View Member's Race Log
Clark Lake, Michigan
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 34s
Overall Rank = 192/382
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 26/40
Pre-race routine:

I woke up around 5:45 and had some coffee. Fromer showed up a little after six and we drove to Clark Lake. Racked the bike as soon as we got there in a good spot near the end of a rack and close to the bike exit. Laid out my towel, bike shoes, a Gu gel and a water bottle. Got to meet Jean and Dwayne, it was great to meet some fellow BT people.
Event warmup:

Rode a few miles to get the blood flowing. Upon my return I discovered that someone took my spot in the rack. Moved all of my things to the back corner of the transition area.
Swim
  • 13m 3s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went out way too fast. I basically sprinting and was winded after 200 yards. I think the adrenaline got the best of me. That said, damn I didn't think I could swim that fast over that distance. I'm not sure what to think about it. The speed was great but I think it hurt the rest of my race.
What would you do differently?:

Slow down and save something for the other two legs of the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

An unmitigated disaster. When I got to my bike I found someone had racked their bike across from mine and looped their brake cable over my aerobars. While trying to unwrap the mess I knocked over the bike next to me (which was not racked but help up by a kickstand, the ground was soft so it fell easily) which in turn knocked the (very nice) bike next to it. Knowing that I couldn't leave a very expensive Cervelo laying on the ground, I put my bike on the ground and reracked the ten speed across from me, propped up the mountain bike and reracked the Cervelo before leaving the transition area. At some point during all of this I put on my shoues and had a berry Gu gel which made me gag. All things considered, I accomplished a lot in two and a half minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Check transition area one last time before heading to the start.
Bike
  • 40m 36s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

When I finally got on the bike I was (a) still gasping from overexerting myself on the swim and (b) still irritated from my experience in the transition area. It took some time for my heart rate to calm down but I felt good after it did. I felt pretty strong on the flats. The uphill portions probably burned the legs a little more than they should have. I got to see a lot of very cool/expensive looking bikes wizz past me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

I recently switched from regular laces to EZ laces. Those things are pretty cool. Learn the whole riding with feet on top of shoes-jumping off moving bike thing.
Run
  • 39m 20s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch. My legs were spaghetti from the moment I stood up from putting my shoes on. I kept telling myself that feeling would go away and it did, about 50 yards from the finish. At one point, a lady passing me reached out and gave me a pat on the back for encouragement. Moments like that are one of the reasons I like triathlons, the people are always great.
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped back in the lake for about 15 minutes. 16 oz. Oberon and 1/2 basket of chicken wings.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming like a maniac and poor training habits in the weeks leading up to the race.

Event comments:

It's a good setting for a race, very scenic. Everyone is friendly. Plenty of post race food (although we had to go off site for the Oberon and chicken wings).

Last updated: 2004-11-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:03 | 880 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/40
Overall: 24/382
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle. Quite a few pontoon boats and kayaks surrounding the swim course. Nice to know someone is watching in case you get trampled.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:36 | 13 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 206/382
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Small rolling hills. The course was basically a rectangle that passes through the countryside. There was one particularly pungent farm. Road surfaces were good, although slightly damp due to the 98% humidity.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:20 | 04 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 283/382
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 7:42 PM

Regular
Adrian, MI
Subject: Clark Lake Lion's Triathlon

2005-07-18 8:09 PM
in reply to: #201689

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON
Subject: RE: Clark Lake Lion's Triathlon
Sounds like you had a great race, considering your "transition" issues It was great to meet you!
2005-07-18 8:14 PM

Sorry to hear the whole transition thing sucked for you with getting your bike spot taken. That would completely rattle me which is why I never take the bike out for a warm-up after racking it. Your T1 was good considering what you had to deal with, mine was not much better without the hitches. Great race anyway and a great swim. Wish I had that kind of time in me.
2005-07-19 5:18 AM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Went out way too fast. I basically sprinting and was winded after 200 yards. I think the adrenaline got the best of me. That said, damn I didn't think I could swim that fast over that distance. I'm not sure what to think about it. The speed was great but I think it hurt the rest of my race. 

I think if you had swam some in recent weeks a 1:30 pace would have been fine.  

Remember buddy, this is a sprint! Soo.... you should go hard!

I can relate to the expensive bikes whizzing bye... ugh.  Great job Mike!! Welcome back to the game.

2005-07-20 10:50 AM
in reply to: #201879

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
What a mess in T1. Hey... you got out of the water before the guy with the mondo expensive bike! WOW! That's awesome.
2005-07-21 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
metro Detroit, MI

I am waiting myself for when I do something like that in T1 .

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clark Lake Lion's Triathlon Rss Feed