General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Terry Butterfly Saddle for Women? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-18 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: Terry Butterfly Saddle for Women?
I have an older road bike I hadn't ridden in about 10 years until about a week ago. The saddle is really hurting me. In fact, today at work it hurts just sitting here at my desk. Even though I'm trying to avoid buying too much equipment at this point, a decent saddle is going to be essential. I am thinking of investing in the Terry Butterfly Saddle:

http://www.rei.com/product/5977388.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CYCLING_TOC

Any comments/experiences with this?

2005-07-18 2:06 PM
in reply to: #201322

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Terry Butterfly Saddle for Women?

When I was shopping for a new saddle, I tried the Terry Butterfly.  I know a LOT of women who really love it, but for me it was a little bit too hard and narrow, i.e. it really HURT to ride it.

So, I tried this one (but had issues with numbness/pressure) but the cushion was good.  However, I also know people who swear by this one as well:

http://www.serfas.com/racing_saddles/TI-RC.html

And finally, ended up with this one:

http://www.serfas.com/racing_saddles/TRCW.html

which I love.  It's a lot like the Terry, but just a bit extra on the cushioning (and I think a bit wider through the sit bone area) - the Terry was a little narrow. This one is perfect for me.

Recommendation?  Try the Terry, but make sure you can return and try something else if it doesn't work out.  A saddle is a very individual thing.

Edited by cadreamer 2005-07-18 2:12 PM
2005-07-18 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
I too tried the Terry Butterfly saddle and returned it because it was painful. Right now, I had a Trek women's specific saddle that I quite like but its still not 100%
2005-07-19 8:59 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
My wife has two Butterflies, one regular and one Tri version. She loves them! Just a word of caution.. The CroMoAlloy rails are not nearly as comfortable as the Titanium version. Ti is known in the cycling world as a very plyable material, i.e. it will soak up vibrations.
2005-07-20 11:15 AM

New user

Northern California
I had the Terry Butterfly on my mountain bike before I even a had road bike. When I got into road riding I know there was no other saddle I even wanted to try, since I felt I had already ridden the best, needless to say I love it on both my bikes. And keep trying to talk my husband into trying out the mens version. Also, I think the key to saddles is the combo with a good pair of cycling shorts.

I did find one of my saddles on ebay for fairly cheap. But I do know that if you order directly from Terry they have a guarantee and will take back a saddle even after you have used it.
2005-07-20 12:52 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i have a butterfly tri on my road bike and love it. my all time favorite saddle though, is a serfas arc women's saddle. the arc ('arc curva') NOW is very different than the one i have. i had a serfas women's vado, and that one i didn't like so much. my husband swears by brooks, which are old school leather saddles made in england. i have one on my single speed and am still breaking it in. haven't done any long rides with it, but its pretty comfortable.

2005-07-22 2:43 PM
in reply to: #203170

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Thank you for all the suggestions. I went a bike shop yesterday and got the Serfas RX Saddle, after trying out the Terry and a couple of others on the trainer. Because I am a beginner, the (very nice) guy at the bike shop suggested I could start with a lower-priced gel comfort saddle until I "toughen up" a bit at which point I could try more of a racing-type saddle. So hopefully this will let me ride more comfortably. I also got re-fitted on the bike. This was my first real trip to a bike shop and I was impressed with how helpful they were to me as a (middle-aged) rank beginner. I walked out of a bike shop that's closer to my house because they had serious attitude and didn't seem interested in helping me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Terry Butterfly Saddle for Women? Rss Feed