Gulf Coast Bicycle Club
90F / 32C
Precipitation
Total Time = 07m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

After RR went back to hotel, ate a Whataburger and tried to get online and write a race report. Internet connection wouldn't work so I turned on TV and climbed in bed to rest. I napped for about an hour. Back to the truck and back to the course. I wanted to do a practice ride on the course and was debating whether to use the TT bike or stick with the road bike. Stayed on the TT bike. The kid parked next to me, popped his tire, so I helped him change it.
Event warmup:

You had to ride from finish line to starting line before the race and I thought I had plenty of time. I rode the course, it was fast and easy riding it backwards but really tough riding it the correct direction. When I was riding the course I realized I was a little late and I hurried back to my car to get my jersey. I had to ride hard to get back to the start line and was kind of exhausted when I got there (stupid planning). I got back to the start line at 4:05, it was supposed to start at 4, but didn't go off till 5:30. Something about the race officials being stuck in traffic. At least I got to recover from my poor planning. I forgot to take off my saddle bag off, so I ended up leaving it in a race truck.
Bike
  • 07m 3s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 22.13 mile/hr
Comments:

After waiting in the baking sun, it clouded over about 5 minutes before the start. They have assistants who hold you up and push you off. It was cool starting clipped in. About 30 seconds after I started, the skies opened up and it rained really hard for 3 minutes. I had a little trouble with glasses but nothing serious. I pushed hard all the way. I had to shift into small chain ring 3 times and came out of the saddle a couple tims as well.
What would you do differently?:

Not have to rush to the starting line
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped and watched a few others come in. Then rode back to car for water and changed clothes. rode back up and watched another half hour of racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

a little rain and need more hillwork.

Event comments:

Delay sucked but it probably helped me because of my poor planning. Delay didn't suck, I got to meet many of my competitors and rehash the road race.

Stay tuned for the Crit report later on. Just a teaser, it has a crash!

Last updated: 2005-07-18 12:00 AM
Biking
00:07:03 | 02.6 miles | 22.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly course with same finish as road race at the top of the big hill.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Mad Potter Time Trial

2005-07-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: #200698

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Mad Potter Time Trial
Ken,

Awesome result. 2nd in the TT. Great speed. It sounds like you rode the course just right. Did you get to start down a ramp? The TTs around here start out of the back of a trailer, so you do get to go down a ramp.

Thanks for the teaser for the crit. I'm looking forward to reading it. Awesome results all weekend. Bike racing is exciting eh? And barely any rest between stages.

Congrats on the great result.

Jen
2005-07-18 3:42 PM
in reply to: #201147

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

Congratulations on your results.  You didn't say what they gave you.

2005-07-18 8:49 PM
in reply to: #201477

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
thanks for the congrats, I got a nice ceramic medal for 2nd in the time trial. My first ever. I didn't get a good picture at the race so I may have to stage one )

Ken
2005-07-19 6:44 AM
in reply to: #201147

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
jeng - 2005-07-18 11:19 AM

Ken,

Awesome result. 2nd in the TT. Great speed. It sounds like you rode the course just right. Did you get to start down a ramp? The TTs around here start out of the back of a trailer, so you do get to go down a ramp.

Thanks for the teaser for the crit. I'm looking forward to reading it. Awesome results all weekend. Bike racing is exciting eh? And barely any rest between stages.

Congrats on the great result.

Jen

No ramp, just a guy holding you up and he gives you a little push. I want a ramp!!

Ken
2005-07-19 8:28 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
wow are you fast fast FAST! awesome job.

2005-07-19 7:09 PM

New user

NYC
Fantastic race! Great job. TTing has got to be a blast.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mad Potter Time Trial Rss Feed