General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody tried the Winter Maintenance run plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-24 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Anybody tried the Winter Maintenance run plan?
Has anyone given the Winter Maintenance - 8 Weeks RUN FOCUS plan a go?

I'm pretty interested in working on my run after Rev3 (and a week or two break of course)

I'll probably do a bit more swimming than the program calls for, but otherwise stick to it... anybody tried it? Got any input? Good Plan? Better one out there?

Basically looking to drop my 5k - 10k time next season (my run is unproportionately crappy compared to my bike)

2010-08-24 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3060665

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Anybody tried the Winter Maintenance run plan?
what sort of weekly time commitment are you looking for run wise in total mileage or time/ and single day runs?

2010-08-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3060828

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
newbz - 2010-08-24 10:44 AM what sort of weekly time commitment are you looking for run wise in total mileage or time/ and single day runs?

I'm pretty much fine with my current hours (check my logs) and haven't got any issues with even upping it as a whole (I'd prefer to limit my 4+ hour at a time sessions though... although that's more of a bike thing.) a couple more hours/wk. It would be more an issue of what I could handle without injuring myself. I've been doing 70+ months for a bit now and this month I'll probably hit 100mi'ish...  No problem with 2 a days (although 3a days would have to be weekend only due to work)
2010-08-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3060872

User image

Champion
outside of the obvious, just run when you can advice, i had a lot of luck this past winter with a slightly modified half higdon plan.

check out his website if you have not, halhigdon.com and click through some of the plans on there.

I used one of the advanced marathon plans over the winter, knocked the long runs down to a cap at 17 miles for the longest, and replaced the track work with a tempo run.
this is what i used: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/advancedint.htm

he has multiple plans though for all distances, so if you like them, just find one that hits the mileage you feel comfortable with when you start.

while i dont think most of them are 100% enough for the distances, for shorter stuff they do a good job of structuring builds and keeping you healthy while getting in some steady mileage. the beginner/intermediate plans for the diff distances normally have less speed work/more days off per week.

a few weeks in there i added another run some days, or lengthened a few out, and got up to 50+ miles a few weeks.

doing that i dropped a 4 year 5k PR from the upper 18 min range to 16:55.
2010-08-24 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
so how did you continue your swim/bike training? Any changes to it or did you put effort soley into the run and just throw in some s/b to keep fitness?
2010-08-24 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3060914

User image

Champion
My last race of the season last year was a half IM the last weekend of sept.

After that i took approx 2 weeks off anything real (maybe a bit of bike commute and rowing in there, but nothing real to speak of).

From that point (mid oct) i started my running slowly.

about once a week i rode my mountain bike or tri bike is the weather was ok, :45min through 2 hours for the longer one, maybe one swim a week (i normally get back in the water closer to christmas).

through new years i was riding 1-2 times per week, and swimming 1-3 times week up until christmas.

over the xmas/new years holiday i really kicked off the swimming, jumping to 4x and then 6x a week over two weeks.

mid jan through mid feb, swim was 5-6x per week, bike was 1-3 still weather permitting (all outside).

mid feb on biking resumed as normal, quickling building up to 3-5 rides a week.

As i got back on the bike though from all that running, i felt like i had lost nothing at all minus a bit of short distance power (think 20min power or faster).
And that came back FAST.

Now, i may have been a bit faster on the bike had i been riding more, but i also A- am by far the best on the bike, and B- my run was killing me last year, so without that, a tiny bike gain was not going to do me much.

In my first race in april, in a half, i biked about where i thought i would be considering everything, had my slowest paced bike split (11th overall), and then got off and dropped the 2nd place run and moved into 5th overall.

I would have also had a lot more bike mileage in later feb/march but my bike was stolen so that hurt things a bit.

I'm planning on a similar progression this winter with a bit more riding and less swimming (considering a switch to duathlon next year, not enjoying swimming at all).

2010-08-24 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
maybe I need to just follow your logs

Or sign you up as my coach

Rev3 Knox's Oly this year was a real disappointment for me (being hometown and all) and it's certainly becoming less of a "Oh this is coming to my area, I should do it" to "I really want to podium in this race."
2010-08-24 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3061041

User image

Champion
Leegoocrap - 2010-08-24 9:58 AM

maybe I need to just follow your logs

Or sign you up as my coach

Rev3 Knox's Oly this year was a real disappointment for me (being hometown and all) and it's certainly becoming less of a "Oh this is coming to my area, I should do it" to "I really want to podium in this race."

I know that feeling well, my first few seasons i saw thigns go from, oh lets do this race cause its down the street to what can i do to place at this one?

If you follow my logs do so at your own risk, they are not 100% accurate (but do give a general trend).

If you want to talk about specifics shoot me a PM or email at either: [email protected] or [email protected]
2010-08-24 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I'm not familiar with that program.

When I started in tris, running was by far my weakness. IMO, if you're a decent swimmer and biker, then it doesn't take much training to maintain that level. I can go a year or more without swimming, then ramp back up to a decent pace within a month. Same with biking.

For me the focus on running starteda few years ago. During training for a marathon I noticed that my times at every distance improved greatly when I started averaging over 40 miles/week. I didn't maintain that level, but it stuck in my mind. In Sept. 2007 I decided to test this out and ramped up to 40+ miles/week with the intention of holding that level for a few months. I was doing some racing during that time and every race was a huge PR. Encouraged by that I continued to increase the mileage to 50, then 60 and finally just over 70 miles/week. By mid winter 2008 my running had greatly improved. So much so that I PRed every distance from 2 miles up to a BQ marathon in which I took 27 minutes off my previous best time.

When I did tris again in 2009, my swimming and biking skills returned without too much effort, and my running in tris was vastly improved. I was no longer seeing a continuous line of people race by me on the run. I was doing the passing and it felt great.

I never followed a plan. 90% or more of all my running was done at an easy pace. The easy pace allowed me to run almost every day and gradually build mileage. I used races as my speedwork, but in my area there are races almost every weekend year round. My goal in the races was to push myself as hard as I could for as long as I could, then back off a little. I had done most of the races several times before and figured if I blew up is wouldn't be any worse than some of my previous times. The thing was - I never blew up. I started being able to carry that initial effort longer and even when I backed off I was going much faster than before.

Basically it boils down to Scout's advice - run LOTS, mostly easy, sometime hard.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody tried the Winter Maintenance run plan? Rss Feed