General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-20 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
Subject: HR Training Question
Hi there.

I jumped on the treadmill today after doing only a few runs since April. I decided to strap on the HRM and do an easy 45 min run/walk (3 min run/2 min walk). I was hoping to keep my HR around the 140 mark. I set the treadmill for 3.8 mph (ie just shy of snail's pace of 16 minute miles) and 1 % incline. While walking, my HR dropped to between 115 to 125. However, while running at the same speed, it climbed immediately to the low 140's and 15 minutes in, it climbed as high as 156. Any ideas as to why such a large jump in HR if I am running and walking at the same speed? Also any suggestions as to what I should do to help increase my aerobic endurance?

Some background info: 40 yr old female, max hr as done on the hill test is 184 and resting hr is 48. Prior to April had been running 3 to 4 times/week for 30 to 45 minutes at avg pace of 12 to 13:30 min/mile. No swimming, biking or other cardio since March.

Thanks.
Dee

2005-07-20 10:36 PM
in reply to: #203436

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: HR Training Question

I know that when I force myself to run too slow (like with my girlfriend) it is actually much tougher than walking.  If I pick up the pace slightly so that I can use my regular stride it is less effort.  You might try bumping up to a 14-15min mile and see if that helps at all. 

Increasing your aerobic endurance is relatively simple...LSD (long slow distance).  The key is to go slow enough to keep your HR in the lower zone even if it feels like you are being lazy.  Give it 2-3 months of doing this 3 times per week and you'll see improvements. 

2005-07-21 9:59 AM
in reply to: #203436

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: HR Training Question

TH3_FRB had a good suggestion - usually running pace should be somewhat faster than your walking pace.

I know for me, that running is MUCH harder than walking, even if about the same pace (or a little faster.)  So, I am working on it and I have seen improvements - but running I will see my HR rise to the levels that you are experiencing, then I walk for a minute which brings it back down to about 132-136.  Then I run again.  I'm able to run for longer now than a month ago - so I think it's a fitness/time thing.  As well, for me, running is the hardest of the three (mostly due to weight) - which may or may not apply to you.  Use what you did today as a benchmark (write it down somewhere) and check it again in a month - you should see improvements.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training Question Rss Feed