YMCA Lowell
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 09m 54s
Overall Rank = 50/58
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 to go help set up. Grabbed an Ice Coffee and a bacon,egg and cheese on crosaunt sandwhich at DD. Helped set up for about 2 hours then gas bagged with trifury members for about 45 min.
Event warmup:

Light streaching and swim just before my wave. Lots of work setting up.
Swim
  • 34m 48s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started the swim by accident smack dab in the middle and in frount. There was a 3 count for the start and I had wadded out to the front. Got swum over by tons of people. Had to breath every stroke on left side for the first 300. Then things spread out and I relaxed. Drafted when I could, but the guy I keep drafting kept drifting. That and I kept getting too close.
What would you do differently?:

As with the rest of my race report, I will have to work on bricks and speed drills. I swam as well as expected considering I have never swum like spawning salmon before.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I have no clue, completely forgot to start stopwatch at the swim and started it in the middle of the T1.

consider practicing the drill a few times just to get a rythem down.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 13s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

First lap was quick, used the areo bars for about 5 miles of it. Played tag with a team mate on the hills for about 6 miles, would get passed on the climb and pass on the down hills.

Had a problem at about mile 1.5 on my second lap. Had to lock the breaks to avoid a collision with a car. The damn police officer (and by nature I like them, since I go out to dinner with a bunch of them) was gas bagging with an official while directing traffic. Fortunatly, I was watching what he was doing more than him. I saw his back to me as he was waving traffic through the entersection. I stayed at race pace hopping he caught a glimps of me or the cars were running out. No luck. I had to lock the breaks and almost went down so I did not broadside a car. Would have made for a very crappy day. All he could say was sorry sir. Hopefully he woke up after that. After all I was one of the last ridders on the course at that point.

Also had a problem on lap 2 by the church with the nasty corner. Mass was getting out and a mom and her 2 children were trying to cross. They were only looking at the cars. Had to yell "comming through" to get there attention.

Must work on areo postion and hill climbing skills. Also need to get some more long distance rides in.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

still suffered getting the sox on. Even wore anlkle sox which helped over full length sox.

catch my breath going into transition by slowing down just a little earlier, so I would not be quite so disorganized
Run
  • 1h 09m 55s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

very flat and fast. Felt prety good comming off the bike. Felt my legs slowing down as the race progressed. I am not sure due to fogetting to reset my splits, but I know the first 2 miles were around 10 minute miles. I was hopping for faster, but no brick training and not pushing past 7 mile runs this spring will do that.

Work on some speed drills, but more importantly follow Glens suggestion of longer runs.
Post race
Warm down:

close to colapsed at the end of the run. Hobbled over to the food tent and went nuts. I have never craved oranges so much in my life! Would have liked to get some more food in me before I left the tent for the first time, but Trifury wanted a team photo. Since I was the last in they had been waiting for me. :) They wanted the tall people in back and short in front. I just sat down and said fill in around me. Did not get up for a good 10 minutes. All I asked of myself was not to DNF and to leave nothing on the course. I did that in spades

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first Oly and I would have liked to finish further ahead in may age bracket let alone over all. I have learned alot and next season will be an Oly speed year. At first I was dissapointed to have finished so far back in my age group. When I realized the race winner was in my group and 3 of the 9 were in the top 7 overall, I did not feel so bad.

Event comments:

Since this is a major team event (over 20 racers between the two events with a total of about 120 people) it was like old home week. The post race activities were mostly talking to team mates and meeting racers I had dualed with at different points. The best part was the awards waited until all but the last runner was off the course to start the oly awards. They wanted to wait for the last runner, but he finished almost 30 minutes later than the second to last runner. The awards did stop to let everyone applaud his efforts. The highlight of the day was the girl who crossed the finish line second to last getting an award for 1st place in the team relay female. Helps when only one team signs up. Very fun and friendly event.

Last updated: 2005-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:48 | 1500 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 40/58
Performance: Good
Suit: QR
Course: out and back. Swam to the middle of the river first then back along the banks. A little backwards to me if you ask my oppinion
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:13 | 25.5 miles | 17.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 46/58
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was shortened on Sat. due to construction by about 4 miles. This took the biggest hill out of the race. My race pace was right where I thought it would be.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:09:55 | 06.2 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 53/58
Performance: Below average
Course: very flat and fast. With the exception of 2 miles in the middle there was more than enough room for runners and cars on the course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0.5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-17 5:26 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: YMCA Lowell Dual triathlons

2005-07-17 5:58 PM
in reply to: #200396

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: YMCA Lowell Dual triathlons

Great Race!!

Sounds like you learned a lot...Oly's are tough...and you were fast on the swim and bike...sounds like a very competitive age group. It is neat you knew so many people from your team...great fun for doing a Tri!  I was going to do an Oly relay this weekend here in MA with Firm...should consider doing this race instead with less competition for all women team.

Thanks for sharing your rr...super job!!

2005-07-17 6:06 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race and great first time oly effort.  Hope you ahd fun -SMO
2005-07-17 7:05 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Hey Joe, congrats on finishing your first Oly!  Got lost on my way to the finish area, and I was there past 11 (was last to begin with).  All I saw was people standing here and there.  Didn't see you and thought you might have left as you say your wife has to work this afternoon.  Glad you had a good time.  Have plenty of rest!

2005-07-17 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job!  You have to feel good about it.  Thanks for writing such a great report!
2005-07-17 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Great race Joe!!   You conquered the Oly!! That's a great accomplishment!!

2005-07-19 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Like everyone else said..good job! I think the crowd gets a lot more serious at the longer events, eh?
2005-07-20 8:36 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
GREAT job, Joe!  I will attribute it to the most outsanding breakfast choice of Dunkin Donuts...it's the stuff of champions!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YMCA Lowell Dual triathlons Rss Feed