General Discussion Race Reports! » GRAND HAVEN "Y" TRI, DU & SPRINT TRI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

GRAND HAVEN "Y" TRI, DU & SPRINT TRI - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Grand Haven, MI
United States
3 Disciplines
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 28s
Overall Rank = 52/109
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up LATE (an hour late). Drove with "caution and poise" (yeah, right) to Portland to pick-up trixie and hopefully make it to Grand Haven before they closed packet pick-up.
Event warmup:

Not much time for warm up, other than walking from car to transition area, to car, to transition area, to car, to new parking lot, to swim finish, to swim start (olympic), back to swim start for sprint. (The point I am trying to make here is that none of these things were close together)
Swim
  • 15m 14s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was slow swim for everyone. I think there were two reasons:

1. The swim was in Lake Michigan, and it was pretty calm, but there was still some tide/current action that we had to work against in the lake.

2. THE WATER WAS FREEZING COLD! I almost quit in the first 50 m. I couldn't breath, and I certainly couldn't keep my face in the water. I looked around and a ton of us were either swimming with our heads out of the water or backstroking because it was so freaking cold. The race organizers said the water temp was mid 60s, but I do not believe them. Some seasoned triathletes didn't even start the race because they thougt the water was too cold and miserable. That should have been a warning.
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention to water temps before getting in. Not wake up an hour late.

Find out if there are any techniques for catching your breath when you are in freezing cold water.
Transition 1
  • 10m 32s
Comments:

This was, no joke, an 800m transition. We ran out of the water, across the beach, to the pier. Once their I stripped my wetsuit and put on running sandles so I could run the 700 remaining meters back to the transition area. The pier was a nice combination of wood plank and cement so running without shoes seemed like a bad choice.

The transition area was at the top of a hill too, so after not being able to breath in the swim and having to run 800 m back to TI, then we had a hill climb.

Once I got to the transition area, I noticed that my chain had fallen off, so that added more time to my transition as well. However, I still had one of the faster transition times for the women in this race, so I guess its not that bad.
Bike
  • 42m 14s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great on the bike and actually think my speed was probably more like 18 mph. I was cranking, and feeling good. Problem was, I was zapped for the run.

not burn my legs so much on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 31m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile

bet
Post race
Warm down:

walked around. Found trixie. tried to cool off. At this point I realized I was over heated.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad pre race routine. Not a good taper plan. Waking up late and not getting my coffee. Blowing out on the bike.

Event comments:

This will be a great race once they work out the first year problems. The volunteers had no idea which end was up, and there are some logistics they could improve on. However, I did enjoy the race and will be back next year. Change for next year's plan is to actually stay in Grand Haven the night before and not have this chaos in the morning. :)

Note: I believe I did set one record on Sunday. Land speed from Lansing to Grand Haven.

Last updated: 2005-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:14 | 500 meters | 03m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 0/109
Performance: Below average
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit - full body
Course: point to point along the shoreline. Ended at the lighthouse.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 10:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:14 | 12.4 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Performance: Good
I am estimating my time. removing time for the chain malfunction, and my T2 which for some reason didn't record better
Wind: None
Course: rolling hills. out and back. Almost killed by a "helpful" police officer directing traffic. overall nice, but they could do more with traffic control.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:29 | 03.1 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Performance:
this is when my race fell apart. It wasn't traditional bike to run probelems where your legs feel wierd or anything. I just had a horrible run. Couldn't get my breathing, my shoulder knotted up, and i was clearly crashing from a bad pre race routine and blowing out on the bike.
Course: flat, along the water.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-13 7:43 AM

User image

Regular
East Lansing, MI
Subject: GRAND HAVEN "Y" TRI, DU & SPRINT TRI

2005-07-13 10:42 AM
in reply to: #196864

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Subject: RE: GRAND HAVEN "Y" TRI, DU & SPRINT TRI
Nice race! Way to gut it out in the swim. Lake Michigan is a tough lake for a tri. Your run looked just fine to me!
2005-07-13 3:43 PM
in reply to: #196864

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: RE: GRAND HAVEN "Y" TRI, DU & SPRINT TRI
nice finish, considering the race snafus!  and the land speed record was VERY IMPRESSIVE! i'm so glad we didn't get pulled over, but i woulda faked some medical emergency for you. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » GRAND HAVEN "Y" TRI, DU & SPRINT TRI Rss Feed