General Discussion Triathlon Talk » good or bad Vibram or Nike free running experiences Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-05 2:09 PM

Subject: good or bad Vibram or Nike free running experiences
Just like most people, I've read Born to Run and am thinking about a pair of Vibrams or Nike Free.
I have a persistent bout of plantars fasciatus  and am hoping Vibrams or Free's will help out. Let me know how you felt after the switch and how you started training when you made the switch (start up mileage or time running)
Thanks
Jon from Westfield, MA

2010-07-05 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2961862

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: good or bad Vibram or Nike free running experiences
Never was a runner. It always hurt my back or knees. I"m sure i have totally terrible form. When i used the vibram 5 fingers my back and knees were fine after some short runs. My calves got a tremendous beat down so I never ran far. I worked up to 1.5 miles consistently and felt fine. Tried upgrading to a 5k from the 1.5 miles and got a small tear in my calf muscle. I like the concept but recommend caution. I generally try and run in the grass next to the sidewalk. For me it's more fun in those shoes, but like I said...... I"m not and never have been a good runner.
2010-07-05 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I have the VFF and use them about once a week. I've never had any issues with them, but I was already a midfoot striker. A typical overstriding heel striker will likely have a tough time using the VFF because they aren't designed to work well for that style. I use them for form work and they work well. I always run decently fast when using them because they almost force me to maintain good form throughout a run, plus they are super light. I've used them is a couple short races and had decent times. The longest I've run in them is a bit over 8 miles.

No experience with the Nike Free.
2010-07-05 2:47 PM

New user
Have been running full time in VFF's (both KSO and Bikila) now for 6 months, up until then regular running shoes.  My transition to minimalist shoes was not due to any injury but purely out of curiosity and interest after reading Born to Run.  The transition for me was very difficult, my feet and calves were extremely sore for the first month but blisters and swelling on key hot points like my heel and ball.  I can almost definitely attribute my difficulty transitioning down purely to the fact that I ignored everyones advice and did not take it slow.  If you have the patience and can build your distance slowly with the shoes then I'm confident you can have a relatively easy transition period.  The key part though is that it takes time.

As of now though, I'm generally running about 25-30 miles a week in VFF only.  Longest runs have been 9 miles.  I thoroughly enjoy the new Bikila and feel they are an improvement on the KSO for running, especially on harder surfaces such as concrete.  My long term plans are to continue running in this full time however my only remark against the shoe is that they can take a considerable amount of time to put on, making them less then ideal for quick transition time.

All in all, if you have the cash and the patience then I thoroughly recommend the shoes. 
2010-07-05 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware, OH
I transitioned (rather quickly) to my VFF's about 2 months ago.  Started with a slow transition, then realized that if I didn't make myself run in them full time, I was never going to get there.  I am a relatively short distance (5 mi is a long way for me) and slow (if I am having a good day I can hit a 9 min mile, but ave is about 10) but I LOVE the Bakila VFF's!! Never felt so good in a shoe. I do also feel like my calves and ankles are much stronger for it.  I highly recommend them, but it can hurt to work those muscles out for the first time, but if you were afraid of pain, you wouldn't be doing triathlon!!
2010-07-05 3:03 PM

User image

Hickory, NC
All but gave up running then the Nike Free's along with a shorter, faster cadence saved me. Now I run pain free and am back into triathlon. Nike Free's rock... as do the VFF's.

2010-07-05 3:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
I've been training in my VFF Sprints for about 6 weeks now.  Like a lot of people, I had to give my calves a little while to adjust.  I generally have a lot of problems with my knees and hips being very achey after extensive running, but since I made the switch I have not had any issues. 
2010-07-05 3:11 PM

I have very small feet and was wondering if I bought a pair of womens Vibrams since they are done by size if they will be the same as the mens...didn't notice any construction differences between the mens and womens..just size
I am hoping to be able to eventually transition to full on barefoot running to help speed up my transition time as long as my feet feel comfortable.
I'm doing Sprint Tri's right now so the runs are about 3miles.
If I get a pair I will start with mile or less to start and see what happens
I want to get up to Olympic and HIM but don't want to reverse my mileages to re-learn with the new shoes.
I guess I'll try it for a few weeks and see if my feet respond and maybe work on form more.
2010-07-05 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2961918

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
jqabookings - 2010-07-05 3:11 PM I have very small feet and was wondering if I bought a pair of womens Vibrams since they are done by size if they will be the same as the mens...didn't notice any construction differences between the mens and womens..just size.

My stepdad ended up buying a pair of womens because he couldn't find a store that had his size in stock.  Says they are the same.
2010-07-05 3:28 PM

User image

Regular
GREAT experience; been running in them 7 months now EXCLUSIVELY.  Completed a half-mary 5 weeks into them.  I run in the Classics; i've run in the KSO's, but MUCH prefer the Classics.  I've not tried the Bikilas for that reason.  YESSS, your calves will be put through the wringer; in a good way.  I'd been alternating conventional running shoes with the NIke Free's prior, but now do not forsee going back to conventional running shoes EVER.  Reading Born To Run was the final bit of Kool-Aid.
2010-07-05 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
I typically rotate Nike Free's with normal running shoes.  I really enjoy the feel of running in them and do feel faster.  The first few times I ran in them I had 'foot spasms' but since then they've been fine.

A word of caution about vff's / barefoot running;  not all feet are built the same and some just need the support of a traditional shoe.  I used to be pro minimalist running but my feet just don't land right unless I have the right insert.

