General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How brutal is the Tucson Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-15 7:08 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: How brutal is the Tucson Marathon
Trying to figure out what marathon I should train for.  I might be able to get ready for Tucson in Mid-December, but that 2000ft drop seems brutal on the quads and knees (I'd rather run up Mt. Lemmon). 

Light downhills are nice, but are there long stretches where it steep enough to force you to use your quads to slow down with each step?  From those whom have run it- How brutal is it?

PFChangs R&R in Jan or Lost Dutchman in Feb are other good options, and do give me more time to build my base.

2010-09-15 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3101061

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-16 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3101061

Veteran
Subject: RE: How brutal is the Tucson Marathon
I have done the Tucson Marathon twice, the PF Chang half twice, and the Dutchman full and half each once.  I think the Chang course is boring and crowded, but fun since it is a Rock and Roll event.  Tucson is OK, but it is not ALL downhill as advertised.  A lot of people who think it going to be fast complain about that.  I didn't find it killed my quads anymore than any other long race, but I am slow so maybe I don't feel it. 

But, I would HIGHLY recommend the Dutchman!  It is a beautiful moderately hilly course, and one of the best supported events I have done.  They have fires and carpets to sit on at the start, plus some group had cookies and coffee (oatmeal - oatmeal cookies, sort of the same?).  There is plenty of water/gatorade stops and port-o-johns along the way.  The scenery, especially early on in the state park as the sun comes up, is beautiful.  And then you get breakfast burritos at the end.  Although there long sleeve shirt is usually pretty ugly, the medal is great.

If I was choosing I would definatley do the Dutchman again.  However, this year I am doing Rock and Roll Las Vegas in December, and Surf City in February.
2010-09-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3101109

Pro
Subject: RE: How brutal is the Tucson Marathon?
fe-lady - 2010-09-15 5:44 PM ...There IS a Mt. Lemmon Marathon-next month, so if you want to can do that...but it's not a BQ either... 

that would be amazing if someone BQed on the Mt. Lemmon marathon.  I saw a chick running up the mountain 2 weeks ago- and it sure looked like she was hittin' close to an 8min/mi.  She went right up to ski valley as well.  Very impressive.

the Mt. Lemmon Marathon isn't a marathon... it's an Ultra (in my book).

My goals.  Gawd- I hope it's not just to finish the distance.  I want to complete a strong training program and do a solid run.  A BQ isn't out of the question for me, but I won't be shooting for that, as I know it would just make me go out too fast. 

thanks- I've heard great things about the Lost Dutchman and have a friend who told me he's interested in that one as well.  could be a nice choice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How brutal is the Tucson Marathon Rss Feed