General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee problems and solutions...really a question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-07 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
Subject: Knee problems and solutions...really a question...
Question (and background): Many thoughts on knee pain from running. Orthotics or less on the feet? I was set up for orthotics to help with the knee pain I've been experiencing that has also limited my running the past couple months. It's been 2 months and they are still not in (company and computer error after error, scanning machine problems- I'm supposed to get a call this week about going in for a rescan on a new machine). During this time I've been reading more and more about running with less on our feet to help promote a more natural running style.  I've heard Nike Free's are a good start.  A friend had a similar issue and went with the orthotics and ended up with more problems.  He now swears by Vibram Five Fingers.  Is this destiny? Should I go for vibram five fingers and some barefoot running? VFF and barefoot running promote a more natural running. Orthotics cushion my bad form...what do you think?

On a completely different note, I started reading Born To Run (McDougall) and it's really good!

Thanks for any input!!

Erik

2010-08-07 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3029066

Subject: RE: Knee problems and solutions...really a question...
^ I am wondering the exact same thing(s).
2010-08-07 8:51 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Totally depends on what your issues are (and what yoru orthotics are trying to correct).
2010-08-08 2:16 AM
in reply to: #3029617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
mmrocker13 - 2010-08-07 9:51 PM Totally depends on what your issues are (and what yoru orthotics are trying to correct).

I guess that info would help...it's for flat feet.  My chiro says that is what is causing the pain in my left knee.  It's the exact same pain that stopped me from running back in the early 90's (and sent me into just bike racing).  I started running again about 18 months ago and this past May was the first I had this problem since restarting.
2010-08-08 11:05 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
it truely depends on the individual! From my experience...I was in the same boat as you and went more minimalist. felt great but ended up with a st.fx of the metatarsal. According to my ortho foot dr...my biomechanics are my problem, not my training plan. so I think BF running is for some but not all. Check out the BF running forums on Runners World...they are a wealth of info.
The key to remember is that you have to go into it SLOWLY...I mean at a snails pace. Otherwise you can get hurt again. the move to more minimalist made my knees and hips happy, but unfortunately my foot got angry so we will see how it goes once I am totally healed!
BTW...I have high rigid arches and some other biomechanical issues with my feet.
good luck!
2010-08-10 6:45 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I would get some kind of biomechanical analysis if you arehaving trouble before going barefoot or minmalist.  A recent issue of runners world had a nice article about the different places you can have that done.  I actually know Irene Davis PT Phd Who did the analysis for the guy who wrote the article.  I've talked to her about the barefoot thing.  She thinks there is probably something to it but there is no science behind it yet.  If you are going ot try it start with short distances and back off if something starts to bother you in any way

2010-08-10 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
Thanks for all the replies!  I bought a pair of Saucony Kinvara today and can't wait to run in them later tonight!  I don't know if I'll ever be a barefoot runner, but I may try it for short distances occasionally to help with strengthening the foot muscles (cross-training my feet??).  I love the feel of the Kinvara's.  They are so light!  I've been reading a lot about running form and have found mistakes in my form and (over the past couple months) have noticed and working on changing my foot strike and keeping my knee over my toe (they would go inward just a slight amount, but enough to cause pain from the joint not being able to work correctly).  We'll see how they go!  Also, I'm running on trails/grass as much as possible.
2010-08-11 8:57 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Some people will say flat feet need more structure to bear weight...others will say you just need to strengthen what's there (i.e. less shoe). I can think of cases where each may be the appropriate choice.

Two things you should look into are your alignment and overall core strength, as well. If your alignment is off (and I mean biologically--not b/c of muscle imbalance), then you may have issues that need orthotic correction. Also, if your core (nips to knees) is weak, that can set off a whole host of issues.
2010-08-11 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
Thanks Mrocker- I'm working more on my core muscles again (started p90x just yesterday!) and have been working on my alignment with a chiropractor.  I did get running shoes that have less of a drop, but the drop in overall cushioning was not major.  The Kinvaras are the first step towards helping strengthening my feet, p90x for restrengthening my core (I was doing well, but stopped doing as much core work  a while back).
2010-08-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3036691

User image

San Diego
Erik,

Probably a good idea to have someone do a thorough evaluation to see what muscles are weak, tight or not firing properly, and then put that information together for you into a straight-forward rehab program.

While chiropractor care can help with some of the issues, you still need to address any biomechanical issues from a strength and conditioning standpoint. Usually with knee pain in triathletes and runners, that means weakness of the glutes, tight or overactive hamstrings and hip flexors and poor pelvic control.

P90X is ok for general conditioning, but won't teach you how to focus on proper muscle firing patterns for running and cycling - you'll need a good sports doc or sports PT for that.

-Doc John
San Diego, CA
http://triathlondoctor.com
2010-08-11 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3036861

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
P90X can make you LOOK good...but doesn't necessarily make you WORK good (sorry for the grammar). ;-)

2010-08-11 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
I was talking with my chiro today about it.  Her scanning machine was all in order and she did rescan my feet.  We talked for a while about sneakers, my flat feet and minimalist running.  She said all that is good for my feet and body but that without the supports my feet will still be flat, my adjustments won't hold long, my knees will turn in a bit, which will keep my pelvis and hips out of alignment also.  Then she put it in terms of peak performance and doing your best.  All the things I am doing for my body are great, but the deterioration will continue with my flat feet.  The supports will help improve my performance and allow me to perform later in life instead of having to succumb to the pain.  She's getting me some testimony form runners who have used the orthotics.  She said she's also going to ask them about how they run and minimalistic running as well to see if they are going that route with the orthotics as well.  She printed out some info for me on the orthotics and flat feet for me to read as well.  More for me to digest!  She also said that my feet will always be flat and that I may be running without pain now, but it will eventually come back.  Even more to think about for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee problems and solutions...really a question... Rss Feed