General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finishe first tri, well first one after 13 year break Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-24 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: Finishe first tri, well first one after 13 year break
So I just completed my first tri in 13 years this weekend. I wanted to wait until the had the full results up, but they havent done that yet. It was a 1000yd/19.1/6.2. Took me 2:34:51.

I was happy with the out come as I had only been training for about a month. I hadn't yet done that run distance and wasn't sure if I should do the race, you know too much too fast, but I feel fine, I probably wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but I knew I would be ok.

Didn't have any real problems that can't be corrected/overcame. Slight issues were my calves felt cramped after the swim with the wetsuit, probably restricted my blood flow some as I hardly kick at all, didn't know if I'd be able to make it to T1 as it was about 200 yds, but took it slow, after I got the uit off I forgot about it and everything was fine the rest of the way. Issue #2 was with my Tri top, I had run in it before, but only about a mile, and it was no where near as hot as it was the day of the race, had major issues with nipple chaffing, at a couple points I wanted to take off shirt, but I have man boobs lol and so I kept it on, after a while it went away or I ignored it, but they sure did hurt again afterward, and still if I working out, need to find a new shirt.

So this is what I have that I can remember

Swim 1000 yd, out of the water 19:38, like 200 ys to T1 so it was like 20:30 in the results,

T1 2:10, need to work on that, had the calf problems so took my time

Bike 19.1 miles, averaged 18.0mph, course was completely flat, but rather bumpy and a few sharp turns. Up to date I had only done a best of 16.6 on this course, and 17.2 on a shorter.similiar training ride.

T2 0:54, not too bad, can get faster, actually tied my shoes, could get something faster

Run 6.2 miles, run wasn't too bad, I'm not a fast runner and in training the farthest I had gone up to this point was about 3.2. Had problems with my shirt rubbing my nipples raw, I did walk several times probably about 10 times, but every time I did I told my self I need to run. Didn't want to walk then you know how after you walk so far it's hard to get going again, I limited all my walking to about 15-20 seconds top then was running, well jogging again.

Not too bad I don't think. I think I could have pushed more, but just wanted to get one under my belt before I do that. Beat my predicted swim time by about 3 min, bike by about 5, but run was slower than i thought by about 6 min.

2010-08-24 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3060869

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Finishe first tri, well first one after 13 year break
Congrats! You did great. And way to go doing another one after a long break.

I'm sure no one thinks about your man boobs but yes, a lube like BodyGlide or Sportshield roll-on will go a long way towards helping your nips. A close-fitting, dry-tech material shirt (like a tri top) will also help.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finishe first tri, well first one after 13 year break Rss Feed