General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for my second IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-21 12:48 PM

Subject: Training for my second IM
I've just done my first IM in Austria (in 12.38.30) 3 weeks ago, and slowly started training again this week. I will do another IM next year in August, but i'm not sure how to train for it. Last year i started from scratch, and followed a 30 weeks training program, which was just fine for me.

But now i'm in a lot better shape, so what to do now ? Of course i would try to go faster, and i don't wanna wait until 30 weeks before start training. Can i already start training now, or how do you do between IM's ? I would be nice if someone got some kind of overall training program for a full year ?

Hope someone can help me

Regards
Nicolai 

2010-07-21 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2995085

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Training for my second IM
I read an article stating that you are basically a different person when you start the same program in better shape. So you get more out of the same program, even if you use it twice in a row.

Agreed on needing a 52-week plan!!!

I used a Winter Maintenance plan that was fairly aggressive, then moved into a 26-week IM plan.  But I'm just going for my first IM. I hear what you are saying, though.
2010-07-22 9:48 AM

Well one thing to consider is are you going to race any more this season?  My best races were
sprint and oly distance races after the ironman.  You had so much base that you could really push it and the distance was short enough that it was really fun.

I took time off between the 2 seasons and really didn't do specific ironman training until about 30 weeks out.  Not to say I didn't work out, just focused on some other things.  The off season is a great time to start a weight program.  Lifting could set you up for bigger gains when you begin your focused ironman training.  I remember that Triathlete magazine had a series on training for the ironman done by Paula Newby-Fraser and she recommended a lot of time in the weight room to prepare your muscular-skeletal system for the demands of ironman training.

In the end, a 52 week ironman program might be hard to plan.  It is a lot of volume to maintain over that period of time.  You might focus on weights for a few months, or maybe swimming to get technique down.  I guess I would say to use the time to make some big gains on your weak areas.  And don't forget to take a month off, you deserve it.  It will leave you fresher and ready to make big gains next season.

Hope this helps,

Mike
2010-07-22 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Well, I'm not sure I'd embark on speed-focused training just 3 weeks out from an IM, but I guess that depends on how you are recovering.  I've been on a similar plan. I did my first IM in late August, and then starting in January or so I started focusing on getting faster.  I did that for several months, and now I'm in the process of shifting to holding that speed for longer distances, for another IM this November.
2010-07-23 1:58 AM

I did an olympic in Hamburg two weeks after IM, and felt great. Didn't train much between the two competitions, but i was 32 minutes faster than last year on same course

I will go for some local sprints here in Denmark this year, but nothing big, and nothing very important.

So it's pretty much the IM that got all the attention this year (second year of triathlon). I will consider doing some weight lifting, but it would be great to maintain my base over the winther! 
2010-07-23 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
I haven't done an IM so take this for what it is worth...I am planning on doing IM Madison next year and to build a base I am  using a HIM program this summer. My plan is to repeat the program over the winter (after a short break) and then move into a full IM program next year. So I guess what I'm suggesting is to use a HIM program as your winter maintenance program. Just a thought...

2010-07-23 9:19 AM

I've also had the idea of repeating plans in my head. I just don't need the "peak" training, so maybe a HIM program is a good idea. If i can find a long program, i can maybe do the first 2/3 and then repeat it. It just has to be a longer program, so it dosn't get boring to fast

I have also thought about doing something else than swim, bike and run in the winther (so i don't need to sit on a hometrainer 4-5 months in a row)

What do you do of alternative training in the winther? (other than building muscles in the gym
2010-07-23 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
I use the elliptical and rowing machine as a change of pace. I think the elliptical helps with the bike/run and the rowing uses swim muscles. Cross country skiing would be another way to get outdoors and build endurance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for my second IM Rss Feed