General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheaper helmets vs. Expensive helmets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-09 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Subject: Cheaper helmets vs. Expensive helmets
Since all helmets sold in the US must meet minimum safety requirements in order to be certified by ANSI, SNELL or what have you, would cheaper $50 helmets offer more protection than $150 helmets? My assumption is that the expensive helmets are designed for less weight (use less material) and increased ventilation (more vents and bigger vents). In effect, expensive helmets would be barely meeting safety requirements. In regards to fit, most $50 helmets use the same adjustable systems and size runs as the expensive helmets.

2010-08-09 11:01 PM
in reply to: #3033577

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: Cheaper helmets vs. Expensive helmets

From the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute website:

"Is a cheap helmet as good as an expensive one?

In past helmet articles, Consumer Reports has rated the most expensive helmets they tested below most of the cheaper models. We don't have lab test data on all the helmets out there. In the US, all of them are required by law to meet the same CPSC impact standard. If money buys you a better fit, with more stability on your head in a hard crash, then the more expensive helmet is worth it. If it just buys you a spiffy-looking, squared-off, poorly-rounded exterior with excessive vents, foam that is too hard trying make up for that, and points to snag, definitely not."

2010-08-09 11:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Helmet fit can also be brand specific. I know that my round head fits Bell helmets better than Giro helmets, which seem to fit square heads better. So in my case a $50 Bell will be better for me than a $200 Giro. Conversely a $50 Giro might fit someone better than a $200 Bell.
2010-08-09 11:38 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

I think you're probably on the right track on the level of protection offered.  It certainly makes sense. 

Because they do all meet the minimum standards, I suggest choosing a helmet based on fit and comfort over price.  I suffered a crash recently during which I landed head first and suffered a concussion, so I understand the importance of helmets.  However, that helmet will spend a LOT of time on my head, so I want it to be light and fit well.  If the best fit and more comfortable happens to be cheaper, then so be it. 

2010-08-10 5:32 AM
in reply to: #3033607

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
joker70 - 2010-08-10 12:29 AM Helmet fit can also be brand specific. I know that my round head fits Bell helmets better than Giro helmets, which seem to fit square heads better. So in my case a $50 Bell will be better for me than a $200 Giro. Conversely a $50 Giro might fit someone better than a $200 Bell.

I also have a big noggin and need bell helmets.. but I will say.. moving from the $50 helmet to the $90 helmet was a world of difference.  It's all in the padding, so the more expensive helmet is more comfortable.  The $50 helmet had a layer of felt in there, while this one actually has pads.  There is supposed to be weight differences too, but those are usually too minor to make a difference to me.
2010-08-10 5:56 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
joker70 - 2010-08-09 11:51 PM Since all helmets sold in the US must meet minimum safety requirements in order to be certified by ANSI, SNELL or what have you, would cheaper $50 helmets offer more protection than $150 helmets? My assumption is that the expensive helmets are designed for less weight (use less material) and increased ventilation (more vents and bigger vents). In effect, expensive helmets would be barely meeting safety requirements. In regards to fit, most $50 helmets use the same adjustable systems and size runs as the expensive helmets.

Given that they all meet the same standard of safety, I would look at it differently.  That is to say, it's not that the lighter helmet "barely meets" safety standards; rather the cheaper helmet is "barely ventilated".   To use an automotive example - if I drive a small cramped subcompact, and you drive a luxury car, we both get to where we are going at legal speeds.  But your ride will be a lot cushier than mine.

2010-08-10 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3033708

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
gearboy - 2010-08-10 4:56 AM
joker70 - 2010-08-09 11:51 PM Since all helmets sold in the US must meet minimum safety requirements in order to be certified by ANSI, SNELL or what have you, would cheaper $50 helmets offer more protection than $150 helmets? My assumption is that the expensive helmets are designed for less weight (use less material) and increased ventilation (more vents and bigger vents). In effect, expensive helmets would be barely meeting safety requirements. In regards to fit, most $50 helmets use the same adjustable systems and size runs as the expensive helmets.

Given that they all meet or exceed the same minimum standard of safety, I would look at it differently.  That is to say, it's not that the lighter helmet "barely meets" safety standards; rather the cheaper helmet is "barely ventilated".   To use an automotive example - if I drive a small cramped subcompact, and you drive a luxury car, we both get to where we are going at legal speeds.  But your ride will be a lot cushier than mine.

Some test better than others for impact, etc. I think it was Consumer Reports that tested a small number of helmets -- Bell makes a couple that tested in the top 3 or 4.  Bell fits me and I like the price; never had an issue with comfort, even when I wore it for over 10 hours one day. 
2010-08-10 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3033708

User image

Master
Central Indiana
gearboy - 2010-08-10 6:56 AM

Given that they all meet the same standard of safety, I would look at it differently.  That is to say, it's not that the lighter helmet "barely meets" safety standards; rather the cheaper helmet is "barely ventilated".   To use an automotive example - if I drive a small cramped subcompact, and you drive a luxury car, we both get to where we are going at legal speeds.  But your ride will be a lot cushier than mine.

Cannot agree with that analogy. 
Helmet fit should never be "cramped" regardless of price.  Price usu means slightly lighter weight, but does NOT directly correlate with better comfort or even ventilation.  My Trek Vapor (~$45) is just as well-ventilated & about as comfortable as my fav Bell Sweep ($140).  I would not trade either for Giro Ionos ($200+), which does not fit me as well as nor provide as much coverage for the back of the head. 
Shop the helmet, NOT the price tag.
2010-08-10 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Pa
I thought it was based on if they:
a)Look wicked awesome
b)Come in flat black
c)Have carbon fiber weave in them somewhere

You guys are saying we are supposed to be wearing these things to protect ourselves? Sounds like something you just made up!

Seriously though, I chose mine based off of how cool it would keep my head (ie. vent pattern)

Go Catlike!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cheaper helmets vs. Expensive helmets Rss Feed