General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First time triathlon at Deer Creek Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-17 6:29 PM

Columbus, Ohio
Subject: First time triathlon at Deer Creek
I've never been on a board before but I am excited to get some encouragement and tips from all of you veterans. I am going to do the Deer Creek mini triathlon this Saturday (2 days from now) My history is that I did a sprint triathlon two years ago and I was hooked. However, I got pregnant and had my son who is now a year old. So I basically have been out of "real" training for 1 1/2 years. Now, without a whole lot of specific tri training, I will be doing the mini and I am very excited to cross the finish line! I am very nervous about the swim as I am sure most beginners are but feel I will make it through the rest o.k.

How long before the start of the race (I start at 7am) should I eat and should I do the gels during the race? Please help with any advice you can. Thanks. P.S. I usually have to wait at least 1 - 1 1/2 hrs to workout after I've eaten!

2003-09-17 7:56 PM
in reply to: #864

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: just about an olympic?

coach Jay has an excellant pre-race nutrition post at http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/thread-view.asp?threadid=151

your doing just about an olympic...but 0.6mile instead of 1 on the swim right?  what did i do for about the same distance?  i didn't change too much so my stomach wouldn't be disagreable with all the butterflies.  had a decent dinner night before - not necessarily carbo loaded.  espresso in the morning (of course), powershake too (normal) - i stayed away from solid food in the morning, which was pretty much usual like any other day.  a gel before the swim, gel in t1, 2-3 gels during bike with some gatorade and one gel in t2.  finished decent (back of the packer - but finished)  never really felt 'tired' or 'weary'. 

i would tend to think (from my experience) that 'liquid' food (powershakes and such) dosed into your body over about a half hour will not irritate your stomach...of course if your not used to shakes in the morn than don't change!

hope this helps!

by the way...what has your training consisted of?  can't wait to hear your race report!!!  good luck! 

i think we r in for a good weekend, huh?

2003-09-18 5:52 AM

cincinnati oh
Subject: RE: First time triathlon at Deer Creek
It's going to be my first Tri at Deer Creek as well. I don't have any veteran tips but just wanted to wish you luck. I'll be competing in the "mini" as well. I have done a mini "mini" for training at about 2/3rd of the race (.5 swim, 20mile bike, 4 mile run) distance just to get used to moving from one exercise to the next. I just had G-ade on the bike portion and water after the bike. At those distances I did not need a lot of re-energizing and felt OK. I'm going to eat toast and honey in the am (what I used to eat before Cross Country meets) and go with gatorade and a gel in each T zone. If I'm feeling whopped the plan is to grab a gel on the run course. Good Luck
2003-09-18 6:17 AM

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
Subject: Eating before competition
First, congradlations on getting back into/getting into tri. This has been my first year and I am really looking forward to putting in some serious training this winter so I can come out strong next year. I would recommend not changing your diet too much from what you normally eat the morning of the race. Racing is pretty nerve racking to me which doesn't help my digestion. I typically load up the night before, but eat very light the morning of the race. When I ran a short Deercreek course earlier this year (.75/22/4) they had to delay the start by an hour to let the fog clear so the swimmers could see the buoys. The same thing happened at the other tri I ran. Just don't let a possible delay get on your nerves too much. The bike course is pretty flat except when you get towards the end and have to climb the hill next to the dam.

Good luck and give everyone a race recap to let us know how you do.
2003-09-18 8:36 AM
in reply to: #866

Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: just about an olympic?
I'm not sure what an olympic distance is but the swim is .6mi, bike 28 and run 6.5. Thanks for the tips on the shakes, that sounds like a great idea. I will check out the pre race info as well. Looking forward to Saturday, and I sure hope we're in for a good weekend. I will let you know how I do.
2003-09-18 8:42 AM
in reply to: #875

Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Eating before competition
Thanks for the tips on the course and the delays, that is good to know. I will definately give a recap on how I did. I will also be trying to hit it hard this winter so that I can come out strong next spring/summer. I am so excited for my new journey into Triathlons!!

2003-09-18 8:52 AM
in reply to: #877

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: olympic length

~ 1mile swim, 25mile bike, 6mile run...

good luck this weekend...i just remembered...that hurricane may stir things up here...bring wet-weather gear.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First time triathlon at Deer Creek Rss Feed