United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 49m 27s
Overall Rank = 484/983
Age Group = male 50-54
Age Group Rank = 17/38
Pre-race routine:

I was up at 4:00 am. Showered, small bowl of cereal, picked up a friend also in the race and we were at the base by 6:00. My gear was completely packed and organized the night before.
Event warmup:

Set up my transition area. I had 3 friends in the race so we talked and took some pictures. We walked down to the beach and thought the buoys looked awfully close and so assumed the swim would be a breeze (oops!). Somewhere along this time I ate a banana.
Swim
  • 16m 32s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm not much of a swimmer. But I did log a lot of pool time and got in 2 1/2 mile ocean swims in the 2 weeks before this event. Those swims were really important. I learned that for me I can't sprint through the surf and swim like a mad man to the first marker. I have to take it easy and control my breathing and then I can get into a nice rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know that I would do anything differently on the race. More swim training will help in the future I think.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Pretty long stretch from the water to my rack. I did run it sort of.

I squirted my feet and did a quick wipe with a towel, but there was surprisingly little sand on them.

I like to put my bike shoes on and I can run with them a little. Our rack was near the T1 exit anyway so it was easy to get out. I can clip my left and push off with my right and usually clip the right on the first try so that all went fine. I did swerve just a little and for a moment I thought someone behind me would hit me but thankfully no one was there (my friend did get a funny picture of that though). About a 1/4 mile uphill coming out of T1 but it was no problem. I was out of the ocean and I love the bike so I was happy.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 02m
  • 18.64 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

If I have a strong suit it's on the bike and I felt great had fun but somehow finished about 5 minutes slower than I thought I would. I really think it's because I'm so comfortable on the bike that I get out there and just ride like it's a Sunday ride for fun and I forget to race. Next time for sure.

I had one bottle of Cytomax but did not bring another bottle with water. I never really got overly thirsty, but I remember thinking that it was dumb not to have the water bottle as I would have taken a few sips of it if I had had it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

No problems. I can do a nice moving dismount. Our rack was close to the entrance. I have Yankz on my runners so this seemed to go OK.
Run
  • 26m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I got a nasty stitch in my side going up the hill after T2 so I had to scale it back a little right at the start.

I didn't wear a watch on the whole race and I think I will next time. I didn't really push the run and if I had known where I was on time I think I might have pushed it more and earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Just waited around for my friends and talked to people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I weigh about 200 and I am trying to get down to about 190. That might help.

Event comments:

I would definitely do this again. It's really well-organized and the difficulty level is suited to me.

Last updated: 2010-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:32 | 500 yards | 03m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/38
Overall: 523/983
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Volt Sleeveless
Course: I don't know if there's something about this beach or just that day's conditions, but the waves were breaking very far from the shore line. So, the buoys were pretty far out and you had to swim through a lot of breakers to get to the first marker. There was also a strong cross-current that forced you to start well south of the first marker so that the current could pull you toward it as you went out.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:00 | 18.64 miles | 18.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/38
Overall: 369/983
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: It's 9 miles or so inland and gradually uphill with a few small climbs along the way. It's through the base so there was some auto traffic but not much.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:53 | 03.11 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/38
Overall: 528/983
Performance: Average
Course: 1/4 or so mile up a pretty good grade, then flat and winding through the base, mostly facing the folks coming back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes