General Discussion Triathlon Talk » buying used wetsuit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-24 11:02 AM

Subject: buying used wetsuit
hey Folks, question here:

I'm doing Chicago triathlon Olympic distance this weekend.  Unfortunately I waited to get a wetsuit until this week.  

I went to my local tri shop and they only had higher end suits left on the sales rack.  I'm not prepared to spend that much so they offered to sell me one of their rentals.  (I should add that the tri shop is the little sister of my favorite LBS which I have found to be generally fair and honest)

Of the suits available, I had two options that fit:

An older (judging from google images I would say 3-4 years old (see link for image of similiar suit:  http://lagrebilder.no/out.php/i48847_orcaspeedsuitphoto.jpg) Orca Speedsuit for $130 or a 2010 2xu T:0 for $200.  The Orca had a tear in the shoulder approx 1.5-2in long which had been repaired.  I wound up choosing the orca and took it home.  The guy at the shop said they would take care of any other tears i found.  Later that evening, i did find a small tear (approx .5in or slightly less ) on the back of the suit.   

Here is my question:  should I return the Orca due to the tears and get the 2xu because it is newer (better?) than the Orca?  Or should I keep the Orca and get the small tear on the shoulder repaired?

I should add that I will likely pop for a decent wetsuit within the next 2 seasons ($300-$400 range), I just don't want to do it right now, so the $130 is appealing to me,  and it would be nice to have a spare that I could use in the future.  I guess my questions is, does the fact that it has a larger tear that has been repaired and a smaller tear that has not yet been repaired make it a bad buy?   

Thanks in advance for the input!

2010-08-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3061044

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Subject: RE: buying used wetsuit
I can't comment on the tears but I just bought a new 2010 2xu T:0 for $175 so $180 for a used seems a bit steep.  You should also consider which one fits better.  I went with the 2xu over Orca because it fit me much better.  Was also told the neoprene (yamamoto?) was better on the 2xu that the Orca I was looking at.

Edited by Chatagirl 2010-08-24 2:50 PM
2010-08-24 6:02 PM
in reply to: #3061044

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: buying used wetsuit
is the Orca a speedsuit? and not a 'wet'suit?

I dunno'.  I picked up a brand new Orca Sonar this year from Sierra Trading Post for $127. 

if the suit is used, it should be
1.  Cheap, and
2.  not peed in.

especially #2.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » buying used wetsuit Rss Feed