General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri in 11 weeks should I WEIGHT? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-22 12:05 AM

User image

Philadelphia
Subject: Tri in 11 weeks should I WEIGHT?
Hello my fellow Clydes and Athenas,

This is a question that may have been posted before and maybe I'm missing it but here goes:

I am a former football player (wide receiver) and I worked out a lot. Then one night I was watching a triathlon on TV and said "Walter this is something you need to do." So I started training. I have have lost about 10 lbs (237 to 227) and I am training for my first sprint coming up in Oct. Here is my question: I really believe in strength training b/c of my football history so I do a what is known as a High Intensity Training workout MWF with 10miles on the bike and 30 min run and swimming for 30 min on T,Th,Sun, should I lighten up on lifting or do you all think that I am on the right track? Should eliminate weights all together and focus on just the SBR? Or keep the weights incorporated as i do now? Again I apologize if this or a similar post has been addressed already.

2010-07-22 4:02 AM
in reply to: #2996431

Veteran
Townsville, Australia
Subject: RE: Tri in 11 weeks should I WEIGHT?
to keep it simple.. I think all exercise is good.. it can do no harm.

I have stopped doing a heavy leg day because of the amount of running and cycling I now do.. I use to smash my legs up so bad I could hardly walk down stairs two days later. 
2010-07-22 5:59 AM
in reply to: #2996515

User image

Pro
Without house
serenityau - 2010-07-22 4:02 AM to keep it simple.. I think all exercise is good.. it can do no harm.

I have stopped doing a heavy leg day because of the amount of running and cycling I now do.. I use to smash my legs up so bad I could hardly walk down stairs two days later. 

I disagree.  Not that one form of exercise is bad vs another, but that it can do no harm.  Anything can do harm if done to extremes...and overtraining doesn't do anyone any good.

That being said, there are a number of people who strength train along w/ SBR.  In fact, we have a whole forum here that you might find useful (and might actually find more answers to your questions-check the main forum page, it's a couple down from the clyde/athena forum.)  By all means, continue lifting.  I might decrease legs because of all you do with them as serenityau states above.  Do some core work...it will make your whole body happy (and help decrease injury.)  The main point is to listen to your body.  You know it's limits the best...you're with it 24/7.
2010-08-03 12:07 AM

User image

New user
San Diego
I made the mistake when I was training for my first sprint tri of stopping with the weights for a few weeks.  It really hurt my bike times I think.  For the next one I have coming up I have decided to do 1 hour 2x a week of a full body kettle bell workout.

2010-08-03 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I have found that weight training always helps me, as long as I don't mash heavy leg presses and gain too much muscle in the arse.  If I weight train 2-3x/week I start to gain weight pretty quickly.  It's tough to find that optimum balance of strength vs. weight, and for every athlete it's different.

One of my friends at work played football in college and looks like a bowling ball (about 6'1", 230), but he did a sprint tri pretty well last summer.

I would experiment and see what results you come up with.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri in 11 weeks should I WEIGHT? Rss Feed