FIRM
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m 19s
Overall Rank = 180/271
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/36
Pre-race routine:

tried and true 'works for me' system. LOL...gettting to be a boring old guy here but this is working. oatmeal and cran juice on the road. Get to the venue in plenty of time, NO STRESS!!!! no butterflies, just....at ease and peace with it all.
Event warmup:

did a moderate amount of stretching, the usual amount for me. a little swimming to check the bottom conditions and water temp.
Swim
  • 25m 38s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.....almost the last out of the water. But ...thats me!! Swim a comfortable and easy swim. Just needed to do my pace and survive the swim. I did better than last year by a few minutes and was also way more comfortable in the water so that is an improvement.
What would you do differently?:

improve speed by doing it more and learning how to do it right.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Had my t-zone all set up nice so things went good. of course.....:) there werent many bikes left so mine was easy to find!!! :) suit got stuck at the ankles, got to work on that.

I didnt use the shoes/pedal trick this time either. The ground conditions werent conducitve for it this time either. Thinking that is something for sprints.

body glide might help. overall I am happy with the 't' time and feelings
Bike
  • 1h 09m 23s
  • 23.64 miles
  • 20.44 mile/hr
Comments:

'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, the times that tried men's souls' This is the best way to describe the bike. Thankfully this was a flat course because my left calf cramped up in the first mile. Tried everything to ease it up but it was singing the whole time. Found a certain movement of my leg wouldnt hurt too much so did that but this also put more stress on the other leg.
I really didnt think I was going to be able to finish. Had some negative thoughts which I have been so good at defeating.
However, on the flip side, my overall speed was good and the leg didnt get much worse. I was able to over come this so I guess it made me stronger.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Hopped the bike and the calf seized up. Hobbled to the racks and changed over, just figured I would walk if I had to.

speedlaces
Run
  • 57m 32s
  • 6 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

crossed the timing mat and then saw a rest room and had to have a quick visit. so this 'aaahhh' moment's cost was about a minute but it had a reason beyond the obvious. It gave me a reason to rest and walk for a minute which seemed to have a effect on the calf. But more importantly it delayed me for a n important minute or so which lined allowed me to link up with a very nice partner for the run.
The first 1/4 mile was easing up the calf which surprisd the hell out of me. Ended up running the entire distance with a nice lady. We chit chatted about family, triathlons, ourselves, etc so the time flew by. She and her husband have done a few marathons so that was cool to hear all about.
Just a real pleasant run. quite humid but not too hot. last year was wicked hot. Very happy with a sub 1 hr. 6 miles never mind off the bike.

nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

th sky began to shower.shook hands with my new friend. Seems odd now, and did then too...spending an hour going thru a 6 mi. run, should have given her a big hug. I like hugs. Just the.....damn...crap from this current life situation of mine and not being able to give 'sweaty hugs', having made to feel like crap to 'bond'w/ a friend,...ach cant do this.
I did thank her from my heart for all that she gave me.

ended up just finding a pleasant swale to lie down on and let the rain sprinkle on me. god, such a pleasing feeling to that. Just let it wash all over me. It stoned me to my soul.

This was a pleasantly challenging race. Made a new friend. AND best of all!! cut 25 minutes off of last years time!!!! :) :) never thought I would even come close to a 2:30 oly. now on to Cranberry country in a month and see what happens.

Event comments:

FIRM did better on this race. The roads had taken hell from the winters snows so they could have been better but that isnt FIRM's fault. There were plenty of volunteers cheering us on. Plenty of water stations. AND best of all!! the run miles were marked!!! yipee!!!!

Last updated: 2005-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:38 | 1760 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/36
Overall: 260/271
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: triangle lake course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:23 | 23.64 miles | 20.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/36
Overall: 134/271
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 4 loop course thru mostly flat course. All big chain ring stuff. Very pretty course thru cranberry bogs and rural life.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:32 | 06 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/36
Overall: 171/271
Performance: Good
Course: 1 loop reverse of the flat bike course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: old colony

2005-07-18 1:15 PM
in reply to: #200892

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Subject: RE: old colony

Another stellar race.

Running with a partner make all the more better, doesn't it?

Great job

2005-07-19 12:08 PM

Veteran
Alabama
Dang you are fast on the bike!! Way to go!!

Congrats!!

K
2005-07-19 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job..that must have been a really fast crowd with your swim speed.  Take care -SMO
2005-07-19 4:38 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Another great race Glennie!!  Glad you enjoyed yourself   The temperature sounds nice. I don't think it will be that for my next race...all we have are temps in the 90's!
2005-07-19 6:04 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Wow, nice race!!! All that hard work is paying off. Congrats on shaving all that time off last years race. Hope to see you at Cranberry. BTW, do you know if anyone else from BT will be racing? I am assuming Kristen will not be here. Trimom will be a very, very long shot, even to cheer. May might, but she has a 1/2 the weekend before and is not going to prereg.

Keep up the great work.

2005-07-20 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Glen,
    If you are worried about a 1:28/100 swim pace you are crazy, that is flying in my book.  Great race, I will see you at Cranberry!!

Adios
Dave

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » old colony Rss Feed