General Discussion Race Reports! » 9th Annual Greater Lowell Family YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

9th Annual Greater Lowell Family YMCA Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Lowell, MA
United States
Lowell YMCA
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 43/67
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Ate my traditional pre-race meal - brown cinnamon pop-tarts! hmm hmm good :-) Cranked the tunes and sang very loudly in my car on the way to the race! In my head, I went over how the race was going to go down. My goal was to finish strong in each leg and to have quick transitions. My primary goal, however, was to beat my "nemesis" Russell. I was already 0 - 2 going into this race and I really didn't want to mimic the Sox in last year's ALCS and go down three in the hole! The funny thing is that Russell keeps beating me and he can not swim. That's what you call a lesson in humility!
Event warmup:

Stretched using dynamic stretching. Swam about 50m in the beautiful yet mysterious Merrimack River. I write mysterious as if you do swim in that river and something nibbles at your leg, you will not be able to know what it (the water is too murky)so just keep swimming! DO NOT STOP! NEVER EVER STOP :-)
Swim
  • 15m 19s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

OK - I finished 52nd out of 67 competitors. I should feel badly about my perfomance but it really was a decent effort on my part. I do need to go back to the pool and do some speed work; my times do not reflect my potential but considering the amount of training and experience and fitness level, this was a decent race for me. I had one crazy "military" swimmmer in front of me, i.e. she swam to the left and cut me off, she then swam to the right and cut me off (military = "left, right, left, etc"). Finally, after the bouy, I was able to pass her but only after she wacked me for the last couple of times. I pushed the last 100 - 150 yards. With work, I will push earlier on...
What would you do differently?:

What do you do when another swimmer is constantly interfering with you? Are "three stooges" tactics against the rules? For instance, grab their goggles and let the elastic band pull the goggles against their head "smack!" Or maybe lift the goggles and poke them in the eyes "knuck knuck knuck"...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Decent first transition, My DeSoto vest rocks! It is as easy as a shirt to put on and off and adds bouyancy.

Hey stupid - STOP DAYDREAMING - FOCUS!!!!!!
Bike
  • 43m 12s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

It is ironic that I have only been on a road bike maybe a dozen times in my life and this is now my strongest (and I am using that word in a relative sense) event! Like the swim, I feel like I need to push myself more in this event. My RPE was 6 or 7 - I had too much left by the time I crossed the matt. Still, considering my level and where I am at, this was a decent showing for me.

Push, push, push. Oh yeah, train with consistancy prior to the event.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Strong transition. Went sockless and that def helped
Run
  • 37m 57s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran using my Tangents - light and comfortable. I saw my "nemesis" as I was coming home around mile 2.75 (he was on mile 1.25). I smelled victory at that point! It's all about the bragging rights...

I really think that the only way I will improve my times is to pay my dues, i.e. train properly and do not expect instant results.John Bingham, in a recent Runner's World article, wrote about the "gremlins" that haunt us. He wrote about how these self loathing self-made creatures can impede progress and destroy the small meaningful victories that we "normal mortals" can achieve (my liberal paraphrasing!) - I will not yield to these gremlins!
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of fruit, yogurt, and fluid (including water and sports fluids)... no beer

What limited your ability to perform faster:

age, inexperience, and weight

Event comments:

Until the next race, I have bragging rights within my multisport group of age-grouper friends. I was able to get in three workouts before I had to go home and work around the house for the rest of the day. The Lowell Y puts on a great race! I am looking forward to this race next year and am also looking forward to the Greater Lowell Y's duathlon later this season.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:19 | 600 yards | 02m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 52/67
Performance: Good
RPE = 6.
Suit: DeSoto Bib
Course: Point-to-point course that paralled the shore. First half was against the current.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:12 | 12.6 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Overall: 31/67
Wind: Little
Course: Loop course that was 70% flat with one section with rolling hills. This was a fun course!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:57 | 04 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 49/67
Course: Flat, flat, flat run down the blvd. Loop course that was very fast (again, fast is a relative term!)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-17 4:47 PM

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: 9th Annual Greater Lowell Family YMCA Triathlon

2005-07-17 6:02 PM
in reply to: #200375

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Lowell Dual Triathlons

Nice Race!!

Great way to beat  your nemisis Russell, but most importantly you did well for you!

The swim sounds challenging in river with no visibility. Great job on the bike...think how you'll do with more time in the saddle...your run time is great.

Congrats!!

2005-07-18 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Subject: RE: 9th Annual Greater Lowell Family YMCA Triathlon

Great race!  You get extra points for swimming in the Merrimack (mysterious is too kind a word)! 

2005-07-18 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

Go, Kurt!  Do I forsee swim speed work in our future weekly trainings?  And maybe swim to bike?  Way to go beating Russell!  (Hopefully, he's not to beat up about it!!??)  I like the group's healthy competition. 

See you soon!

Katherine Sandoz

2005-07-20 8:09 AM
in reply to: #200851

User image

New Hampshire
Hey Katherine,

Thanks for the posting. Russell is fine. As a matter of fact, he won third place in his age group - ITS ALL GOOD :-)

And yes - speed work is in the future...
2005-07-20 8:17 AM
in reply to: #200422

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Lowell Dual Triathlons
Thanks KathyG!

Hey - what is the July challenge listed within your signature?

Kurt

Edited by kstuke 2005-07-20 8:19 AM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 9th Annual Greater Lowell Family YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed