General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noob Bike Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-09 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Noob Bike Questions
Okay so a couple of NOOB questions for my bike:

1) What is the purpose of a compact crank and can any bike have one? I have a triple on there right now, and like it because I have a lot of hills by my house (my whole ride home from work is up hill). Would a compact help with this?

2)I bought some used aero bars off of ebay. When I tried to put them on, they just turned right over, and it looked like there was still some space inside the brackets to attach the bars to my bike.  Is there an adapter I need, or do I need to sell them to get new aero bars? How wide are they supposed to be? I have a set of inline brakes as well (I have a Fuji Newest 3.0 which has drops and the inline brakes too), do those need to be removed when I put on the aero bars? 

2010-08-09 11:54 PM
in reply to: #3033434

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: Noob Bike Questions

1)  A compact crank is a double crank typically with 50 and 34 tooth rings (where a standard road crank has 53/39).  It gives you somewhat easier gearing across the range without the weight and fiddliness of a triple.  You can put one on most any road bike, although if you're replacing a triple you might need to change your front derailleur and shifter.  But with a 34 tooth small ring you'll probably lose some lower end compared to the small inner ring on your triple, so you might not want to.

2)  My aero bars (Profile Design Jammer GT) came with plastic shims that fit inside the clamps, so they'd fit a larger diameter (31.8mm) bar without the shims but fit a 26mm bar diameter with them.  I suspect your aero bars came without the shims.  You might be able to buy just the shims, though--check with the manufacturer of your bars.  Another possibility to try would be to try to put the clamps over one or two wraps of handlebar tape. 

As for width, narrower is generally more aero but wider is usually more comfortable.  You'll need to play with them (or get a professional fit) to find the width that works for you--which might interfere with the inline brakes.  I'd try them inside and outside the brakes first to see if either position works.  On mine you can also adjust the elbow pads in or out a bit.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Noob Bike Questions Rss Feed