General Discussion Triathlon Talk » going to give it a rest until Im under 100 kegs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-03 3:45 AM

Veteran
Townsville, Australia
Subject: going to give it a rest until Im under 100 kegs
Have been training for a while now.. done two sprints.. DNF and DFL (In that order)

Ive been starting to get my act together running, being able to do 5k+ at around 8 min per km and generally feeling pretty good.. until now.. did a 4k run last thursday and my lower back was a little sore.. but nothing too bad.. by Friday night I was getting real sore.

Now after spending the last 4 days pretty much on my back or side from really bad lower back pain.. cannot bend over or sit for any more than 5 minutes without doubling over in pain. I am going to blame running.. and my weight.. I am 139kg.. very very heavy.. I think I have to wake up and smell the coffee.. concentrate on losing it and low impact swimming and cycling.

basically I am not going to attempt to run or race until I am under 100kg

sorry for the downer thread.. I just wanted to write it down somewhere. 

2010-08-03 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3020109

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: going to give it a rest until Im under 100 kegs
After converting your numbers to lbs, I agree that running at that weight is probably counter-productive.  I blew out both my knees is less than a year trying to run at that weight.  But your "start back running" weight is too low IMO.  I ran 5 marathon, completed two IM and done many sprints and Olys in the 240 - 260 lbs (109 -118 kg) range over the last 12 years.

Keep swimming and biking and working on your weight and you'll be back out on the road in no time at all.

~Mike
2010-08-03 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3020137

Veteran
Townsville, Australia
thanks Mike, you are probably right.. If I lost 30kg I would probably revise that weight limit. 
2010-08-03 10:44 AM

User image

hi serenityau
 dont get too down and dont worry about getting below 100 kgs before running ,I got down to 112kgs before doing the couch to 5k, now at 107kgs i can run 5k in sub 30mins, lots of walk jog build up and lots of stretching and dont lose heart youve already made the hardest descision to change your lifestyle
AL

2010-08-03 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
PA
serenityau - 2010-08-03 4:45 AM Have been training for a while now.. done two sprints.. DNF and DFL (In that order)

Ive been starting to get my act together running, being able to do 5k+ at around 8 min per km and generally feeling pretty good.. until now.. did a 4k run last thursday and my lower back was a little sore.. but nothing too bad.. by Friday night I was getting real sore.

Now after spending the last 4 days pretty much on my back or side from really bad lower back pain.. cannot bend over or sit for any more than 5 minutes without doubling over in pain. I am going to blame running.. and my weight.. I am 139kg.. very very heavy.. I think I have to wake up and smell the coffee.. concentrate on losing it and low impact swimming and cycling.

basically I am not going to attempt to run or race until I am under 100kg

sorry for the downer thread.. I just wanted to write it down somewhere. 

Nothing wrong with being smart and thinking long term man.  I think you are doing the right thing by focusing on the weight first.  I broke my right femur in a car accident and long story short, I have a steel rod in my right leg with the top of it broken off inside my hip.  Prior to doing any serious exercise, I also lost some weight.  It was the best approach.

You will have a big advantage over the route I took.  I simply used a recumbent exercise bike as my exercise plan.  I wish I had also used swimming and a real bike outdoors. 

Best of luck but know that you are still tri training and we are right there with you. 
2010-08-03 11:30 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Have you considered any strength training with a focus on core strengthening? Think adding that will have a twofold result, added strength focusing on you weakness(back) and helping with weight loss.

2010-08-03 1:22 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Don't be down on yourself. YOu are still working towards a goal, it's just more of a weight loss one than tri's for now.
I"m not sure how tall you are so I'm not sure how good 100kgs is as a goal.  at my height I can do many things at that weight, but I'd rather be lighter also ..

all the best
2010-08-03 9:28 PM

Veteran
Townsville, Australia
thanks everyone for the words, much appreciated.

a lot of people have been telling me to work on my core.. I was thinking my core was becoming very strong.. when I poke my stomach I can really feel hardness that has never been there before.

I am 6'.. so my weight puts me into the morbidly obese range.. that is always good.. haha. But I believe I have a higher percentage of muscle.. I was a serious gym jockey for a few years before getting into this, and have been able to maintain good muscle mass. Like I fit into XXL 2XU tri gear comfortable.. my chest measurement is larger than my waist.. dont really have a big gut or anything..

my swim time for 750m is around 18 minutes.. I can swim easily for a mile non stop at this speed. I can regularly do 20mph average speed for 20/40 km rides in aero position.. I just need to lose some body mass.. it has to go.

ok, Im rambling now.. lol

Im not really down on this.. I think I just need to readjust goals.. not down and out, just back to the drawing board.
2010-08-04 12:52 AM
in reply to: #3022102

User image

Pro
Without house
serenityau - 2010-08-03 9:28 PM thanks everyone for the words, much appreciated.

a lot of people have been telling me to work on my core.. I was thinking my core was becoming very strong.. when I poke my stomach I can really feel hardness that has never been there before.

While your abs may indeed be firmer and stronger, there is more to your core than just your abs.  Hip flexors, hamstrings & quads (to an accessory extent), transverse abdominus (wraps all the way around), lower back muscles, etc and so forth.  All of THAT makes up your core.  When you have really worked to strengthen all of those, you will see improvements and extra support to help prevent lower back issues (says the girl with 3 bulging discs...)

Somewhere here on BT is a group of core exercises called "Around the World" (I think I have a link to them in my log.  Check them out.

And take care of that back!
2010-08-04 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
I wouldn't give up racing. I've dropped 100-plus pounds over the years and I used to say, "I'm not going to do this or that until I weigh this much." Then I thought that I just need to live in the now and start doing those things.

My two cents: Keep doing triathlon training, just s-------l-------o-------w down. Walk for 6.5 minutes, then jog slowly for 30 seconds. Slowly increase the amount you jog while decreasing the amount you walk every week or so. But you could still do the 5K distance, just slower. Best wishes!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » going to give it a rest until Im under 100 kegs Rss Feed