2010-07-06 7:48 AM

i think I may buy a pair of Vibrams and Nike Free's for my birthday in Aug and try both out and see if one works better than the other for me...thanks for all the advice and please keep posting any updates
2010-07-06 7:58 AM

User image

Runner
I have found it has less to do with the shoes, more to do with the training.
But that's my simple opinion.
2010-07-06 8:01 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I started running in VFF/KSO's around the first of the year.  I worked into running longer distances but then my PF kicked up after running a little over an hour on a trail (I was running in the VFF's).  my feet were really beat up after...bruising even on the top of my feet.  I don't know that my PF flaired up again because of the VFF's but in hind sight I should have not run that long on a trail with them.  Started running again a couple weeks ago.  Only using my shoes right now.  I'll probably start running in the VFF's again...slowly. 
2010-07-06 8:04 AM

User image

Central Illinois
I absolutely love my Vibrams! I have worked up to 4 miles running in them. Wear them ALL THE TIME just walking around (so does my husband). My goal is to work up to my 1/2 marathon this fall in them.  You feel so free when you wear them. Like when you were a kid running because it was FUN, not because you felt like you had to.  I hate putting my regular running shoes on after them!  I say Vibrams, all the way!

Oh and I have found that regular running shoes hurt my back and knees, but the VFFs do not.  Yet anyway...we'll see when I up my miles.  Good luck with whatever you choose!

Edited by 4mebobpandtay 2010-07-06 8:05 AM
2010-07-06 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2962742

Regular shoes hurt my knee and minimalist shoes hurt my achilles--I just can't win, so I alternate.

2010-07-06 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2962742

User image

New Haven, CT
slight hijack - where do Zoots fall on the "minimalist" shoe spectrum?  Also, do people go back and forth between regular and minimalist shoes (i.e do their 3-5 milers in VFFs and 15 milers in more supportive/cushioned shoes), if so what have your experiences been?

2010-07-06 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
I run pretty much full time in Vibrams.  I can't sing their praises enough and  the new Bikila's are really comfy.  I also have a pair of Saucony Bullets that I will wear and run in some times.  They're pretty much racing flats.  When I converted to minimal footwear my knee and shin pain went away.  I attribute it to more correct form which would work in regular running shoes but I guess for me it was hard to get that form in regular shoes
2010-07-06 8:25 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
VFF's and Frees, much like a Garmin or a wetsuit, are a tool. They will not make or break your running. They may help, they may not. My biggest concern is that so many people are jumping on this with expectations that aren't realistic. Yes, they may help your stride. Yes, they may help sort out some foot issues. But they're not a magic bullet. Start slow and build up.
2010-07-06 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2962807

User image

Runner
phoenixazul - 2010-07-06 9:25 AM

VFF's and Frees, much like a Garmin or a wetsuit, are a tool. They will not make or break your running. They may help, they may not. My biggest concern is that so many people are jumping on this with expectations that aren't realistic. Yes, they may help your stride. Yes, they may help sort out some foot issues. But they're not a magic bullet. Start slow and build up.

Bingo.
2010-07-06 8:40 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
phoenixazul - 2010-07-06 8:25 AM VFF's and Frees, much like a Garmin or a wetsuit, are a tool. They will not make or break your running. They may help, they may not. My biggest concern is that so many people are jumping on this with expectations that aren't realistic. Yes, they may help your stride. Yes, they may help sort out some foot issues. But they're not a magic bullet. Start slow and build up.
simple yet a very good post.

2010-07-06 10:29 AM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Only good experiences with my Nike Frees so far -- except for Memorial Day weekend when I kicked a partially buried rock on the downhill part of my trail run -- no stiff sole for protection and pretty sure I cracked a bone in my foot.  I've had to wear regular running shoes to walk since then -- hoping to start running again soon and next time pick up my feet

2010-07-06 11:11 AM

User image

Master
phoenixazul - 2010-07-06 9:25 AM VFF's and Frees, much like a Garmin or a wetsuit, are a tool. They will not make or break your running. They may help, they may not. My biggest concern is that so many people are jumping on this with expectations that aren't realistic. Yes, they may help your stride. Yes, they may help sort out some foot issues. But they're not a magic bullet. Start slow and build up.

Agree. 

I love my Vibrams but am still only wearing them around the house and my office on casual day.  I wore them on a 2.5 mile hike and was sore for a week so I've not tried exercising in them again.  DH and I walk barefoot each night and I'll gradually work up to running in the Vibrams, but with PF that keeps flaring up and a bunion issue, I am afraid to just jump into them.   They seem to help the bunion issue, though, because they keep my toe straighter and away from my other toes.
2010-07-06 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
I've ran in my V5F's exclusively for the past five months.  My itbs went away and my form had a night and day improvement.  However, once I got to 25+ mpw, I started having problems with the insufficient heel cushioning as well as pain in my metatarsal bones.  Apparently, metatarsal fractures are a very real and common occurrence with high mileage in V5F's.   Last week, I switched over cross-country racing flats, and running is much better now.   I don't regret running in V5F's, as it's greatly improved my running (midfoot-striker now), but just be aware that it can cause problems.  Unfortunately, Born to Run, while an inspiring book and great read, fails to mention that. 

They are worth a try.  

To answer the second part of your question, spend the first two weeks running 10-20 mins every other two days.   Things to pay attention to- land on the ball of your feet, but don't overdo it. Your heel should kiss the ground.  Make sure your back is erect when landing, and you should never be able to see your feet, as they are underneath your body when landing.

Hope that helps.  
2010-07-06 11:18 AM

User image

I have had plantar fasciitis too. I fixed it by buying over the counter arch supports/foot cushions to place in my work shoes. I then bought running shoes that also had a good arch. Over a period of months my problem subsided. I have had it flair up if I go to a minimal arch shoe. I think that the arch actually helps to stretch the plantar.

Anyway just my 2 cents.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » good or bad Vibram or Nike free running experiences Rss Feed  

of 2