General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Highs and Lows of Each Discipline Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-15 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: Highs and Lows of Each Discipline
This triathlon training and competing can be addictive and frustrating at the same time. Please allow me to share some of my recent experiences in each discipline. But first, some background. This is the 12th week of my life as a triathlete. I had never swam for fitness prior to 28-Jan. I had a mountain bike, but recently purchased a second-hand road bike. I have been a runner all my life.

Swim - I go through alternating phases of optimism and fatalism in this sport. 12 weeks ago, I could not even really do 50 meters. This morning, I did 250 meters without stopping. Tuesday, I did 8X100 with small breaks between sets. So I think I am getting somewhere, but then I think that I am going to try to do an Olympic in July and a Half-Ironman in September, and I have only made it 1/6th of the way through the swim of the Oly! How am I ever going to make it?!? So I have been trying to become a TI swimmer - and I have seen my strokes per length go from 26 to a best of 13. That's good, right? In my 250 this morning, my worst length was 21. But the problem is that I swim too fast. You read that right. My slowest speed to keep kinda horizontal still makes me tired to quickly. The guy next to me swims lap after lap after lap at 26 or so strokes. I am faster than him when I swim, even on the last 100 of my 8X100, but he just keeps on going. I know that I am on a mountain and I know that I am climbing, but I still don't feel like I can see the summit. But determination will keep me going.

Bike - I suck at hills. I suck in the wind. I am faster now on my road bike than I was on my mountain bike, I think, but I still do some rides in the low 17's (MPH). I rode with my brother-in-law in Texarkana last weekend, and was dropped like a rotten stinky sock after 5 miles of a 20 mile ride. Some weeks I don't get to ride as much as I would like on account of family obligations. However, I have just got a new handlebar and aerobars, and the last ride I was pretty comfortable in the aero position, so I am thinking that the speed will come. Yet, I still think that I need to convince my legs that they can pedal harder than they are right now.

Run - Now we are talking. Just beginning this section makes me feel less stress than a moment ago. I did an easy run yesterday - 6 miles at 7:30 pace. It was at Memorial Park in Houston, where the entire city was out to exercise, or so it seemed. I was the fastest dude going counterclockwise - nobody passed me. Before I dove into triathlon training, I did a 60 minute run to try to validate my desire, and it was at 8:15 pace for a little over 7 miles. And this run yesterday was with a slightly tired body. I feel like very soon I will be able to do a 5K in less than 20 minutes. I think that with enough time, I could do the entire half-marathon at the end of the triathlon at 7:30 pace. Running is so easy and almost never disappoints. It is my favorite discipline, yet it is the one at which I need to least work, but I find myself running more than biking way too often. But the best thing about this sport is that the run is last.

Whew.

2004-04-16 12:04 PM
in reply to: #18559

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Highs and Lows of Each Discipline
i can totally relate...running is the fav and most frequently done...especially the feeling after a long run and a hotter than hades shower...a good exhuastion. biking?  well take it or leave it...i am getting to like it more though...just seems like i aint doing anything BUT i have just gotten into the 95-100 cadence range and its becoming a good workout now.  Swimming used to be horrible but if u hold in their with your determination phil, your gonna start getting that 'runners high' from it...happend to me after months of excrutiating struggling.  BUT THE KICKER is to follow the swim up with an immediate hot tub/whirlpool and and a cranberry vodka and DAMN...u will be feeling awesome..and its soooo worth it.
2004-04-16 1:10 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
My feelings on each discipline:

Swim - I'm a fish. Been swimming from before I could walk. I'm totally comfortable in the water. I scuba dive, so I'm very comfortable in open water as well ( that and spent every summer swimming in a lake in WI ). I love to swim. I hadn't done much very long distances regularly, but my form is pretty refined from all the swimming so my base is building good there. I especially like swim nights, as after the swim it's into the hot tub for a good long soak. No cranberry/vodka as it's in the gym, but the soak alone is good enough.

Bike - I've been mountain biking for long enough that I remember when Rock Shox were new. I've ridden road bikes before, but never have plunked down for one myself. I'm going to this summer I think, but for now will be doing my sprints on the mountain bike. There is an MB class for one of the tri's I'm doing, so that should level the field a bit. Bike is very solid. Even before training for Tri, I did long ( 2 hour+ ) rides on the weekend, as I love getting outside and just going. This is my favorite discipline.

Run - This is where I have some issues. I've never been a long distance runner ( except for a bit during ROTC when I got pretty good ). Well, let me change that, I've never been a *fast* long distance runner. I've got endurance and a good mental Never Say Die attitude so I finish what I start, but I'm currently at about a 10+ min/mile for distances over 2 miles. It's not bad I know, but I don't feel as good at that as I do on swim and bike. I think as I lose the last 10 lbs or so to get back down to my peak fitness weight I should see that improve. I don't really hate running, I just don't look forward to it as much as swim or bike. I definitely feel accomplished afterwards though.

-Chris
2004-04-16 1:30 PM

New York
Now I think I finally have the right motivation. Vodka and Cranberry AFTER the swim. Not before? hmmmmmmm

Swim - I have no problems here. I love to swim. The distance is no biggie. I can kinda just keep going. Nothing in blazing speed but my 800's have been at about 16 minutes. i am fine with that.

Bike - feel pretty good here. comfortable. I haven't gotten the slicks on the mountain bike yet. But now that the weather has finally turned, i will get them on and get the bike on the road.

Run - my personal nightmare. I hate running. I always have and I think I always will. It is just no fun for me. But.. I have improved. when I began tri training is was logging 13min miles and struggling. I am at about 10.5 - 11 min miles now for 3 miles. it hurts and i have to walk for 1 minute at about the 2 mile mark but i finish.

I cant wait for my first tri in June and the feeling of finishing that bad boy with the run. I am gonna just float over the finish.....

Steve
2004-04-16 9:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Good thread topic, Phil. I came to tris from running. I don't run very far or very fast, but I luuurve me some running highs. I have been training very hard in the pool and on the bike. I found that I love to swim. Very relaxing. The bike? Sucks. Perhaps I'll change my mind when I replace my mountain bike with my new road bike tomorrow, but I am trying really, really hard to find my inner bike love. In Athens, when we started the bike leg in a headwind, I promised myself at mile ONE that I would stop halfway and drink some water. That bike leg wasn't any fun at all. And for some curious reason, I like running less and less. What in the world is up with that?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Highs and Lows of Each Discipline Rss Feed