full race potential Rss Feed  

of 2