Premier Event Management
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 22m 43s
Overall Rank = ???/????
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 65/82
Pre-race routine:

Made a PB&J and had a bottle of amino vital. Forced most of the sandwich down - wasn't hungry - and drank some AV. Prob didn't eat far enough in advance or drink enough. Took a shot or two on the inhaler, too.
Event warmup:

The walk up to the swim start - that would be a mile and a half for the ladies...
Swim
  • 30m 31s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I don't even want to talk about it. I had the shittiest swim of my life - more so than the Flag Day swim I did last year. The current was insanely strong pushing us downtown towards the swim exit. Perfect! Well, for this idiot it was not. I intentionally started further to the right knowing that I swim left and still I wound up next to the ropes and had to keep doing breastroke to reorient myself and get further to the right. Instead of a straight line, I swam a zig-zag.

In a situation where I should have done a sub-20 minute swim, I swam a 30:31! WTF?!?! I am so pissed about this - I did 22 last year and was way prepared this year. Sighting was an issue in that I knew all I had to do was go straight - HELLO! - but it seemed as if the exit was getting further away instead of closer. Jeff found me early on and I heard him cheering me on the whole way downtown and as I got out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Hmmm, start as far right as I possibly can. Learn how to swim in a straight-ish line.
Transition 1
  • 08m 43s
Comments:

The 1/2 mile jog along the blacktop of riverbank state park's pedestrian pathway is not the most pleasant experience. I did jog it the whole way though. I glanced at my watch and noticed that my swim was about 30 min and I was pissed.

I didn't really have wetsuit troubles - little extra pulling off the heels, but otherwise fine. Did some spritz's of sunblock cos my skin is still slightly red and tender from the burn 2 weeks ago at Tupper Lake, so I had to take precautions this time. Also used the inhaler.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 49s
  • 40 kms
  • 25.31 km/hr
Comments:

I really, really thought that I would have improved my time this year, with a bike that is mine that actually fits me and aerobars that I know have made me faster, plus more diverse training in terms of hilly places outside of central and prospect parks. I wanted to push myself a bit more especially cos I know I can do this distance and then some.

No such luck.

There was some wind both directions but I don't think that it was detrimental to cause me to be so slow overall. I would watch people pass me that just pissed me off - why I don't have the power to either get up the hills or go faster is just killing me.

And not to mention the snot factor - what is wrong with me that in 90 degree sunshine, my nose is running like a faucet which makes it hard to actually breathe properly throughout the course? geez....

chop off my nose, for starters...ride lots more...conquer the hills even though these were not insane, they still cause me to go much slower than everyone else (ie less than 10mph).
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

The person's bike that was next to mine was basically on top of all my stuff so I had to move it. Thank you #699. I put my hat on and fixed my ponytail as I ran out. After I ran out, remembered that I didn't have my race belt on with my number, so I had to run back in to get it. Great! Good thing I was only about 4 rows from the exit. Also took a puff or two on the inhaler.

Remember my race belt before exiting T2.
Run
  • 1h 05m 58s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 36s  min/km
Comments:

Oh, well, to wrap up this fine, fine race day for me, I of course had issues breathing. I know not to push myself too hard on the run cos otherwise I will start wheezing, even with using the inhaler beforehand. So, I start out running small steps - I've done enough BRicks and enough tris at this point that I don't have terribly dead legs, but take it slow and easy at the start so I can get into a groove. My legs weren't really giving me problems. I couldn't get a full, deep breath. That was hindering my performance overall.

Stopped a couple times throughout and walked through each aid station. Took a sip and dumped the rest on my head under my hat. Somewhere btn mile 4 and 5 I had to stop and bend over with my head down to my knees and just relax. I kept telling myself to stop stressing over being slower than last year overall (I saw my watch) and just RELAX. So I got that deep full breath that I needed and pretty much ran the rest of the way. Passed a couple other slowpokes like me along the way.

Maybe carry the inhaler with me. I've never done it before, but never usually have these problems.
Post race
Warm down:

Unfortunately, nothing. walked back to transition and schlepped my bike and bag to the parking lot to get the car. Took a 2 hour nap when I got home. Had very little to eat - what is with me and my lack of appetite pre and post race??? had half a bagel and water immediately after the race and some of a "bakers breakfast cookie" on the ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Who knows? Too much tapering between the Tupper Lake 1/2 and this tri?

Event comments:

While I think this is a great race, the post race area is WAY TOO CROWDED! They need to spread out more - it's Central Park - LOTS of room!!

Overall I personally had a lousy day. Everyone has their "off" days and this was mine. Every segment of the race something else was bothering me or giving me problems. For the swim it was the current pushing me to the left along with my zig zag swimming and then breathing issues throughout the entire race.

But at the end of the day, what everyone has since said to me is what I have to keep telling myself: I FINISHED.

Last updated: 2005-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:31 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 62/82
Overall: 0/????
Performance: Bad
Suit: orca sleeveless wetsuit
Course: straight shot (theoretically speaking, of course) down the hudson from 99th to 79th street.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:34:49 | 40 kms | 25.31 km/hr
Age Group: 53/82
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Rolling hills up and down the northbound side of the Henry Hudson Parkway. Relatively smooth but quite a few potholes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:05:58 | 10 kms | 06m 36s  min/km
Age Group: 66/82
Performance: Below average
Course: Run out of Riverside park up a very short, very steep hill to 72nd St. Run across 72nd from the west side to Central Park. Turn left onto west side drive and up and over the northern hills and down the east side to the 72nd St transverse where the finish line is on "dead road."
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-13 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: NYC Triathlon

2005-07-13 7:24 PM
in reply to: #197409

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: NYC Triathlon
Sounds like you had a rough day. One race is not a good indicator of the progress you have made. It sounds like you really made the most out of a rough day and as you said you finished.

Hang in there.

Mike
2005-07-14 2:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
sorry you had a tough race, but you persevered and finished!  sometimes races just don't go as planned, but fortunately you've had other good races and you know you can do it!  great job finishing under stressful circumstances!! 
2005-07-14 9:14 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO

Sorry it was such a bummer day, but a slow race is still better than no race. Maybe next time drop your watch off if you are looking at it too much...then it can't add to any frustration you already have.  Maybe your doc could help with your race time breathing problems...maybe a stronger inhaler? 

Take what you can from it, and go back next year to kick it's butt.  You are doing great girl!

Sarah

2005-07-14 9:59 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
It may have been a tough day for you, but think of all the people that would love to have your times!
Congrats on sticking it out and finishing strong!
2005-07-15 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
thanks for all the kind words, guys!

i know, i know...i finished. but we always want to improve upon what we did previously, especially when you've done the race before. but we have to remember that weather conditions are another factor.

-sharon

2005-07-21 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Hey thanks for the race report. I too, had a tremendously shitty swim. All my male friends who I blow away swimming in the pool, swam like 22 minutes. I should have swum it in less than 20 as well!! It was horrible, I ran into lane ropes on BOTH SIDES of the lane several times. I did 27 minutes. Incidently I can swim that fast in a pool, and everyone else was shaving 10 minutes off their pool times. So my point is, don't think you were the only one who struggled wiht that swim! I also personally think the current changed for the men, because a guy I know who seriously can barely swim 1500 meters in 40 minutes swam it in 22. UGH! UGH!
AND I fell flat on my face in transition, with all the bubbling of the fake carpet! LOL!
But I had a blast on the ride and run and plan on doing it again next year. I'll try to do my race report and post it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYC Triathlon Rss Feed